When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Lash

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:11 am
@snood,
Quote:
In an understandable, but nonetheless clear act of political expediency, all Bernie is doing by coupling up with the likes of Cornell West is obligating himself to a power hungry wannabe prophet of the black masses who will always expect to be at the table when Bernie makes policy decisions.

I disagree vehemently that the alliance was politically expedient. Cornel and Bernie have the same views.

ex·pe·di·ent
ikˈspēdēənt/Submit
adjective
(of an action) convenient and practical, although possibly improper or immoral.

It is convenient and practical, but based on truth.

Anyway, I saw some of the terms Cornel used to describe O - and it was quite rough. I do imagine Bernie will have to draw distinctions between them in the coming months, but I doubt seriously the differences will reflect an ideological or policy gulf - but something our dear brother Cornel has said about someone else. Hillary is in his gunsight.

Cornel and Bernie are both scrappers for what they believe is right, imo. Both have incredible hair Wink

snood

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:15 am
@Lash,
Just for the record, West calls Bill O'Reilly "my dear Brother " too.
Lash

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:15 am
LOL. I am sure we will be given many opportunities to re-visit this conversation. I feel like starting a thread in preparation: What Has Cornel Said Today?

Are you still personally angry at West? Did you experience any empathy with the reasons West criticized Obama?
Lash

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:17 am
@snood,
That generation of activists refers to almost everybody as "brother" and "sister" - and I like it. It graces all of Bernie's speeches.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:19 am
@snood,
Some of us think the "Jerimiah Wright thing" objectified Jerimiah Wright into a tar brush to attach some sort of contact revolutionary smear on the President because people found about 20 minutes of sermon out of 20 years of pastoring 'questionable'.

We've all said intemperate and unadvised things in twenty years. I certainly have and some of here on a2k. But to reduce Jerimiah Wright to twenty minutes of angry speech ignores the fact he was pastor of one of the larger churches in Chicago and he was pretty much ignored by the national press for that pretty admirable accomplishment and his activism in his community which seems to have found resonance with his congregation, also one of the largest in Chicago.

I would hope no one would try to swiftboat Bernie over the size of the contribution of Cornell West has made to the US as an educator and writer alone.

I would really hate to think we'd ignore or cast aglance someone who's made inarguable contributions to the nation as Mr West has just to put some white voters at ease.

No accusations, just saying.
snood

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:19 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

LOL. I am sure we will be given many opportunities to re-visit this conversation. I feel like starting a thread in preparation: What Has Cornel Said Today?

Are you still personally angry at West? Did you experience any empathy with the reasons West criticized Obama?

I don't personally know West, so I don't have any personal feelings toward him. I think his actions in the last 4 years have been morally questionable and intellectually disingenuous, and that he has become motivated more by a desire to be important than a search for truth or for justice.
snood

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:22 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Of course the Wright thing was an unfair objectification - I didn't say it was right to do it, I said it became a problem for Obama. Time will tell if you who see West as a purely helpful association for Bernie will continue to do so. I was once a huge fan of Dr West - read everything he wrote, up until he lost his mind and moral compass. Just saying.
snood

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:23 am
@Lash,
Did you read the Charles Blow piece?
bobsal u1553115

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:24 am
@snood,
Quote:
I was once a huge fan of Dr West - read everything he wrote, up until he lost his mind and moral compass. Just saying.

Fair enough.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:32 am
@snood,
I'm sorry to hear your opinion of West. It seems to me he just untethered himself from civility in his overwhelming lunge for equality when he felt it taunting him inches beyond his reach, having been rebuffed by the one man he felt could deliver it.

But, that's me. West's life of activism had convinced me of the purity of his zeal.

I wonder if a certain desire to protect Obama from racial criticism may have influenced your opinion of West? They were very harsh words. Is it possible as far as you're concerned that anyone might use those words and still be purely seeking a leader against racial injustice?
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:35 am
@snood,
Not yet. Laundry and daughter demanding my time right now. I am reading it first thing when I return. Thanks for pointing it out. I appreciate the time you take to catch me up on several issues.

Ordered the Coates book this morning. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:44 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Ta-Nehisi Coates

23 minute podcast of Mr. Coates speaking with Shad earlier this year

Quote:
Against the backdrop of deeply rooted racial tensions in Baltimore, Ferguson and elsewhere, Ta-Nehisi Coates is passing hard-earned wisdom on to his teenage son, Samori.

Coates's lessons are bound together in a book-length open letter, Between the World and Me. It is an urgent and inspired reflection on what it means to be a black man in contemporary American society — one that the New York Times calls "essential, like water or air."

The celebrated essayist joins Shad to discuss the personal experiences that fuel his sharp commentary, the physical and psychological fear that black Americans carry, and the infuriating convenience of forgetting the lessons of history.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/schedule-for-wednesday-july-15-2015-1.3152453/ta-nehisi-coates-racism-is-a-physical-experience-for-black-people-1.3152455

IMNSHO it's worth a listen Smile

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3152639.1436968077!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_620/ta-nehisi-coates.jpg
izzythepush

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 10:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
I disagree with some of his stands on Israel/Palestine.

Corbyn is spot on.

Quote:
Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn explains why he described the Islamist militant organisations Hamas and Hezbollah as "friends" and says he does not agree with them.

Mr Corbyn told Channel 4 News he had used the word "friends" in a "collective way" at a meeting in parliament. "I'm saying that people I talk to, I use it in a collective way, saying our friends are prepared to talk.

"Does it mean I agree with Hamas and what it does? No. Does it mean I agree with Hezbollah and what they do? No. What it means is that I think to bring about a peace process, you have to talk to people with whom you may profoundly disagree.

"There is not going to be a peace proccess unless there is talks involving Israel, Hezbollah and Hamas and I think everyone knows that."

'Welcomed our friends'

"I spoke at a meeting about the Middle East crisis in parliament and there were people there from Hezbollah and I said I welcomed our friends from Hezbollah to have a discussion and a debate, and I said I wanted Hamas to be part of that debate. I have met Hamas in Lebanon and I've met Hezbollah in this country and Lebanon.

"The wider question is Hamas and Hezbollah are part of a wider peace process. Even the former head of Mossad says that there has to be talks involving Hamas.

"I've also had discussions with people from the right in Israeli politics who have the same view possibly that the state of Israel should extend from the river to the sea, as it is claimed people from the Palestinian side do.

http://www.channel4.com/news/jeremy-corbyn-i-wanted-hamas-to-be-part-of-the-debate
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 12:19 pm
@snood,
Thanks for the introduction to Blow; I'll have to follow him on Twitter and check out his opinions. Lovely piece on Sanders.

I'm not worried right now about these two guys' association.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 12:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Coates is a really cool, kind guy. I've had a couple of interactions with him on Twitter. I bought his book today. I admire him.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:25 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Yeah. Point out her lies and inconsistencies, cause her support to fall off a cliff. That'll help her win!

So happy to be such a great help to Hillary. I hear I've helped her fall to within 10 points of Bernie. She should put me on the payroll.

You should listen to Dr. Cornell West's opening speech for Bernie at Benedict College in South Carolina. Maybe you'll see why his rise is meteoric, and why he'll be the next president of the United States.

We'll see what happens, Lash.

In the meantime...I hope people like you continue with the over-the-top rhetoric. You sound like someone totally out of control...and my guess (just a guess) is that folk like you with your bile and excess...help what you oppose more than you help what you supposedly champion.

As I've said...I like Sanders and I wish an agenda such as he espouses could carry the day in our country. But I am convinced it cannot...to the point where I am sure that his inclusion on the Democratic Party presidential ticket will be a kiss of death in a contest where the Dems seem almost a certainty to prevail.

hawkeye10

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 04:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
in a contest where the Dems seem almost a certainty to prevail.

Show your work please. Give us an argument for this conclusion supported by logic and evidence.
snood

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 05:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Show your work please. Give us an argument for this conclusion supported by logic and evidence.

Bizarre. A request for logic and evidence from someone wanting a megalomaniac to sit as POTUS - for no good reason.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 05:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

My bad, Hawk.

Here:

https://lintvwood.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/possible-2016-republican-presidential-candidates.jpg
andy31

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 06:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I wonder if you still assert that
0 Replies