THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

old europe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
ican711nm wrote:
old europe wrote:
... See? Tico just posted a good news article! Still, 1,500 dead....
Cool Rolling Eyes Laughing

Ican: That's how you answer questions?

I would possibly answer some of your questions, but to what good? Your questions are merely rethorical. I could easily ask you a bunch of questions, like

Am I correct in inferring you think it was a necessity that 1,500 soldiers died?

... and so on. Not helpful, though.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:10 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:

Am I correct in inferring that you want the US to pull out of Iraq now?

Am I correct in inferring that you want the US to emulate the US's South Vietnam behavior, and desert the Iraqis people's quest for a democracy of their own design, and flee from Iraq now ?

Am I correct in inferring that you believe US desertion from Iraq is a necessary step toward solving the terrorist problem now ?

Are you one of those people who believes there should not be any cost to securing freedom, or, in other words, freedom should be free?

By The Way, are you one of those posting bad news articles and bad news cartoons in this forum who actually believes those articles are reliable descriptions of what is true?

How does this contribute?

I'll be delighted to answer your question after you answer my questions.
How does your not answering contribute? Or should I better ask: How does your avoidance of answering contribute?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:13 pm
ican711nm wrote:

Am I correct in inferring that you want the US to emulate the US's South Vietnam behavior, and desert the Iraqis people's quest for a democracy of their own design, and flee from Iraq now ?

Am I correct in inferring that you believe US desertion from Iraq is a necessary step toward solving the terrorist problem now ?

Quote:
"The devil has told you that! The devil has told you that," cried the little man, and in his anger he plunged his right foot so deep into the earth that his whole leg went in, and then in rage he pulled at his left leg so hard with both hands that he tore himself in two.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:14 pm
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
By The Way, are you one of those posting bad news articles and bad news cartoons in this forum who actually believes those articles are reliable descriptions of what is true?

See? Tico just posted a good news article! Still, 1,500 dead....

Big headline this morning across all the media outlets...the death toll of American troops in Iraq has hit an astonishing 1,500. But wait...is it really all that surprising? Setting aside the obvious....that a single loss of American life is an unacceptable tragedy...let's take a look at where we are.

Two years ago the United States invaded Iraq, a nation of 25 million people, and overthrew its government, that of the evil (except to liberals) Saddam Hussein. During the run-up to the war, a number of generals-turned-talking heads predicted that tens of thousands of troops would die in the initial invasion. It didn't happen. The Baathists promised to send home American troops in body bags by the thousands...that didn't happen either.

So now here we are, two years later. We've won the war and largely won the peace. Elections have been held, and the insurgency has been all but defeated. The United States will probably largely leave Iraq within 12 to 18 months. All with less than 2,000 casualties.

If President Bush had predicted 1,500 casualties before the war started, liberals would have complained that he was being unrealistic. Of course now, it's being portrayed as if it's the next Vietnam war (58,000 American troops killed there.) By any measure, the war in Iraq has been a stunning success, the American media notwithstanding.

Link
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:19 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

See? Tico just posted a good news article! Still, 1,500 dead....

Big headline this morning across all the media outlets...the death toll of American troops in Iraq has hit an astonishing 1,500. But wait...is it really all that surprising? Setting aside the obvious....that a single loss of American life is an unacceptable tragedy...let's take a look at where we are.

Two years ago the United States invaded Iraq, a nation of 25 million people, and overthrew its government, that of the evil (except to liberals) Saddam Hussein. During the run-up to the war, a number of generals-turned-talking heads predicted that tens of thousands of troops would die in the initial invasion. It didn't happen. The Baathists promised to send home American troops in body bags by the thousands...that didn't happen either.

So now here we are, two years later. We've won the war and largely won the peace. Elections have been held, and the insurgency has been all but defeated. The United States will probably largely leave Iraq within 12 to 18 months. All with less than 2,000 casualties.

If President Bush had predicted 1,500 casualties before the war started, liberals would have complained that he was being unrealistic. Of course now, it's being portrayed as if it's the next Vietnam war (58,000 American troops killed there.) By any measure, the war in Iraq has been a stunning success, the American media notwithstanding.

Link

Across the media?? Who is Neal Bortz??
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:23 pm
Quote:

Boortz is a damn fool. I can't believe you'd even post this dreck.

Someone should inform the insurgency that they've been all but defeated; they sure have blown a bunch of people up this month for someone who is all but defeated.

And our number of combat deaths is actually far higher than 1500; the pentagon does everything possible to keep that number low...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:24 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
During the run-up to the war, a number of generals-turned-talking heads predicted that tens of thousands of troops would die in the initial invasion. It didn't happen. The Baathists promised to send home American troops in body bags by the thousands...that didn't happen either.

and, on May 2, 2003 somebody said

Quote:
"Mission Accomplished."

that didn't happen either.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:25 pm
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
old europe wrote:
... See? Tico just posted a good news article! Still, 1,500 dead....
Cool Rolling Eyes Laughing
Ican: That's how you answer questions?
Your question was "See?" It was your response to my (Ican's) questions with a question!. So, that's how you do not answer questions! My answer to your question of "See?"is No, I don't see! What was it you thought I should see?

I would possibly answer some of your questions, but to what good? Your questions are merely rethorical. I could easily ask you a bunch of questions, like Am I correct in inferring you think it was a necessity that 1,500 soldiers died?

My answer is: No! I do not think it was a necessity. The "good" of your answering my questions is I will know something about where you really stand.

My questions are rhetorical only when I say they are rhetorical!

... and so on. Not helpful, though.

It would be helpful to me if you answered my questions. It would help me to know determine you are a US impeder or a US rooter.

By the way:

Are you one of those people who believes there should not be any cost to securing freedom, or, in other words, freedom should be free?

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:29 pm
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
During the run-up to the war, a number of generals-turned-talking heads predicted that tens of thousands of troops would die in the initial invasion. It didn't happen. The Baathists promised to send home American troops in body bags by the thousands...that didn't happen either.

and, on May 2, 2003 somebody said

Quote:
"Mission Accomplished."

Excuse me? Which mission was not accomplished?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:34 pm
ican711nm wrote:

No. Everybody's responsible for the mess he creates.

ican711nm wrote:

No. If the US are willing to stay, no matter the death toll, I will accept it.

ican711nm wrote:

No. Neither was the invasion.

ican711nm wrote:

Yes, I believe freedom should be free. That doesn't free you from the responsibility of trying to maintain freedom and peace whenever possible.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:36 pm
old europe wrote:
on May 2, 2003 somebody said

Quote:
"Mission Accomplished."

Ticomaya wrote:

- Saddam wasn't caught.
- Iraq wasn't liberated.
- Osama bin Laden wasn't caught.
- the WMD weren't found.

What mission are you talking about?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:36 pm
He must have meant that we beat on the Iraqi army good.

Because that was the point of going, yaknow.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:39 pm
And that does not justify the US to be the aggressor against a sovereign nation just because "we fear them." Proof must be factual and not contrived.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:44 pm
old europe wrote:
old europe wrote:

Quote:
"Mission Accomplished."

Ticomaya wrote:

- Saddam wasn't caught.
- Iraq wasn't liberated.
- the WMD weren't found.

End of major combat operations. We beat the Iraqi Army and were in control. If you didn't know what Bush meant when he said that, why talk about it?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:49 pm
Beating the Iraqi army was a cake-walk, because we knew Saddam's army and equipment were third rate. What the BIG problem was the fact that Bush and his minions ignored the warnings of General Shinseki and Colin Powell about securing the country "after" major combat operatings were over. That's where they failed.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:51 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
old europe wrote:
old europe wrote:

Quote:
"Mission Accomplished."

Ticomaya wrote:

- Saddam wasn't caught.
- Iraq wasn't liberated.
- the WMD weren't found.

End of major combat operations. We beat the Iraqi Army and were in control. If you didn't know what Bush meant when he said that, why talk about it?

Let me sum this up:

- 139 soldiers died during major combat operations
- 1,361 soldiers died after major combat operations

Strange war, huh?

And I didn't hear before the war that the mission was to "End of major combat operations". Possibly because Bush never said it. He said a lot of things, like

Quote:
"It's a person who claims he has no weapons of mass destruction, in order to escape the dictums of the U.N. Security Council and the United Nations -- but he's got them. See, he'll lie. He'll deceive us. And he'll use them."

things like that. Did Bush say: "Our mission is to invade Iraq in order to end major combat operations"?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:03 pm
or because Saddam was a madman killing his own people? I haven't yet seen that part of the speech before the war...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:06 pm
Here are a few news stories that might clear up your confusion about the "Mission Accomplished" banner that hung behind Bush on the Lincoln. You DO know he didn't utter those words, right?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/28/mission.accomplished/
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/29/iraq/main580661.shtml
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:14 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Here are a few news stories that might clear up your confusion about the "Mission Accomplished" banner that hung behind Bush on the Lincoln. You DO know he didn't utter those words, right?

you might want to re-read the articles....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:27 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

you might want to re-read the articles....

Why would I want to do that?
0 Replies