THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:18 pm
ehBeth, you can protest all you want that the anti-American press is not using this woman's [quote]implications [/quote]to put the U.S. in the worst possible light, but it ain't washing with anybody who is really looking at it for what is, not what s/he wishes for it to be.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:21 pm
I think I'll read what she says, not what anyone else says it's supposed to mean.

Life generally works better when you look at the facts, not interpretations.

She may well eventually come out and say "they tried to kill me". But she hasn't done that yet. She's clearly not a fan of the U.S., but that isn't anything new.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:23 pm
Thanks for the link, just read the 'Guardian' article... Still, the fact is that one civilian was killed, right?

I think that's worse than what Ms. Sgrena says....

Especially if
Quote:
the communications minister, Maurizio Gasparri, urged her to show restraint: "I understand the emotion of these hours, but those who have been under stress in the past few weeks should pull themselves together and avoid talking nonsense."
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:24 pm
Well, she obviously thinks she was a target. The woman's delusional. A weasel and an idiot, but definitely delusional.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:26 pm
Thanks, JW! Join in!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:27 pm
I think it's interesting what "La Stampa" says:

Quote:
"And the presence of an American colonel at Baghdad airport along with the Italian officers who were waiting for Sgrena and her liberators, demonstrates that the operation was being conducted in harmony"

0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:28 pm
ehBeth wrote:
... Life generally works better when you look at the facts, not interpretations.

Is it possible that you look at the facts and not someone else's interpretations/perceptions of the facts? Shocked

I don't think so, and it's possible that my thinking is correct.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:30 pm
Well I think ehBeth was not drawing a distinction between what we thought and what the anti-American press wishes for us to think. I submit there is a difference.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:31 pm
Heck, ican!

"It's possible it was productive.
It's possible that the discussion thus far about Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena is not productive."

What do you want to tell us?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:32 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well I think ehBeth was not drawing a distinction between what we thought and what the anti-American press wishes for us to think. I submit there is a difference.

But, what does the anti-American press wish for you to think?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:33 pm
The quotes are consistent from publication to publication.
It is the interpretations and headlines that vary.

Sticking to reading the actual quotes seems most sensible, regardless of your perspective. My view is that we will probably never know the truth about this incident. I would prefer to believe that Ms. Sgrena was not a target, but I do not know that.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:34 pm
She wasn't. I know that. The terrorists should have kept her, though.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:37 pm
Seems the Italians are about to bring the car to Italy:

Quote:
L'auto in cui si trovavano Nicola Calipari, Luciana Sgrena ed un carabiniere del Sismi durante la sparatoria e' stata recuperata. L'auto e' stata presa in consegna dagli investigatori italiani in Iraq e sara' portata in settimana a Roma per essere sottoposta ad accertamenti balistici. Intanto domattina, alle 10, nell'Aula della Camera ci sara' l'informativa urgente del ministro degli Esteri Gianfranco Fini sulla vicenda. Sullo stesso tema Berlusconi interverra' mercoledi' in Senato.

Maybe we'll learn something from that....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:37 pm
It is refreshing to see people like Old Europe, who if I am correct was against the war, is not too thrilled with the 'occupation', or the current administration's policies--but won't allow those feelings to propel him in to embracing this woman's story.

This, IMO, is a perfect example of the virulent partisanship that seems to have this country--and a good deal of the world-- in a stranglehold.

You can be opposed to someone--without grasping at every sliver of negativity that you can find under any nearby rock.

Certainly she has put forward that she thinks it is quite possible that the US attempted to kill her. It is a ludicrous idea, that sprang from either an overactive imagination of a delusional nutbar--or worse--someone, who considers herself a patriot who is willing to say anything to forward her agenda.

She was doing an incredibly dangerous job--some would say brave--others would say irrational. And, she was extremely slanted against the US. She may consider the lie an act of 'patriotism' on behalf of Iraqis--if it will harm the US.

I was glad the White House called it absurd. Also glad they will investigate.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:39 pm
Old Europe asks
Quote:
But, what does the anti-American press wish for you to think?

Well, it seems obvious to me that they are consistent in quoting this woman, but their headlines wish to give the impression that what she is saying is that the Americans wanted to kill her. Wouldn't you draw that conclusion from those three headlines I posted?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:40 pm
JustWonders wrote:
She wasn't. I know that. The terrorists should have kept her, though.

I love conservatives! They care so much about "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"! Beautiful!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:41 pm
Not to mention if they really did pay the terrorists $6M, it will be going to kill United States soldiers.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:45 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well, it seems obvious to me that they are consistent in quoting this woman, but their headlines wish to give the impression that what she is saying is that the Americans wanted to kill her. Wouldn't you draw that conclusion from those three headlines I posted?

Well, they are consistent in quoting her. And if you bother to read the article, it says

Quote:
In an interview broadcast by Sky Italia, Sgrena said: "The United States does not approve of this policy and so they try to stop it in any way possible."

But the communications minister, Maurizio Gasparri, urged her to to show restraint: "I understand the emotion of these hours, but those who have been under stress in the past few weeks should pull themselves together and avoid talking nonsense."
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:52 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Not to mention if they really did pay the terrorists $6M, it will be going to kill United States soldiers.

It's possible JW that all this discussion about possible US culpability is to serve no other purpose than to distract us from discussing the real issue--the very issue you have just raised.

If the Italian government did pay the extortion of the terrorists, then they will have guaranteed that the terrorists will kidnap an Italian notable whenever they are short of cash. That of course will guarantee them a way to cause the Italian government to finance terrorism while they seek other sources of funding like say George Soros.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:52 pm
Okay I'm going to type very very slowly here so everybody can follow.

I read the articles. I concede the news stories themselves don't entirely mesh with the headlines. All the news stories are consistent in how they quote the woman, as I have said.

It is the headlines that I was commenting on. They are unequivocable and unambiguous. They all three state that this woman is accusing the U.S. of wanting/intending to kill her.

It is the headlines that indicate what these three publications want their readers to believe about the story they are printing. The headlines don't say 'might'. They don't 'suggest'. They say specifically that this woman accuses the U.S. of wanting her dead. A news source with a different intent would write the headline very differently.

That is my opinion. And you can try all you want to say that I'm saying something different, but I'm not backing off that opinion.

Having said that, I join with Lash as a card carrying member of the OE fan club. Smile
0 Replies