THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:31 pm
George

Quote:
But you have no standing, no right to demand an answer.

Do you dispute the factual basis for what constitutes international law? Do you assert that these facts necessarily mean that anyone who acknowledges them therefore suscribes to the precept that might generally makes right in all human affairs? Alternatively one could suppose that, lacking a trustworthy world government, one might believe that for sovereign nations might makes right is the best that is available for them, but not applicable generally in human affairs.

In short are you after real understanding, or are you just trying to make a sophomoric debating point?

I'm not demanding an answer at all. I simply asked a question. If you don't feel like answering, that's fine with me.

I appreciate the fact that you had pertinent follow up questions, but until you answer my original question, you also have neither standing nor right to demand an answer, sir.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:32 pm
On the international front, the US is uniquely loud and, while the rest of us sit back and watch, involves itself in an inordinate amount of preening.

America is really the french poodle of nations.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:33 pm
ican711nm wrote:
old europe wrote:
...Therefore [states] wouldn't accept any legislative process outside their own consent. It follows that they would follow their own counsel when it comes to interpretation of their commitments under international law.

This does not apply to treaties between two or more states. In such case, the other state or states that are parties to the treaty have whatever rights the treaty grants them in the event of their perception of a violation of the treaty by one or more of those parties.

I cannot see how this wouldn't apply to Iraq, then. If you argue that international law is what you accept as international law, and violations of international law are violations, then you would have to admit that, if Iraq says it didn't violate any laws, it didn't.

Iraq signed an armistice agreement with the UN (i.e., a treaty with the UN) obliging it to meet certain specific terms of that treaty. Multiple resolutions were passed by the UN alleging certain violations of that treaty by Iraq, and attempting to persuade Iraq to stop violating that treaty. If as alleged, Iraq violated that treaty, Iraq violated that which it had previously agreed to obey. Consequently, Iraq's claim that it didn't violate that treaty does not by itself constitute a veto of the UN's allegation.

Ican, big contradiction here. Either you can argue that both parties have certain rights and obligations. Then those obligations would be limited to the parties of a treaty.

So you're saying that "Iraq signed an armistice agreement with the UN (i.e., a treaty with the UN) obliging it to meet certain specific terms of that treaty." But you're saying as well that "parties to the treaty have whatever rights the treaty grants them in the event of their perception of a violation of the treaty by one or more of those parties."

See: the parties were Iraq and the UN. The UN perceived no violation which would have resulted in a mandate to invade Iraq.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Because we don't believe that the other justifications you present had anything to do at all with why we attacked Iraq. Nothing at all. They are just convienent excuses used now to explain away our sins. Sheesh Cycloptichorn
Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
We may be a poodle, but I vehemently object to being characterized as a French poodle.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:35 pm
"there was no mandate to not invade Iraq "

Smile

silly person

it doesnt work like that

you cant have a mandate not to do something

its like saying the UN never resolved not to be American
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:36 pm
old europe wrote:
Via your definition, georgeob1, that international law is "that set of norms and rights which sovereign nations generally accept":

The Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court was signed by 97 souvereign nations. I would call this general acceptance.

It was not signed by China, Iraq, Israel, Libya, Qatar and Yemen. And the USA.

There are about 150 nations in the world, so your implication about the number of non-signatories is incorrect. I also believe that India and Pakistan, Bangladesh, Egypt, Russia, Ukraine, Iran, Saudi Arabia and many other populous states have also rejected this foolish treaty. You have grossly misrepresented the facts of the matter.

Governments representing a large majority of the world's population have rejected this treaty.

The key question you have posed is, "Should acceptance of the treaty of Rome which established the ICC become a mandatory element of international law, given these facts and the willingness of the signatories of the treaty to forcibly enforce their will?"

I will leave that answer to you.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:37 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
"there was no mandate to not invade Iraq "

Smile

silly person

it doesnt work like that

you cant have a mandate not to do something

its like saying the UN never resolved not to be American

Exactly. It's like saying "Saddam didn't have a mandate to invade Kuwait. Therefore it was legal".
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:38 pm
The signatories are here
http://untreaty.un.org/ENGLISH/bible/englishinternetbible/partI/chapterXVIII/treaty10.asp
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:39 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
There are about 150 nations in the world, so your implication about the number of non-signatories is incorrect. I also believe that India and Pakistan, Bangladesh, Egypt, Russia, Ukraine, Iran, Saudi Arabia and many other populous states have also rejected this foolish treaty. You have grossly misrepresented the facts of the matter.

Governments representing a large majority of the world's population have rejected this treaty.

The key question you have posed is, "Should acceptance of the treaty of Rome which established the ICC become a mandatory element of international law, given these facts and the willingness of the signatories of the treaty to forcibly enforce their will?"

I will leave thart answer to you.

97 nations have ratified or acceded to the ICC Statute. 42 other states have signed but not yet ratified the treaty.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:43 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

I will leave that answer to you.

Not really my key question, but a very interesting question indeed. Should it become a mandatory element of international law? Why shouldn't it? Even the United States signed it initially, before Bush withdrew the signature.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:44 pm
But they don't include China, India, Pakistan, and others. My point stands.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:48 pm
Interesting that we are on the same list of non-signatories as many other countries with massive human rights violations and ethical issues. Good bedfellows, eh?

Cyclopichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:48 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
We may be a poodle, but I vehemently object to being characterized as a French poodle.

Yes, of course. But it is France which the US most resembles in their mutual grandiose notions regarding how each is the fount of the purest liberties, to which all other nations ought to aspire.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:52 pm
yes agree blatham, there is sometimes the most insufferable arrogance about both
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:55 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
But they don't include China, India, Pakistan, and others. My point stands.

Well, but Bangladesh, Egypt, the Russian Federation, Ukraine and the Islamic Republic of Iran as well as many other populous states have signed the treaty.

So, what's your point, exactly?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:08 pm
<drops in to see if anybody is willing to continue the discussion>
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:10 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
yes agree blatham, there is sometimes the most insufferable arrogance about both

nice to see you steve.

Yes, like two particularly thin but obstreperous prima donna homosexuals at a fashion show, it's why they despise each other with such catty pretence of aloofness.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:17 pm
oe

I'm willing to carry on discussing, its the others I worry about

Smile

blatham, thanks, nice to "see" you too

I was away for a while, had to read a book you recommended, but now nearly beyond the preface, so there is hope

Now to more serious matters

Blix says war motivated by oil
07:46 AEST Thu Apr 7 2005
AAP

AP - Former UN chief weapons inspector Hans Blix has said that oil was one of the reasons for the US-led invasion of Iraq, a Swedish news agency reports.

"I did not think so at first. But the US is incredibly dependent on oil," news agency TT quoted Blix as saying at a security seminar in Stockholm.

"They wanted to secure oil in case competition on the world market becomes too hard."

from

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=4124
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:20 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
oe

I'm willing to carry on discussing, its the others I worry about

Smile

More than I could hope for!

Very Happy

It's a shame you usually only have discussions with people you disagree with... I really should start posting in the other forums...

<going back to follow the A2K election campaigns>
0 Replies