THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:52 pm
Yes, but how many people do not read beyond the headline. The implication is quite clear don't you think?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:54 pm
No.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:56 pm
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Every day, huh?

Sorry, McG. How about "once in a while" or "every now and then"?

Better?

Perhaps you should stay with the facts. Isn't that what you said?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:57 pm
Fox, I've got no idea whatsoever what "Islam Online" might be, but all the mainstream media are trying to be very objective, focusing on what actually happened and not on Sgrena's theories.....
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:59 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Perhaps you should stay with the facts. Isn't that what you said?

Exactly. So which one would you prefer:

"Once in a while innocent civilians are killed by US soldiers."
"Every now and then innocent civilians are killed by US soldiers."

?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:00 pm
Well Islam Online is very findable, very much widely read, and they are quoting some 'mainline' press, though I don't know whether they are quoting it accurately. I would be the first to say they don't get a whole lot accurately.

Do you have any links we can see what your sources are saying OE?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:01 pm
Did you look at what Old Europe posted one page back, F?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:04 pm
One page back, OE was accusing us of attacking the eye witness.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:04 pm
Weeeell.... I was just reading this interview with Rocco Buttiglione, but it's in German...

The focus is on the funeral, how Washington reacts, that there wasn't to much focus on it in the US....
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:06 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
One page back, OE was accusing us of attacking the eye witness.

Very Happy

I think I was attacking Brand X, not "you" as in "all Americans" or "all conservatives".....
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:07 pm
It is possible that Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena said US occupation forces in Iraq deliberately tried to kill her because Washington opposed negotiations with her kidnappers. It is also possible that Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena is telling a fiction. It is also possible that Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena is a fictional news release written, produced and directed by Michael Moore. It is also possible that all that has been posted here on able2know about Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena is fiction. It is also possible that all but one of the posters here on able2know are fictions. It is also possible that all that I've written here in this post is fiction. Et Cetera! Hell, anything that is not impossible is possible. Laughing

If what truly happened didn't happen, then what did truly happen? Shocked
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:09 pm
Thanks, ican! That was productive!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:10 pm
ican711nm wrote:
It is possible that Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena said US occupation forces in Iraq deliberately tried to kill her because Washington opposed negotiations with her kidnappers. It is also possible that Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena is telling a fiction. It is also possible that Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena is a fictional news release written, produced and directed by Michael Moore. It is also possible that all that has been posted here on able2know about Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena is fiction. It is also possible that all but one of the posters here on able2know are fictions. It is also possible that all that I've written here in this post is fiction. Et Cetera! Hell, anything that is not impossible is possible. Laughing

If what truly happened didn't happen, then what did truly happen? Shocked

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:10 pm
Okay here's this one from the Guardian. As a former member of the press, I can tell you the headline is what the publication feels is the thrust of the story. And, as I said, many never read past the headlines. I still say, the anti-American press is using her implication as proof enough of the U.S. guilt.

Italian hostage accuses US of trying to kill her as thousands mourn her rescuer
John Hooper in Rome
Monday March 7, 2005
The Guardian

The former Italian hostage who saw her rescuer shot dead at a US checkpoint in Baghdad said yesterday they might have been targeted because of US objections to Italy's policy of negotiating with kidnappers.
Giuliana Sgrena, a reporter for the far-left daily Il Manifesto, was wounded as bullets ripped into the car taking her to Baghdad airport to be flown out of Iraq.

In a vivid account, written for her newspaper, she described how Nicola Calipari, the international operations chief of Italy's military intelligence service, was shot in the head as he tried to shield her.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:13 pm
Darn! The 'Guardian' again!

' have the link?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:13 pm
Did you miss this first time round, Fox?
It precedes your post asking old europe to reference a source.

old europe wrote:
German press says this:

News 08.03.2005 00:00 UTC

Italy buries agent killed by US troops

Quote:
In Rome, thousands of Italians have attended a state funeral for an intelligence agent who was killed by US troops in Iraq last Friday. Nicola Calipari was shot dead when US forces fired at the car he was travelling in. He was bringing the Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena to Baghdad airport when he was killed. Sgrena, whose release Calipari had helped negotiate, was injured in the shooting. Among those who attended his funeral were Italian President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi and Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. US officials have rejected Sgrena's suggestion that US forces deliberately attacked them. US President George W. Bush has announced a full investigation.

In reference to your more recent post, if all you are reading is headlines, Foxfyre, I understand a lot more about your level of understanding of the rest of the world. Most of us don't read like that.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:14 pm
back, and to the left...back, and to the left...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:14 pm
Oh yeah I'll get it in a minute. Here's one from The Star
Reporter: US troops tried to kill me

ROME: The Italian journalist wounded by US troops shortly after her month-long kidnap ordeal ended this weekend, fanned a growing diplomatic rift between Rome and Washington yesterday by suggesting that US soldiers deliberately tried to kill her.

Giuliana Sgrena, wounded when the convoy taking her to safety was riddled with bullets by a US patrol near Baghdad airport on Friday, said she may have been a target because the US opposed negotiations with her kidnappers.

"Everyone knows that the Americans don't want hostages to be freed by negotiations, and for that reason, I don't see why I should rule out that I was their target," Sgrena told Sky Italia news channel.
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/3/7/world/10346073&sec=world
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:15 pm
Here's the Guardian link - sorry about that
http://www.guardian.co.uk/italy/story/0,12576,1432041,00.html
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:16 pm
old europe wrote:
Thanks, ican! That was productive!

It's possible it was productive.
It's possible that the discussion thus far about Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena is not productive.
0 Replies