When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 10:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Frank, he's going to be there.

No...he won't.
0 Replies

korkamann

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 10:45 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

RABEL222 wrote:

But, but the ultra conservatives want Bernie or Biden to run. Not Hillary. How will they win the presidency if Hillary runs?

Such belief in Hillary, a crappy politician with a thin resume and a even thinner list of accomplishments marks you as a chump. And at your age!

I'm intensely curious about you, Hawkeye. Your statements seem more eccentric than anyone else on this board. Are you currently residing in a mental home suffering from a psychiatric disorder, with access to a computer for therapeutic interaction with the world-wide web? In my personal opinion, I see in your posts, a serious mental defect with respect to how you perceive the world.

Did you say Hillary Clinton has a "thin résumé?! Why Hillary's qualifications, and previous experience as First Lady, US Senator from New York, and lastly, Secretary of State, makes your demonization of this remarkable woman of talent, sound like you're someone on the verge of complete madness! If there is a bell to summon your keeper, then do so, immediately, telling him you need to upgrade your meds YESTERDAY!

So some posters say they do not trust Hillary Clinton...that is their right! That still does not take away from her many accomplishments and leadership abilities.
Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 12:50 pm
@korkamann,
Trying to reason with Hawk is useless, Korkamann.

Just enjoy him as the eccentric he is...and don't take any of his evaluations in the political arena seriously at all.
hawkeye10

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 12:59 pm
@korkamann,
Quote:
There are plenty of reasons to believe 2016 will be a very ugly election year. Here’s one more.

Bloomberg Politics convened a focus group of Iowa Democrats. Nearly all loved Hillary. “She’s a bad mama-jama,” said one female participant. Bad mama-jama is good, by the way. The woman explained that Clinton is “not afraid to step up” or “afraid to say, ‘No. I don’t want to do it that way. I’m going to do it this way.’”

Another participant insisted that Clinton is a “better woman than I am” — a great standard for selecting a president, to be sure — because of Clinton’s ability to weather various scandals and humiliations.

The awkward part came when Bloomberg’s Mark Halperin asked the room, “What did she accomplish that you consider significant as secretary of state?”

The answers — or rather, the replies, since no one had an answer — were awkward to say the least.

“I really can’t name anything off the top of my head,” one squirming Democrat admitted.

“Give me a minute. Give me two minutes. Go to someplace else,” another Iowa Democrat pleaded.

A third let the uncomfortable silence play out for as long as she could before confessing, “No.”

One young man offered the most grudging endorsement he could. “She’s been at a high level in numerous offices for about 25 years now. It’s either going to be that or it’s going to be Scott Walker . . . destroying America’s unions. She’s not perfect. But she’s been in the eye for a long time — in the public’s eye — and you’re going to have some stuff on her. But, you know, she has great policies and she knows how to get stuff done.”

So, the best case for her is that she weathered a lot of scandals and, to borrow Robert Hoover’s defense of the Delta Tau Chi fraternity in Animal House, Hillary Clinton has “a long tradition of existence.”

Supporters also said she knows how to get stuff done but can’t name anything she’s actually, you know, done. This is like praising a coach for knowing how to win football games but not being able to cite any actual wins.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/05/22/hillary_clintons_accomplishment_deficit_126693.html

For anyone who thinks that they have a list of Hillary Clinton accomplishments I would love to see it, maybe I would change my mind.
revelette2

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 01:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Most people do not know anyone's accomplishments right off the top of their heads unless they were presidents or someone like that.

media matters has already taken this on after the George Will column.

Quote:
George Will ignored Hillary Clinton's substantial accomplishments as secretary of state, senator, and first lady in order to suggest that her support from Democrats is due solely to "identity politics."

In his latest Washington Post column, Will describes the Democratic Party as "adrift in identity politics, cling[ing], as shipwrecked sailors do to floating debris, to this odd feminist heroine," and writes that Clinton's "performance in governance has been defined by three failures." Will goes on to cherry-pick instances from Clinton's career, ignoring her achievements in the White House, Senate, and at State to portray her as a failure.

In citing Clinton's time as first lady, he omits, for example, Clinton's role in the passage of the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), which expanded health insurance for children in lower-income households. Will also ignores her pivotal role in the Adoption and Safe Families Act, which eased processes allowing the removal of children from abusive situations.

Clinton also helped to create the Department of Justice's Office on Violence Against Women and used her platform to raise the issue of abuse against women internationally, telling the United Nations' Fourth World Conference on Women in China that, "It is time for us to say here in Beijing, and for the world to hear, that it is no longer acceptable to discuss women's rights as separate from human rights."

Will says Clinton's tenure in the Senate was "an uneventful prelude to her 2008 presidential quest," failing to note that she sponsored or co-sponsored 54 bills that eventually became law. These including writing a section of the No Child Left Behind law addressing recruiting and retaining high-quality teachers; co-authoring a law compelling drug companies to conduct pediatric safety tests on products prescribed for children; working with Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) on language in a defense authorization bill giving members of the military access to the Tricare health system even when they aren't deployed; and sponsoring a bill which would mandate more efficient distribution of flu vaccines.

Going on to describe her appointment as Secretary State as a "consolation prize," Will downplays Clinton's accomplishments during her years in the position. These include opening up Myanmar as the first secretary of state to make an official visit there since 1955, negotiating a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas with the help of Egypt in 2012, and tightening international sanctions on Iran to their highest level ever with nearly a dozen countries significantly reducing their purchases of Iranian oil in 2012.

source

Google it and I am sure there are a lot more lists of accomplishments in each of her positions. But it is a lot more easier to be a nay-sayer which seems to be your stock in trade.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 01:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04/13/heres-a-list-of-hillary-clintons-accomplishments-so-quit-saying-she-doesnt-have-any/

You don’t have to like Hillary Clinton or her ideas. I get it. She’s a Democrat, a progressive (in most eyes), and conservatives don’t like that. However, you cannot say she does not have any accomplishments. Here are just a few:

Even though her major initiative, the Clinton healthcare plan, failed (due to Republican obstruction), you cannot deny that it laid ground for what we have today, the Affordable Healthcare Act, something Clinton supports and would continue.
She played a leading role in the development of State Children’s Health Insurance Program, which provides the much-needed state support for children whose parents cannot afford nor provide them with adequate healthcare coverage.
She was also instrumental in the creation of the Adoption and Safe Families Act and the Foster Care Independence Act.
Successfully fought to increase research funding for prostate cancer and asthma at the National Institute of Health (NIH).
She spearheaded investigations into mental illness plaguing veterans of the Gulf War; we now have a term for it – Gulf War Syndrome.
At the Department of Justice, she helped create the office on Violence Against Women.
She was instrumental in securing over $21 billion in funding for the World Trade Center redevelopment.
Took a leading role in the investigation of health consequences of first responders and drafted the first bill to compensate and offer the health services our first responders deserve (Clinton’s successor in the Senate, Kirsten Gillibrand, passed the bill).
Was instrumental in working out a bi-partisan compromise to address civil liberty abuses for the renewal of the U.S. Patriot Act.
Proposed a revival of the New Deal-era Home Owners’ Loan Corporation to help homeowners refinance their mortgages in the wake of the 2008 financial disaster.
Was a major proponent of sensible diplomacy which brought about a ceasefire between Hamas and Israel, and brokered human rights with Burma.
Oversaw free trade agreements with our allies such as Panama, Colombia, and South Korea.
Was the most traveled Secretary of State to date.
The Clinton Foundation, founded by her and her husband, has improved the living conditions for nearly 400 million people in over 180 countries through its Initiative program.
These are not all of her accomplishments. Her activism on behalf of women a children across the world is renowned. Her activism for raising the minimum wage and combating climate change is stellar. You do not have to support what she does or stands for. But do not say she doesn’t have any accomplishments. The conservatives who say this are the ones who are pushing for Ted Cruz – who brought on a $24 billion shut down. That, to them, is an accomplishment?
Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 01:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
http://mic.com/articles/21829/5-top-highlights-in-hillary-clinton-s-secretary-of-state-tenure

Hillary Clinton is widely admired for her intelligence, drive, and success as secretary of state. Her four years in office have been marked by a series of noteworthy accomplishments and near lack of serious missteps. Replacing her is a daunting task even for someone with Senator Kerry’s impressive foreign policy credentials. Below are 5 highlights from Clinton’s tenure:

1. People-to-People Diplomacy

Clinton understands the importance of strengthening ties with friends and allies while simultaneously engaging adversaries. Through intensive personal interaction, she has deftly built new relationships and managed old ones in a way that advance U.S. interests. In her own words, she has endeavored to ensure that the U.S. has “…a seat at every table that has the potential for being a partnership to solve problems.” For example, she expertly led efforts to rescue Chen Guangcheng, the dissident who took refuge in the U.S. Embassy in Beijing in May 2012, without crippling U.S.-China relations. Clinton has been the most active secretary of state in history, as a result. She has traveled more frequently and visited more countries than any of her predecessors; to date, her travels have spanned nearly 1 million miles and 112 countries.

2. The Importance of Economics

Clinton articulated a new vision of Economic Statecraft that made domestic economic growth – e.g. helping U.S. companies win business overseas – a key pillar of U.S. foreign policy. She made foreign policy relevant to the broader economic conversation, taking place in the U.S. in a show of political savvy few previous secretaries could match. And Clinton appointed the State Department’s first ever-chief economist to help implement Clinton’s vision. She also supported the more traditional economic aspects of foreign policy – such as sanctions – including those that crippled the Iranian government – and free trade – including Free Trade Agreements with allies Panama, Colombia, and South Korea.

3. Restoring American Credibility

Building on people-to-people diplomacy, Clinton has promoted U.S. values in a firm but respectful way that restored international faith in the U.S. that eroded during the Bush administration. Her outreach to Burma balances unwavering support for human rights with the promise of support to a previously suspicious regime and has opened that country to the world for the first time in decades. Aung San Suu Kyi is now free and her party actively participating in the governance reform effort in Burma. Clinton also rejuvenated U.S. engagement in the Middle East by brokering a ceasefire between Hamas and Israel earlier this year. Her shuttle diplomacy and coordination with Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi will likely give the U.S. greater leverage to pursue a robust peace process in 2013.

4. Diplomacy is National Security

The now iconic picture of senior officials gathered in the Situation Room during the Osama Bin Laden raid will forever memorialize one of the principal national security achievements of the first Obama administration. Clinton supported the raid and was a key player in adjusting U.S.-Pakistan relations afterwards. She was also a strong proponent of NATO airstrikes in Libya that eventually led to Muammar Gaddafi’s ouster. Her active diplomacy was critical to securing United Nations Security Council authorization of the Libya mission and maintaining strong European and regional support for it. Without such robust diplomatic effort, the use of military force – in Pakistan and Libya – would not have been nearly as effective. Clinton’s role in these two military campaigns highlights the central role foreign policy plays in U.S. national security in the 21st century.

5. Texts From Hillary

In 2012, Clinton became an internet sensation because of a series of memes depicting her having fictitious, comical text exchanges with other celebrities while wearing her trademark sunglasses. Texts from Hillary became so popular that Clinton herself submitted her own caption to the website and invited its creators to meet with her at the State Department. Her star power and ability to capture the imagination of individuals around the world is one noteworthy aspect of her success.

Senator Kerry will likely succeed Hillary Clinton in early 2013. Her tenure as secretary of state is filled with accomplishments that taken together demonstrate the resurgence of U.S. diplomacy and restoration of American credibility. Her specific successes – such as Burma’s opening to the world or crippling effect of Iran sanctions – are important, but so too are her focus on people-to-people diplomacy and economics. Senator Kerry would do well to build upon Clinton’s impressive record once he moves over to Foggy Bottom.
hawkeye10

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 01:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The problem with that whole argument is that Obama micromanages everything out of the whitehouse, and we have no information that an exception was made for Hillary, and also her term as SS is noted for its lack of diplomatic success stories.

She traveled a lot and talked to a lot of people, let's stipulate that, now what did she accomplish with all of that traveling and yakking?
hawkeye10

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The now iconic picture of senior officials gathered in the Situation Room during the Osama Bin Laden raid will forever memorialize one of the principal national security achievements of the first Obama administration. Clinton supported the raid and was a key player in adjusting U.S.-Pakistan relations afterwards. US Pakistan relations sucked long before the raid and have continued to suck after. this a FAIL, and being one of many advisors to the decision maker means little. Tell me that she had a significant hand in getting Bin Laden and I would be interested, but you cant do that can you. She was also a strong proponent of NATO airstrikes in Libya that eventually led to Muammar Gaddafi’s ouster. That was a bad idea. FAIL Her active diplomacy was critical to securing United Nations Security Council authorization of the Libya mission and maintaining strong European and regional support for it. Without such robust diplomatic effort, the use of military force – in Pakistan and Libya – would not have been nearly as effective It was not effective, it was two of Obama's long list of global affair failures, usually born of miscalculations and lack of interest. This is not a team anyone in their right minds wants to admit having been on. Clinton’s role in these two military campaigns highlights the central role foreign policy plays in U.S. national security in the 21st century.

Just to take one section of here alleged good works. I can do this all up and down the list if you like
izzythepush

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The problem with that whole argument is that Obama micromanages everything out of the whitehouse,

So Obama should take the credit for all that good stuff.
Baldimo

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
But he doesn't take credit for the bad stuff.
Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawk...you are unable to think rationally when it comes to Hillary Clinton.

I doubt that bothers her.

It certainly does not bother me.

I replied for the sake of replying...not to attempt to pry open your mind.

I know what I can do...and what I cannot...and I am willing to live happily with my limitations.

Please continue your on-going rant...I am enjoying it. I hope others are also.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Lets do the next one up the list

Building on people-to-people diplomacy, Clinton has promoted U.S. values in a firm but respectful way that restored international faith in the U.S. that eroded during the Bush administration. Obama had that respect from day one,because is is not bush and because he is black and because he gave some good speeches on the campaign trail that made it seem like he cared about the world and had some new ideas. It was all downhill from there. But Clinton had nothing to do with it, and was not able to talk Obama into better moves, or into caring about global affairs. FAIL. Her outreach to Burma balances unwavering support for human rights with the promise of support to a previously suspicious regime and has opened that country to the world for the first time in decades. Aung San Suu Kyi is now free and her party actively participating in the governance reform effort in Burma. Nobody cares about Burma, it is china's problem, and it is not significantly better than it was before Obama. Clinton also rejuvenated U.S. engagement in the Middle East by brokering a ceasefire between Hamas and Israel earlier this year. The Israel/Palestinian problem is worse than it was when Obama took office, is arguably the worst it has ever been FAIL Her shuttle diplomacy and coordination with Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi will likely give the U.S. greater leverage to pursue a robust peace process in 2013. The Brotherhood being in charge was a BAD idea, and they were set up by the military who despite their highest ranking people having been trained by us and also the US giving them a lot of money every year completely ignored Obama/Clinton demands....to good result. I understand that the military took out the Brotherhood after clinton left office by a few months, but if she had been better at her job we would have been able to influence the situation rather than being blown off no matter how many threats we made. FAIL
Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawk...you are unable to think rationally when it comes to Hillary Clinton.

I doubt that bothers her.

It certainly does not bother me.

I replied for the sake of replying...not to attempt to pry open your mind.

I know what I can do...and what I cannot...and I am willing to live happily with my limitations.

Please continue your on-going rant...I am enjoying it. I hope others are also.
hawkeye10

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 02:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The point is that Hillary's argument is the same as Fiorina's....that she is a member of the elite who got themselves into positions of power and into the room with other elites. Now Fiorina very clearly made a complete hash of her job when she got into this high position, Hillary on the other hand cant point to hardly any place where her presence in a meeting or anywhere else ended up being good for america. She has spent her whole life playing a powerful important person doing good works for the camera's, but she does not have hardly anything to show us in the good works department. And if fake it till you make it has not worked to this point I dont see much hope that it will, she is a very old bird.
Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 03:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
You know what is becoming very evident to me, Hawk?

I am beginning to think that you are unable to think rationally when it comes to Hillary Clinton.

Yup...that is what I think.
izzythepush

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 03:07 pm
@Baldimo,
What like Fox News, the Tea Party and insane gun laws?
Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 03:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Oh, one other thing.

When she becomes president...that problem is going to cause you even more trouble than it is causing you right now.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 03:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

You know what is becoming very evident to me, Hawk?

I am beginning to think that you are unable to think rationally when it comes to Hillary Clinton.

Yup...that is what I think.

I still have not seen you point out one single place where all of her years in the elite, many spent in "public service" jobs , has made my life better.

GIve me one Frank, at least then I will know that her time on this planet has not been a total waste.
Baldimo

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 03:25 pm
@izzythepush,
What do any of those things have to do with Obama not accepting credit for when things go wrong. Why are you playing the "look over there game"?