25

Who do you think is the most memorable movie character ever and why?

Charlie Concord

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 06:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Both look interesting. Down and Dirty sounds pretty messed up, in a good-for-movies kind of way. Thanks for sharing.

Charlie Concord

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 06:24 pm
@engineer,
I see no reason to draw a line to exclude book characters. That would exclude James Bond, as well as one of my picks, Hannibal Lecter. Anyway, it may make the list get bigger, but that just might make it more interesting.
engineer

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 06:43 pm
@Charlie Concord,
But then are they recognizable because they are a movie character or primarily from the book? Romeo and Juliet are two of the most recognizable characters world wide and well woven into most Western cultures. They've been in movies, but were those memorable movie characters or are they known primarily from the public's non-movie experience?

I guess I should ask you as the original poster to better define "memorable" and "movie character". What does memorable mean to you? Left a lasting impression on the viewer? Made a significant impact on the culture? And does movie character mean that the character is best known from the movie as opposed to book, play, cultural reference, historical reference or does that not matter?
ossobuco

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 06:52 pm
@engineer,
Oh, somehow that reminds me, but.. it started with a book by Newton Thornbird. I liked that too, read it after I saw the movie, but the movie was up there among those I have best liked ever.

Cutter's Way, John Heard, so good - as Alex Cutter
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082220/
He made Cutter come alive.

CalamityJane

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 06:55 pm
Let's not forget Jack Nicholson in "One flew over the cuckoo's " or "Shining"

Then Robert de Niro in many many movies "Awakening" comes to mind with
Robin Williams, who is also very memorable - "Good will hunting" or
"Good morning Vietnam" and so on.....

0  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 07:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
we have but ne 'most memorable'.I cheated by saying it was a tossup for me

jcboy

3  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 07:17 pm
No wire hangers! Razz

Charlie Concord

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 07:48 pm
@engineer,
Those are certainly fair and thoughtful questions. I do think some vagueness in the question leaves room for some personal interpretation. To me, that leads to interesting answers. Anyway, I will do my best to answer your questions.

If you think of Romeo and/or Juliet, for example, as memorable movie characters, then so be it. I simply mean to not exclude movie characters because they were first in literature.

Next, to me, memorable means having a lasting impression on the viewer, as you suggested it might. In other words, a character whom you were so drawn to that they have an important part in your personal history. For me, Indiana Jones was so memorable because of the many times my brother and I watched the films together while growing up. The memory of watching those films with my brother, I feel, was made possible by the character of Indiana Jones.

If memorable means to you, however, that they made a significant impact on the culture, as you also suggested, and that makes this question more enjoyable for you, then by all means, approach the question from that perspective.

As to your last question, a character, I think may be more well know from a book, play, etc., but may also be memorable to you as a movie character. Ghandi, few would argue, was much more memorable as a historic figure than as a character in a movie. However, Ben Kingsley's performance, and the movie character Ghandi, may also be memorable to you.

I hope that helps answer the detailed questions you had.

Charlie Concord

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 07:50 pm
@CalamityJane,
Jack Nicholson in the Shining is such a good call. He is so memorable that I can picture that face and I have never seen the movie (I know... a crime, especially since I read the book).

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 08:34 pm
@CalamityJane,
I liked him better, snarling, "You can't handle the truth."
Ragman

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 10:15 pm
Dorothy in Wizard of Oz

Jaqen

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 11:09 pm
@Charlie Concord,
Verbal/Keyser Soze (Kevin Spacey) in the Usual Suspects.
FBM

1  
Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 11:29 pm
@Jaqen,
Good choice. But I have to go with Clint Eastwood as The Man With No Name in the spaghetti westerns, Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, etc.
Olivier5

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 01:03 am
The Tramp.

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 02:18 am
James Woods in Salvador.

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/salvador-1986/large_2I9Rp19LT8zjS0aGbT5MHSefb1c.jpg

Frank Apisa

0  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 03:52 am
http://www.sleightsofmind.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Hannibal-Lecter-hannibal-lecter-24822525-320-244.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/bluinkalchemist/samuel_l_jackson.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Godfather15_flip.jpg

Obviously more than just one.

Why? Just because.

I'm sure I will think of others right after I click on REPLY.

Charlie Concord

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 04:31 am
@FBM,
85 years old yesterday. Happy Birthday Clint
FBM

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 05:11 am
@Charlie Concord,
Yeah, I found that out earlier today. Maybe that's why he was on my mind. Even so, Clint was my childhood hero, rather than John Wayne, who was a little ahead of my time.

Setanta

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 06:42 am
For years i had a hard time taking Clint seriously, because of Rowdy Yates on the television series Rawhide.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32600000/-Clint-as-Rowdy-Yates-clint-eastwood-32643736-500-360.png
FBM

1  
Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 06:46 am
@Setanta,
Everybody's gotta start somewhere, I reckon.