Setanta

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 05:23 pm
@FBM,
Frankly, i don't believe you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 09:01 pm
@Setanta,
So why'd you have me talk about things around the house when I visited with the old boys at Bob Evans? they sure thought they heard oot and aboot
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 09:32 pm
@Setanta,
It's Ontarian.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 09:36 pm
@MontereyJack,
It does seem to be regional, but Ontario covers a lot of accents.

When I was growing up, you could differentiate the sound of someone from West Toronto from other parts of the city. Now it`s the northern suburbs of Toronto that seem to have the most distinctive sound.
yuzixiezanghq

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 10:16 pm
@FBM,
There are many differences between British English and American English,such as pronunciations,spellings,idioms and so on.
knaivete

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 12:43 am
@Zac Albert 2015,
I prefer Chinglish, who gives a zack about BrE or AmE?

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 05:56 am
@ehBeth,
I grew up in Michigan, across the river from Windsor, and some of my extended family were from the Windsor area, and a fair number of other folks there had crossed the river to the US too, and that's what they said. Fred Eaglesmith,the great "trailer trash" (that's his onstage persona) Ontario singer-songwriter also has a strong Ontario accent.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 11:38 am
@yuzixiezanghq,
Yep.

Quote:
The British have many delightful and colorful expressions that often make no sense to those of us on this side of the pond. Luckily, Christopher J. Moore has decoded a number of them in How to Speak Brit: The Quintessential Guide to the King's English, Cockney Slang, and Other Flummoxing British Phrases. Here are a few of our favorites.

1. LOAD OF COBBLERS

This phrase, which means "a lot of rubbish or nonsense," has its origin in rhyming slang. The full phrase, Moore writes, is "a load of cobbler's awls," and awls rhymes with ... well, you can probably figure that out. So, don't use this one around anybody respectable.

2. HOW’S YOUR FATHER?

Brits are all about keeping things proper, so they’ve come up with many fantastic slang terms for referring to stuff that would be considered untoward in polite company. "How’s your father?" is one of these phrases. According to Moore, this turn of the century phrase was probably coined by comedian Harry Tate, who used it to change the subject when something he didn’t want to talk about came up. Eventually, it became slang for sexual activity.

3. ALL MOUTH AND NO TROUSERS

Hailing from the north of England, this phrase is “used to describe a man whose sense of self-importance is in inverse proportion to his actual relevance,” Moore writes. The mouth refers to brash talk; trousers, of course, are pants.

4. BOB’S YOUR UNCLE

It means “and there you are!” or “it’s that simple!” According to Moore, it’s thought to have originated in the late 1880s, when Arthur Balfour—nephew of the Victorian Prime Minister Robert Cecil—was appointed to be the Chief Secretary in Ireland though he had no qualifications. “So he got the job purely because Bob was his uncle,” Moore writes. “A nice theory, and no one has come up with anything convincingly better.”

5. BY HOOK OR BY CROOK

“A very old phrase meaning to use any means possible and bearing no relation to criminals,” Moore writes. First used in the 14th century, it refers to peasants pulling down branches for firewood using either a bill-hook or a shepherd’s crook.

6. ON THE PULL

Another British slang term for something considered rude to talk about in plain terms. If you’re out at the pub and someone tells you they’re “on the pull,” it means they’re looking for someone to hook up with. Saucy!

7. SPEND A PENNY

This slang phrase for a visit to the bathroom “comes from the old practice, literally, of having to put a penny in the door of a public bathroom to use it,” Moore writes. It's only appropriate for informal settings, so don’t use it to ask where the restrooms are in a restaurant!

8. SWEET FANNY ADAMS

It means, essentially, f*** all, and though it sounds delightful, it has a dark historical origin: Fanny Adams was a real person, a child who was murdered and dismembered in 1867; she was nicknamed "Sweet Fanny Adams" during her murderer's trial and execution because of her youth and innocence. Not long after, the Royal Navy introduced tinned meat rations, which the sailors referred to as Sweet Fanny Adams, a reference to the crime. Eventually, Moore writes, “the expression spread into wider use as meaning something of little or no value, and was commonly shortened to Sweet FA. In modern usage the phrase has become crossed with another, more impolite FA, which also means ‘absolutely nothing.’”

http://mentalfloss.com/article/59549/8-british-expressions-explained
FBM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 11:41 am
And:

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 12:48 pm
That list would have been blazingly current around 1925, according to my English wife.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 02:18 pm
I am currently wearing a tank top which reads: Canada, Niagara Falls. Obviously, i have expert status. Besides, Jesus said so.
layman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 02:34 pm
@Setanta,
I must be hallucinating. You, making a comment that is not chock-full of pompous self-importance, pretentiousness, and self-proclaimed grandeur? Showing a glimmer suggesting that you might have a sense of humor? Incredible!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 02:47 pm
@FBM,
Oh, thanks. I have always wondered about "And Bob's your uncle". I didn't want to use it because there just might be some hidden meaning.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 03:50 pm
Christopher J. Moore sounds like a bullshit artist, if he is peddling that list as being in any way authentic or current. It's like saying that Americans talk like Teddy Roosevelt and say "That's bully!".
Setanta

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 05:13 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
It's like saying that Americans talk like Teddy Roosevelt and say "That's bully!".

Well put . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
The people up and around the ALgonquin Park speak a unique brand of Canajun?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 09:23 pm
@farmerman,
yup

it's a lot like Ottawa Valley speak

honest ta god eh
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2015 11:16 pm
@ehBeth,
wi mic' aklasik.

That means "I can speak English" in MigMag.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 11 May, 2015 12:37 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Christopher J. Moore sounds like a bullshit artist, if he is peddling that list as being in any way authentic or current. It's like saying that Americans talk like Teddy Roosevelt and say "That's bully!".

With all due respect, Olly, that's cobblers.

Any expression or phrase on that list would be immediately recognisable to any adult who was born and raised in the UK, with the possible exception of those younger adults who have their own textspeak or gangsta language which seems to have originated in the US and since permeated around the world.
Even those from the UK who speak the yo and ho monosyballic cobblers would no doubt recognise most of that list, and hear such expressions on almost a daily basis.

The two that may, and I stress may, be a bit old fashioned nowadays, imo, would be "how's yer father" (never your), and "sweet Fanny Adams", which is still in frequent use, but is nearly always heard as "sweet F A ", which most of the young mistakenly assume to mean "**** all".

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 11 May, 2015 01:37 am
One big difference I find is that many Americans, or so it seems, rarely or never abbreviate when speaking.
There is barely a trace of wouldn't, couldn't, isn't, wasn't etc.

Oh, and the "math" thing. That really sounds and reads strange to Brit ears and eyes.