THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:23 am
The word of the day is 'innuendo'.

in·nu·en·do Audio pronunciation of "innuendo" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ny-nd)
n. pl. in·nu·en·does

1. An indirect or subtle, usually derogatory implication in expression; an insinuation.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:45 am
The real reason Bush invaded Iraq in his own words;

Quote:

[Abbas said that at Aqaba, Bush promised to speak with Sharon about the siege on Arafat. He said nobody can speak to or pressure Sharon except the Americans.

According to Abbas, immediately thereafter Bush said: "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."]

Source
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:09 am
George wrote

"No, it is a nightmare only for those who - in defiance of all the facts and the evident conclusions of rational consideration of them - cling to this fantasy.

The real story os much more direct and believable than the fantastic and highly contrived explanations you persistently offer on this subject."

All I am interested in is the truth, as far as it is possible to know. Nothing could be more fantastic or highly contrived than the notion that invading Iraq was to suppress terrorism, or disarm that country of weaponry it did not have. I agree the simplest answer often gets nearest the truth. What could be simpler or more understandable than securing supplies of oil, a vital resource that we all depend on - which is becoming harder to find and extract?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:19 am
Geli writes
Quote:

No, you're quoting 'the real reason Bush invaded Iraq' in Abbas' own words. A little precision please. Interesting source that.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:30 am
Foxfyre wrote about her congresswoman:

"Somebody asked her, "So oil was not an issue?"

She said, oil was an issue only to the point that Saddam controls a significant part of the world's oil reserve and it was not in the interest of anybody that he be given opportunity to control more of it. Oil for our own use was not even on the radar screen as a reason for why Iraq was invaded."

So she admitted oil was an issue. But not for America. So if we follow the logic, one of the reasons the US invaded Iraq was to secure oil for everyone else.

Well thank you very much, that really was most generous. Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:00 am
Thanks for the great link Revel!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:32 pm
Thanks clylop.

Foxfrye, you seemed to question whether it was Abbas or Bush who said what Gel put in the quote; because it was someone saying something that someone else said to him. Yet you expect us to believe that you had that conversation with a congressional representative on just your word.

I believe you did, I have no reason not to believe it.

Just like I don't think it out of realms of possibilities that Bush said what Abbas said he said.

I suppose next we are going to have a grammar/dictionary lesson on probable and possible which is impossible to prove either way but it gives credence to the idea that it is not probable.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:04 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

(I am of course paraphrasing her remarks but this is the gist of it.)

I would suggest that everybody have this conversation face to face with your elected congressperson or at least inquire via telephone or e-mail. And compare his/her answers now with his/her remarks prior to or during the initial phase of the Iraqi invasion. You'll find that some of the most virulent of the President's opposition were talking a much different game then than they are now. My congressperson has not changed her stance in the least from then to now.

I presume if one believes that their elected officials are or were lying or deluded (or had been totally tricked by the former and present administrations), such person has an inside track on what the true motives were and have just been unable to convince the media that the government has run amuck. Or maybe such person actually believes his/her own propaganda.

I'm not picking on Steve because his opinions here are typical of those who are in opposition to the present administration. But it's all propaganda other than what is actually on the record. And what's on the record is virtually identical to what was on the record in the Clinton adminsitration. To assume motives other than what is on the reocrd is simply an assumption that doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

It is simply not true that Bush had the same information that others did.
He was warned about how weak his argument of WMD was when he went to war but chose to ignore it.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/they_knew_0802/

Quote:
But such an unprovoked invasion of a sovereign country required a public rationale. And so the Bush administration struck fear into the hearts of Americans about Saddam Hussein's supposed WMD, starting with nuclear arms. In his first major address on the "Iraqi threat" in October 2002, President Bush invoked fiery images of mushroom clouds and mayhem, saying, "Iraq is reconstituting its nuclear weapons program."

Yet, before that speech, the White House had intelligence calling this assertion into questionthere was no indication Iraq ever achieved nuclear capability or had any physical capacity for producing weapons-grade nuclear material in the near future.

In February 2001, the CIA delivered a report to the White House that said: "We do not have any direct evidence that Iraq has used the period since Desert Fox to reconstitute its weapons of mass destruction programs." Cheney went on national television days before the war and claimed Iraq "has reconstituted nuclear weapons." He was echoed by State Department spokesman Richard Boucher, who told reporters of supposedly grave "concerns about Iraq's potential nuclear programs
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:10 pm
revel wrote:
Thanks clylop.

Foxfrye, you seemed to question whether it was Abbas or Bush who said what Gel put in the quote; because it was someone saying something that someone else said to him. Yet you expect us to believe that you had that conversation with a congressional representative on just your word.

Just like I don't think it out of realms of possibilities that Bush said what Abbas said he said.

I suppose next we are going to have a grammar/dictionary lesson on probable and possible which is impossible to prove either way but it gives credence to the idea that it is not probable.

You can also ask Foxy about that conversation, gauge context, verify statements, etc. In other words, you have a means to ascertain veracity -- you can cross examine her. But the larger point being, I believe, that you said it was Bush's words, when it was not "Bush's words," but rather Abbas' words. You agree?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:16 pm
Quote:
Iraqis Find Graves Thought to Hold Hussein's Victims
By ROBERT F. WORTH

BAGHDAD, Iraq, April 14 - Investigators have discovered several mass graves in southern Iraq that are believed to contain the bodies of people killed by Saddam Hussein's government, including one estimated to hold 5,000 bodies, Iraqi officials say.

The graves, discovered over the past three months, have not yet been dug up because of the risks posed by the continuing insurgency and the lack of qualified forensic workers, said Bakhtiar Amin, Iraq's interim human rights minister. But initial excavations have substantiated the accounts of witnesses to a number of massacres. If the estimated body counts prove correct, the new graves would be among the largest in the grim tally of mass killings that have gradually come to light since the fall of Mr. Hussein's government two years ago. At least 290 grave sites containing the remains of some 300,000 people have been found since the American invasion two years ago, Iraqi officials say.

Forensic evidence from some graves will feature prominently in the trials of Mr. Hussein and the leaders of his government. The trials are to start this spring.

One of the graves, near Basra, in the south, appears to contain about 5,000 bodies of Iraqi soldiers who joined a failed uprising against Mr. Hussein's government after the 1991 Persian Gulf war. Another, near Samawa, is believed to contain the bodies of 2,000 members of the Kurdish clad led by Massoud Barzani.

As many as 8,000 men and boys from the clan disappeared in 1983 after being rounded up in northern Iraq by security forces at the command of Ali Hassan al-Majid, widely known as Chemical Ali. It remains unclear, however, how the victims ended up in the south.

Investigators have also discovered the remains of 58 Kuwaitis spread across several sites, including what appears to be a family of two adults and five children who were crushed by a tank, Mr. Amin said. At least 605 Kuwaitis disappeared at the time of the first gulf war, and before the latest graves were discovered, fewer than 200 had been accounted for, he added.

A smaller site was discovered near Nasiriya earlier this week. Arabic satellite television showed images of residents digging up remains there.

Mr. Amin declined to give the exact locations of the graves, saying it could endanger witnesses to the massacres and anyone working at the sites.

One obstacle to exhuming bodies has been an absence of DNA labs and forensic anthropologists in Iraq, Mr. Amin said.

In the aftermath of Mr. Hussein's fall, thousands of Iraqis overran mass grave sites, digging for their relatives' remains with backhoes, shovels, even their bare hands. A number of sites were looted, making identification of victims difficult, said Hanny Megally, Middle East director for the International Center for Transitional Justice.

The American occupation authority, after some initial hesitation, began classifying grave sites, and international teams began traveling to the sites in 2003 to conduct assessments or exhumations. But toward the end of 2004, rising violence led nearly all the teams to abandon their work.

Only one site has been fully examined, a grave of Kurdish victims in northern Iraq, Mr. Megally said. That work was overseen by the Regime Crimes Liaison Office, which is gathering evidence for the trials of Mr. Hussein and his deputies.

The interim Iraqi government, working with the United Nations, has drawn up plans for a National Center for Missing and Disappeared Persons that would have authority over all aspects of the process, from exhumations to providing assistance to victims' families.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/15/international/middleeast/15graves.html?ei=5065&en=c85059724268b94e&ex=1114228800&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print&position=
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:33 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Geli writes
Quote:

No, you're quoting 'the real reason Bush invaded Iraq' in Abbas' own words. A little precision please. Interesting source that.

So I take it from your reply that you think Abbas would intentionaly lie about Bush's statement? If you read the source you would have to notice the quotation marks ..... to what end would Abbas lie ... is it that he is jewish? Is that why you don't trust him? Are you saying that you are anti Semitic? A bigot? Is that what you are trying to tell me?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:38 pm
Quote:

You can also ask Foxy about that conversation, gauge context, verify statements, etc. In other words, you have a means to ascertain veracity -- you can cross examine her. But the larger point being, I believe, that you said it was Bush's words, when it was not "Bush's words," but rather Abbas' words. You agree?

Well, in these days of reporting, where do you draw this line?

I agree with you that the correct phrasing would have been 'according to Abbas, Bush said the following:' But there is something to be said for Revel's side of the argument as well, as so much of what we hear, read, and know about people is really second-hand.

Are only tape-recorded and video-taped messages truly believable? I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on this issue if anyone feels like discussing it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:39 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
So she admitted oil was an issue. But not for America. So if we follow the logic, one of the reasons the US invaded Iraq was to secure oil for everyone else.

So you now allege that one of the reasons Bush&Adm invaded Iraq was to control Saddam's opportunity to control more oil.

Well at least that fantasy is funny! Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:40 pm
Well, wasn't one of the STATED reasons that we went into Iraq that we wanted to stop Saddam's ability to threaten other countries? And who do they have a history of threatening in the last fifteen years, and why?

I mean, that's not a fantastic idea, that's one of the major justifications for the war given to the American people.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:55 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, wasn't one of the STATED reasons that we went into Iraq that we wanted to stop Saddam's ability to threaten other countries? And who do they have a history of threatening in the last fifteen years, and why? I mean, that's not a fantastic idea, that's one of the major justifications for the war given to the American people. Cycloptichorn
Laughing

Oh, so now you are alleging that a major threat to other countries was that Saddam might get an opportunity to control more oil! I infer you think one of the real motive for the US invasion of Iraq was to terminate that threat to other countries? They say anything is possible! Shocked

By damn that implies we are an altruistic country! I never even suspected it. And to think, I thought the major reason for invading Iraq was strictly our self-interest motive of preventing more al Qaeda being trained to murder more Americans.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 06:14 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
... Are only tape-recorded and video-taped messages truly believable? I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on this issue if anyone feels like discussing it. Cycloptichorn
The credibility of the source contributes far more to the believability of a message than does the medium used by the source to transmit that message. The source's credibility is enhanced by the validity of the source's logic in support of the validity of the source's message. That credibility is further enhanced by the validity of the source's references to support the validity of the source's message. That credibility is still further enhanced by the validity of the source's analysis of alternative explanations.

Not credibile to me is a source alleging an unverifiable quote or intention of another source, and then using that unverifiable quote or intention to criticize the other source.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 06:38 pm
If I read a quote from someone I know of, but not personally, and I have no reason to not believe that person then I look for a reason for that person to lie. Finding non I grant them validity ..... depending on the probabilty of their statement. I saw Bush tell a reporter when asked if he ever got advice from his father ... his reply was that he asked a higher source. He has made no secret of his religious beliefs.

I feel that it was an accurate quote ... those were
Bush's words. Why is that so hard to fathom?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 06:44 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
revel wrote:
Thanks clylop.

This is an old story with more sources than I can name. I am sure at the time questions were asked and context was gauged.

I never said it was Bush's words. Gel quoted a quote from Abass and said it was Bush's own words. I said it seems that foxfrye questioned Abass words in which he repeated Bush's words.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:00 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
I feel that it was an accurate quote ... those were
Bush's words. Why is that so hard to fathom?

Easy to fathom; hard to believe. It's hard to believe because it conflicts with what I heard Bush say and the 9/11 Commission reported that Bush said were his reasons for invading Iraq.

For example:
Quote:
1. President Bush announced to the nation, Tuesday night, 9/11/2001, that our war was not only with the terrorists who have declared war on us, it is also with those governments that “harbor” terrorists. President Bush announced to the nation, to Congress and to the rest of the world, Thursday night, 9/20/2001, that our war was not only with the terrorists who have declared war on us, it is also with those governments that “support” terrorists.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:04 pm
Do you all think Abbas said those words or not? If you do think he said those words then you all think he is a liar, that is the bottom line.
0 Replies