25

Who do you think is the most memorable movie character ever and why?

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 12:05 pm
For me, it's a tie between Hannibal Lecter and Indiana Jones. The answer to this question, I think, tells a great deal about a person. I am new here, so I figure it is a good way for me to get to know some of you. Your thoughts?

ehBeth

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 12:11 pm
@Charlie Concord,
Osgood in Some Like it Hot

I saw this film as a small child. I've always remembered Osgood's lovely acceptance of all the things which Geraldine/Jerry presented as obstacles to a relationship.
Charlie Concord

0  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 12:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks! I have actually never seen this flick. I think it is cool how our personalities, especially as impressionable children, are shaped by characters we are drawn to.

Ragman

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 12:34 pm
From the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)", the lawyer Atticus Finch.
ossobuco

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 12:40 pm
Nino Manfredi in Down and Dirty (Brutti, sporchi e cattivi in Italian, directed by Ettore Scola) or
Nino Manfredi in Bread and Chocolate (Pane e Cioccolata in Italian, directed by Franco Brusati)

Wonderful acting in films that were dramatic, comic, sad, and wise in varied ways
Charlie Concord

0  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 01:51 pm
@Ragman,
Classic. Did you hear about the book sequel?

Charlie Concord

0  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 01:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Never seen these. I will keep them in mind.

0  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 02:15 pm
@Charlie Concord,
toss up
its either Samuel Jackson in his role as Jules in "PULP FICTION"
or , Paul Scofield as Sir Thomas More in "A Man for All Season"

As an allaround greatest living movie actor today, Its gotta be Tom Hanks. His versatility and competence probablyput him among the top 5 living actors.
Charlie Concord

0  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 03:50 pm
Wow. Good call. Samuel Jackson is so memorable.

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 03:51 pm
I have to get settled down from the day's activities before I can think much about it, but I do want to say that Dustin Hoffman played several of them.
Setanta

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 03:58 pm
I thought Ratso Rizzo by Hoffman was one of the greatest character roles.

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ps/317/454/3174549_300.jpg
ossobuco

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 04:02 pm
@Setanta,
Absolutely.

Roberta

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 04:19 pm
Mouse Alexander (Don Cheadle) in Devil in a Blue Dress. Small part but it's stuck in my head.

Patton in Patton.

Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Charlie Concord

0  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 04:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
He is such a great actor. His story of how he learned by watching people is pretty cool too.

0  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 04:51 pm
I agree about Patton.

I will get some flack for including Tom Cruise as Ron Kovic, in Born on the Fourth of July.

ossobuco

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 05:00 pm
Back to Down and Dirty and Bread and Chocolate, as I failed to name Nino Manfredi's characters and links would have been helpful, sorry about that.

Down and Dirty has had various titles. When I saw it (several times over a bunch of years), that was the name.
Here's imdb on it -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074252/
The name of his character was Giacinto Mazzatella, which I'm sure I forgot immediately if not sooner.

Bread and Chocolate -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070506/
his character was Nino Garofalo

0  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 05:01 pm
I also love Liza Dolittle and Henry Higgins.

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 05:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I never got "The Graduate" but my fvorite Hoffman Role was his Jack Crabb and Little Big Man in "Little Big Man"

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 05:14 pm
That's the thing about Hoffman. If you don't care for one great role, he has lots more to choose from.

engineer

2  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 05:23 pm
@Charlie Concord,
Darth Vader. As a icon of perfect evil, he was ideal, using mystical powers to choke to death bearers of bad news, betraying his mentors, towering in black over his minions. Then comes the act of redemption. Do you think you could find anyone even slightly into movies who would not recognize the character and have an opinion?

Second vote would be Harry Potter, but he was a book character before a movie character. If we opened that up, the list gets a lot bigger.