difference between British English & American English

selectmytutor

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 10:32 pm
@Zac Albert 2015,
Hi Zac Albert,
Pronunciation and acent are the main difference between British English and American English as I understand. Wink
neologist

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 11:25 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
The difference is, Americans don't speak it good.
Quite true. We speak it well.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 04:39 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

You ever get the feeling when you're talking to a Limey that you're talking to a complete phony?

http://media.giphy.com/media/ADr35Z4TvATIc/giphy.gif
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 10:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I have to head up to Sayreville to get some photos of a specific "beach mineral", are there any good crab cake joints up there?
I speak fluent North Jersey.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 11:55 pm
@Zac Albert 2015,
In rough terms.... There is a sort of a line which runs through Baltimore Md. more or less; people who came to points above that line were usually coming for religious reasons (Puritans) or economic opportunities, people were usually sent to places south of that line as punishment for crimes. Originally at least... So you had religious types and criminals from England but the one thing you probably didn't have coming here were members of the house of lords so that the pretty speech which you hear in parliament and universities in England generally isn't found here.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 11:57 pm
@layman,
Quote:
You ever get the feeling when you're talking to a Limey that you're talking to a complete phony?

Not invariably, but you get some extreme examples of that like IzzythePOOP here.....
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 12:07 am
@gungasnake,
Youre just jealous because Izzy regularly greases your lame bon mots with actual wit.

Its taken me 3/4 of a lifetime to overcome the humorless maudlin outlook associated with the Russian gene pool. You oughta try it. It may do wonders for your sense of humor (or more accurately, the lack thereof).

And BTW , Profims been dead an is still dead
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 02:39 am
@farmerman,
Nah...no decent crab cakes in all of New Jersey. Ya gotta go to Baldemorre for dat.

"Fluent?"

What dat mean?

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 02:58 am
@neologist,

Quote:
Quite true. We speak it well.

I've heard that Americans don't do irony. I previously thought it probably an exaggeration.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 03:11 am
@FBM,
Canajuns do not say "aboot."
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 03:20 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

Well, I don't do much diphthong raising myself, but this common US (and British) misconception is indeed incorrect. Those of us from America's Hat who do raise say what sounds more like "aboat" to my ears. They also do it across the border in Usia, as you may hear in the Fargo TV series set in Minnesota.
Setanta

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 03:27 am
@selectmytutor,
selectmytutor wrote:
Hi Zac Albert,
Pronunciation and acent are the main difference between British English and American English as I understand.

In all seriousness, some locutions differ, and there are differences in the use of prepositions in some cases. It is silly to say that pronunciation and accent are what differentiate the two. Accents and pronunciations vary widely within the United States and within the United Kingdom.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 03:34 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
What i find really odd is the Ontario pronunciations of words which are usually pronounced as a single syllable elsewhere in English. It seems to be a trait only of "English" Ontarians, and of a certain age. Those who display these pronunciations will say "grow-wen" rather than grown, "know-wen" rather than known, etc. They also say "eye-run" rather than iron (as one syllable)> That last one really grates on my nerves. For some reason i really can't recall the origin of, i equate that with uneducated people.

And my eyes are not black.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 03:53 am
@farmerman,
Thanks very much. Being called a phoney by someone who pretends to be John Lee Hooker and an 'American' who wants to surrender to Putin has been very harrowing. If it wasn't for your post I might not have been able to cope, so thanks again.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 03:58 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Some british english words throw me for a loop, usually colloquialisms.

That's why our slick adverts don't air in America.

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 03:59 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
And my eyes are not black.

Mon nom d'écran est le titre d'une belle chanson d'Indochine (groupe de rock français)
FBM

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 07:01 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Gonna have to differ on that one. The first one I met said she was "oot and aboot" and I had to do a double take. I've got a lot of friends over here from Canadia, and they both say it and confess to it. They're aware of the stigma, though, so they'll often be careful not to do it around people they don't know well.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 07:08 am
I wonder why my posts above were voted down? Did I break a rule or something? Grateful for any suggestions for avoiding it in future.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 07:13 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
If you'd broken a rule you'd be suspended. Some people just like to vote other people down. I get voted down all the time. Don't pay any attention to it, they want a reaction, don't give them the satisfaction.

There is one poster who is notoriously Francophobic, it could be just plain bigotry.

I've voted you back up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 05:22 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Je n'ai pas des yeux noirs, ce sont verts. Je n'écoute jamais des groupes françaises pour éviter les dommages aux oreilles . . .
0 Replies