Who do you think is the most memorable movie character ever and why?

Sun 31 May, 2015 12:05 pm
For me, it's a tie between Hannibal Lecter and Indiana Jones. The answer to this question, I think, tells a great deal about a person. I am new here, so I figure it is a good way for me to get to know some of you. Your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 25 • Views: 9,531 • Replies: 100
Topic Closed

ehBeth

Sun 31 May, 2015 12:11 pm
@Charlie Concord,
Osgood in Some Like it Hot

I saw this film as a small child. I've always remembered Osgood's lovely acceptance of all the things which Geraldine/Jerry presented as obstacles to a relationship.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 31 May, 2015 12:34 pm
From the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)", the lawyer Atticus Finch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 31 May, 2015 12:40 pm
Nino Manfredi in Down and Dirty (Brutti, sporchi e cattivi in Italian, directed by Ettore Scola) or
Nino Manfredi in Bread and Chocolate (Pane e Cioccolata in Italian, directed by Franco Brusati)

Wonderful acting in films that were dramatic, comic, sad, and wise in varied ways
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 31 May, 2015 02:15 pm
toss up
its either Samuel Jackson in his role as Jules in "PULP FICTION"
or , Paul Scofield as Sir Thomas More in "A Man for All Season"

As an allaround greatest living movie actor today, Its gotta be Tom Hanks. His versatility and competence probablyput him among the top 5 living actors.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 31 May, 2015 03:51 pm
I have to get settled down from the day's activities before I can think much about it, but I do want to say that Dustin Hoffman played several of them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 31 May, 2015 03:58 pm
I thought Ratso Rizzo by Hoffman was one of the greatest character roles.

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ps/317/454/3174549_300.jpg
ossobuco

Sun 31 May, 2015 04:02 pm
@Setanta,
Absolutely.
0 Replies

Roberta

Sun 31 May, 2015 04:19 pm
Mouse Alexander (Don Cheadle) in Devil in a Blue Dress. Small part but it's stuck in my head.

Patton in Patton.

Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 31 May, 2015 04:51 pm
I agree about Patton.

I will get some flack for including Tom Cruise as Ron Kovic, in Born on the Fourth of July.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 31 May, 2015 05:00 pm
Back to Down and Dirty and Bread and Chocolate, as I failed to name Nino Manfredi's characters and links would have been helpful, sorry about that.

Down and Dirty has had various titles. When I saw it (several times over a bunch of years), that was the name.
Here's imdb on it -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074252/
The name of his character was Giacinto Mazzatella, which I'm sure I forgot immediately if not sooner.

Bread and Chocolate -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070506/
his character was Nino Garofalo
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 31 May, 2015 05:01 pm
I also love Liza Dolittle and Henry Higgins.
farmerman

Sun 31 May, 2015 05:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I never got "The Graduate" but my fvorite Hoffman Role was his Jack Crabb and Little Big Man in "Little Big Man"
edgarblythe

Sun 31 May, 2015 05:14 pm
@farmerman,
That's the thing about Hoffman. If you don't care for one great role, he has lots more to choose from.
0 Replies

engineer

Sun 31 May, 2015 05:23 pm
@Charlie Concord,
Darth Vader. As a icon of perfect evil, he was ideal, using mystical powers to choke to death bearers of bad news, betraying his mentors, towering in black over his minions. Then comes the act of redemption. Do you think you could find anyone even slightly into movies who would not recognize the character and have an opinion?

Second vote would be Harry Potter, but he was a book character before a movie character. If we opened that up, the list gets a lot bigger.
engineer

Sun 31 May, 2015 06:43 pm
But then are they recognizable because they are a movie character or primarily from the book? Romeo and Juliet are two of the most recognizable characters world wide and well woven into most Western cultures. They've been in movies, but were those memorable movie characters or are they known primarily from the public's non-movie experience?

I guess I should ask you as the original poster to better define "memorable" and "movie character". What does memorable mean to you? Left a lasting impression on the viewer? Made a significant impact on the culture? And does movie character mean that the character is best known from the movie as opposed to book, play, cultural reference, historical reference or does that not matter?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 31 May, 2015 06:52 pm
@engineer,
Oh, somehow that reminds me, but.. it started with a book by Newton Thornbird. I liked that too, read it after I saw the movie, but the movie was up there among those I have best liked ever.

Cutter's Way, John Heard, so good - as Alex Cutter
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082220/
He made Cutter come alive.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sun 31 May, 2015 06:55 pm
Let's not forget Jack Nicholson in "One flew over the cuckoo's " or "Shining"

Then Robert de Niro in many many movies "Awakening" comes to mind with
Robin Williams, who is also very memorable - "Good will hunting" or
"Good morning Vietnam" and so on.....
farmerman

Sun 31 May, 2015 07:10 pm