Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 10:50 pm
Why do all of you hate America so much?

:wink:

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 10:59 pm
Cyclop, Who said we hate America? There's a difference between not agreeing with this president and administration and lov'n America. Wink
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 11:01 pm
CY...
You've been talking to Ican and his band of grumpy mindless followers again haven't you .... I'm telling you again you will rot your brain Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 11:02 pm
Sorry, was trying to be all sarcastical.

Though I am truly saddened at what has passed for discourse this year in American politics so far, I can tell ya. Lebanon was an encouraging story today.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 12:09 am
Yeah older and wiser in Europe, you better believe it baby.

:wink:
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:48 am
Quote:

Informed Comment

Thoughts on the Middle East, History, and Religion Juan Cole is Professor of History at the University of Michigan
1. Lebanon Realignment and Syria It is often pointe...
Lebanon Realignment and Syria

It is often pointed out that presidents get too much praise and blame for the economy, since the domestic economy has its own rhythms. We are now going to see everything that happens in the Middle East attributed to George W. Bush, whether he had much to do with it or not (usually not).

I usually 'cherry pick' through Juan's site and post the good stuff here, at least what I consider to be the good stuff. This morning I could not choose, it is all 'good stuff'. It does'nt matter which end of the spectrum you feel comfortable in, this is information and infomation knows no affiliation. I urge everyone to read.

Klik here ......
Bold text = links
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 07:04 am
Cyclop, whether you are being ironic or not, there are some of us on this thread who think of ourselves as patriots. I love my country but I do not love what it does sometimes.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:25 am
Minds are indeed a-changin'. . .

Quote:
Here again, the most persuasive evidence is the evidence that looks us in the face. In Iraq, Muslim militants place bombs in the mosques of those Muslims they regard as heretics. In Afghanistan and Pakistan, too, the Salafi and Wahhabi extremists commit murder against Muslims they deem unclean or unorthodox. And in the West, there are non-Muslims who excuse such atrocities as "resistance." These are often the same as those who hailed what they thought of as the "street." I don't think they should be indicted for hate crimes, but they should be made to understand that what they say is hateful and criminal, as well as sectarian. The battle for clarity of language is a part of this larger contest, and it is time for the opponents of terror and bigotry to become very much less apologetic and defensive on this score. -- Christopher Hitchens (Vanity Fair)

Entire essay at
http://politics.slate.msn.com/id/2114137/
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:20 am
Christopher Hitchens----enough said
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:27 am
I thought so since he is one of the most passionately liberal writers in the Vanity Fair stable. Smile
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:41 am
I guess we have different ideas of what a liberal writer is.

Or maybe I just don't like all liberal writers.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:54 am
More about Christopher Hitchens, who is not a liberal writer.

http://globetrotter.berkeley.edu/Elberg/Hitchens/hitchens-con0.html
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 10:00 am
Did you read all the information on the link you posted Revel? It definitely describes Hitchens as a man of the Left. Do you know his positions on the various social issues? I do, and he is pretty consistent in supporting the leftwing positions. He is just one of those rare liberals who is capable of more than one-dimensional though, and thus, though I frequently disagree with him, I much appreciate and respect his intellectual honesty.

So why do you dislike him so much? I suspect that it is because I still can't say "all minds are a-changin'" when it comes to positive news, hope, and optimism. Please refer to the Bush aftermath thread for more on that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 10:04 am
I know now, why Fox likes him - see the sentence in paragraph in the quotation below
Laughing
Quote:
Source
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
Christopher Hitchens
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Christopher Hitchens featured on forum on
Enlarge
Christopher Hitchens featured on Spirit of America forum on 2005 Iraqi Elections

Christopher Hitchens (born April 13, 1949, England) is a journalist, author, critic, and self-proclaimed political gadfly. He currently lives in Washington, DC in the United States. Over the years he has written for a variety of different publications, including Vanity Fair, The Nation, Harper's, The New Yorker, Slate and The Atlantic Monthly.

Hitchens is well-known for his disheveled appearance and love of drink and cigarettes, as well as his unpredictable political views. A prolific writer who deliberately courts controversy, he has written many books and articles over the years. One book, The Missionary Position, condemned Mother Teresa as a self-serving egotist; another, No One Left To Lie To, was a fierce denunciation of Bill Clinton. In more recent books, he put Henry Kissinger "on trial" as a major war criminal and argued passionately for the continuing relevance of George Orwell's political insights.

At one time Hitchens was considered a staunch member of the Anglo-American left. In recent years however, especially in the wake of September 11, 2001, his reputation has shifted, and is now regarded as a somewhat more conservative, hawkish liberal. In reality Hitchens tends to be a secular humanist and libertarian who is hard to peg beyond those broad terms.

Where he stands now

Hitchens has said he no longer feels a part of the Left and does not object to being called a former Trotskyist. His affection for Trotsky is still strong, and he still says that his political and historical view of the world is shaped by Marxist categories. In June, 2004, Hitchens wrote a blistering attack on Michael Moore in a review of Moore's latest film, Fahrenheit 9/11, so much so that three major publications offered rebuttals to Hitchens' review. Despite his many articles supporting the US invasion of Iraq, Hitchens made a brief return to The Nation just before the US presidential election and wrote that he was "slightly" for Bush, but shortly afterwards when Slate polled its staff on their positions on the candidates, Hitchens shifted his opinion to neutral, saying "It's absurd for liberals to talk as if Kristallnacht is impending with Bush, and it's unwise and indecent for Republicans to equate Kerry with capitulation. There's no one to whom he can surrender, is there? I think that the nature of the jihadist enemy will decide things in the end"[1] (http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20041108&s=hitchens). Now in his latest contribution to Vanity Fair, he seems to be shifting, yet again, to more overt criticism of the Bush administration's continued protection of Henry Kissinger and refusal to reveal the full extent of Kissinger's complicity in or even support for the mass "disappearings" of dissidents in South American military regimes during the 1970s.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 10:12 am
I like him because he doesn't engage in spin and he is intellectually honest, a rare commodity among liberal writers these days. I feel the same way about Andrew Sullivan, William Raspberry, and some others that I read regularly. All of these writers will never be on 'my side of the fence' when it comes to most sociopolitical issues, but all are capable of seeing all points of view and giving credit where credit is deserved even when it is on the opposite side of the fence.

I think that is a trait that wise people of all political persuasions appreciate. So in that, I choose to be wise.

(I honestly never pinned a political label on Orwell, but now that Walter mentions it, I think the quote is correct. Except that I haven't heard him seriously maligned by either side--his writings have added much to the national debate and conciousness I think.)
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:00 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I like him because he doesn't engage in spin and he is intellectually honest, a rare commodity among liberal writers these days. I feel the same way about Andrew Sullivan, William Raspberry, and some others that I read regularly. All of these writers will never be on 'my side of the fence' when it comes to most sociopolitical issues, but all are capable of seeing all points of view and giving credit where credit is deserved even when it is on the opposite side of the fence.

I think that is a trait that wise people of all political persuasions appreciate. So in that, I choose to be wise.

(I honestly never pinned a political label on Orwell, but now that Walter mentions it, I think the quote is correct. Except that I haven't heard him seriously maligned by either side--his writings have added much to the national debate and conciousness I think.)

Did you just bestow wisdom upon yourself just by choosing? If true , I'd think twice about things like singing that Oscar Meyer wiener song ....

There is a little known book written by Orwell that has a simple name ... '1986' .... if you read this book I'm sure you will come to see that there are more than two political views .... totalitarianism makes the number at least three.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:07 am
Will it work? We can all hope it will.
Palestinians agree steps forward

The Palestinians and the international community say they have agreed "practical steps" to create a viable Palestinian state.
The agreement reached at the London meeting covers governance, security, and economic and social development.

UK PM Tony Blair said the agreement was not only for the sake of the Palestinians, but also the wider world.

The two leaders were speaking at the end of a conference aimed at showing support for the Palestinian Authority.

Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas said the Palestinians were committed to the peace process, and were doing everything they could to preserve a truce with Israel.

Among those attending is US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who urged Israelis to avoid taking actions that could harm the fragile peace process.

Israel is not attending the meeting, but is said to be watching closely.

The peace that has now become the dire need of Palestinians and Israelis is possible

Mahmoud Abbas

A draft text sets out the measures the PA says it will take to reform itself.

The 16-page draft document, seen by the BBC, refers to the goal of a sovereign, democratic and territorially-contiguous Palestinian state - existing side by side with Israel.

The document also sets out commitments for the international community, which would set up a US-led committee to oversee security.

The Israelis are called on to dismantle the system of restrictions hampering economic activity, and the Palestinians themselves to carry out reforms, including consolidation of the security and intelligence services.

The communique states that "while participants noted that the situation on the ground remains fragile, they underlined the importance of working to establish a virtuous circle and the renewal of progress towards peace through the full implementation of the roadmap".

Co-operation call

As the 23-nation conference opened on Tuesday, Mr Abbas said his administration was ready to work "hand in hand" with Israel.

Palestinian militants are threatening the peace process

He called for renewed efforts to implement the international peace plan known as the roadmap.

"This conference addresses our needs to find a suitable atmosphere to open political paths to put an end to violence and counter-violence," the Palestinian leader said.

Ms Rice, for her part, praised Israel's "historic step" to disengage from the Gaza Strip and parts of the West Bank later this year.

But she said Israel "must take no actions that prejudice a final settlement and must help ensure that a new Palestinian state is truly viable".

The US secretary of state also called upon Arab countries to crack down on militant groups that target Israel.

Bombing condemned

Mr Abbas earlier condemned last week's suicide bombing in Tel Aviv.

"Extremist elements are determined to sabotage any peace process and to sabotage any plans to solve political problems through peaceful means," he said.

Mr Abbas added that the Palestinian Authority was "determined to carry on on the peace path".

Friday's suicide attack killed five people. It was the first of its kind since Mr Abbas took office in January.

It is not clear who was behind the suicide bombing, but Israel has said it holds Syria responsible. Syria denies involvement.

Optimism

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair - who is hosting the one-day conference - said its aim was to promote a two-state solution to the Middle East conflict.

He said this would enhance security in the Middle East and beyond.

"It is something that concerns all the countries representing here today," he said.

Participants also include United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan.

He said he saw a moment of "promise and potential" in the Middle East and urged "key players keep their eyes on the ultimate prize of a lasting peace".

"The prevailing mood is one of optimism," Mr Annan added. "The sense of expectation is palpable."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:10 am
I not only read the book but took a college course based on it and had to write a major paper based on the ideas within it. You think "1986" is little known? I think it is his best known work. Or were you being intentionally facetious for effect?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:14 am
Actually, I think "1986" must be one of his lesser-known works, since the book I studied in 1984 was titled differently.
0 Replies