THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:19 am
LOL right you are Tico Smile It is 1984. (Thwapping self for brain fart.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:20 am
In any event, he is not really a liberal writer.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:24 am
Who, Orwell? Au contrare. He is one of the very best illustrations of a classical liberal that I can think of.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:24 am
Double post.........
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:27 am
Fox, I never thought of you as having "brain fart." Your writing style is excellent, and I enjoy reading your posts even if we disagree on many fronts. Wink
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:33 am
foxfrye, I get lazy at times and don't want to scroll back to the previous page. I thought you guys were still talking about Christopher Hitchens. I don't know who Orwell is.

Unlike most folks here I haven't went to college nor have I read a lot of political books. I just remembered Christopher Hitchens from the clinton era and knew he wasn't a liberal. I also remembered several statements of his about arabs in general on talk news shows and he never was a fan. (I hope you don't ask me to back that up, chances are I wouldn't be able to)
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:39 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I not only read the book but took a college course based on it and had to write a major paper based on the ideas within it. You think "1986" is little known? I think it is his best known work. Or were you being intentionally facetious for effect?

Just facetious, you provided the effect :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:43 am
And thank you C.I. I always figured reasonable people can reasonably disagree and almost all of us can find common ground to agree on if we want to.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:48 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Actually, I think "1986" must be one of his lesser-known works, since the book I studied in 1984 was titled differently.

you've read 86 then?
Good catch, Guess I should edit before I submit andmaybe try typing with just one finger instead of two....
I stand by my more than two statement ... a typo does'nt changge that
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:19 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I not only read the book but took a college course based on it and had to write a major paper based on the ideas within it. You think "1986" is little known? I think it is his best known work. Or were you being intentionally facetious for effect?

Was that a sequel by Orwell to his "1984?"
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:22 pm
No, it was a brain fart. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:25 pm
I wish you'd quit using that term, cause it makes me feel I'm the king of "BF." Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:28 pm
was it Huxley who wrote "Brave Old Europe?" or am I thinking of the symphony "From the New World" by Dvorszak.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:43 pm
Reality bites .........

Quote:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:48 pm
Anyone who thinks we're going up and abandon this investment any time soon is out of their minds.

It just wouldn't be good business, yaknow?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:52 pm
I'd say: Decades before the troops leave....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:01 pm
old europe, When we consider the facts that both Germany and Japan "really" surrendered after the war, we've stayed there "decades" even without the insurgency.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:05 pm
Now you guys, the oil is going to pay for that stuff
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:05 pm
The day that Germany or Japan or anybody tells us we aren't wanted there, however, we pack up and leave. George Bush hasn't backed down on any promise he has made to date, and there is no reason to think he won't honor his promise to leave Iraq when the ruling authority requests that. At this time they are requesting we stay.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:10 pm
Quote:
The day that Germany or Japan or anybody tells us we aren't wanted there, however, we pack up and leave. George Bush hasn't backed down on any promise he has made to date, and there is no reason to think he won't honor his promise to leave Iraq when the ruling authority requests that. At this time they are requesting we stay.

Funnily enough, when you control the ruling authority, they don't ask you to leave...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies