When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Blickers

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 11:24 am
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
It is easy to visually see the difference in slopes of the GDP growth curve you posted both before and after the 2007 recession.

It is??

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/09440274-a372-4dbf-bc5b-e4572c882149_zps7tkgesv5.jpg
If there is a difference, it does not appear to be large.
cicerone imposter

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 11:32 am
@Blickers,
The graph does show that the recession began in 2007 and ended in 2009.
Many didn't recover their losses for a few years after the recession.
I remember reading about how much it took to recover losses.
If one starts with $100 and losses $25, it takes more than 25% to regain what was lost, because 25% of $75 is $18.75. It takes a little over 33.33% ($75x33.333%=$25.).
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 01:34 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

If there is a difference, it does not appear to be large.

Its not at all hard to see on your graph. Just hold a pencil near the data over the 1977- 2002 period and compare that to the period between bottom of your dip and now. From 1950 to 2005 there was a positive second derivative (upward bend) in the slope of the curve. That's gone now, and the growth rate is markedly lower than the pre recession rate. That's likely to remain very significant and have large effects over time if it is not corrected..

What do you suppose causes it?
Blickers

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 01:55 pm
@georgeob1,
With all respect, george, when it gets to the point that you are balancing multiple pencils up against your computer screen to extend the lines of slope out to the point where a difference becomes visible, you may want to consider that the difference is not large.
georgeob1

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 02:40 pm
@Blickers,
That was to help you overcome your denial. I can see it readily.
0 Replies

Blickers

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 02:43 pm
Can't see it at all. Let's leave it to the readers on the thread. Anybody see any big differences in the upward slope of the line before and after the red circle?
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/09440274-a372-4dbf-bc5b-e4572c882149_zps7tkgesv5.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 03:49 pm
@snood,
How did he make the money needed to buy a $600,000 second home? Do you have one.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 03:56 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

A list of speakers' incomes

1) Trump $1.5 million per speech
2) Hillary $200,000 to $250,000
3) Bill Clinton $200,000
4) Geitner $200,000
5) Bernanke $200,000 to $400,000
6) GW Bush $100,00 to $150,000
6) Rice $150,000
7) Summers $135,000
8) Gore $100,000
9) Sarah Palin $100,000
10) Plouffe $100,000
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/washingtons-highest-lowest-speaking-fees/story?id=24551590#2

Do you know who Trump spoke to? Do you know if it was a series of evil capitalist banking cartels who he now pledges to combat?

If Trump is still getting paid for giving speeches, I'll readily condemn the practice.

The political speech circuit is a thinly disguised scam for special interest groups to buy influence, or pay for the influence they had.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 03:57 pm
@Blickers,
Free market conservatives don't turn a blind eye to political corruption simply because it involves monetary transactions.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 04:00 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

blatham wrote:

I really want to see a careful analysis from political scientists backing up that claim, george. I really do.

What exactly is a "political scientist"? Are you one? Parados specializes in zeroing in on any favoravble single element of a question and implying, usually without evidence or comment,and often deceptively that it speaks for the whole. He did note the low number of bills submitted to the president, but failed to adress the either the cause for that or or the relative fractions vetoed. More to the point during his first term Harry Reid substantially eliminated the necessity of vetos by refusing to call votes at all in the Senate by legislation passed by the House by the Rpublican Majority there. Parados offered no quantification there. In the first term Obamacare was passed without a single Republican Vote in the House of Representatives and no negotiations with the minority party relative to its contents. That set the stage for all that followed. The divided Republican House did its part as well.

But you have to admit he's not too bad at it which has led me to the conclusion that he is a Social-Media operative for the Democrat Party who pissed of some higher up and was assigned A2K.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 04:02 pm
@Lash,
Trump hasn't been drawing in the salary of a professional politician for his whole life, so he doesn't belong in the comparison.

In any case a little corrupt is like a little pregnant.
0 Replies

Blickers

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 04:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
Free market conservatives don't turn a blind eye to political corruption simply because it involves monetary transactions.

Giving a speech is not corruption. And at least Bill & Hillary didn't refuse to pay the people who helped them write and research the speech, unlike that cheap, chiseling bastard Trump who pulled a disappearing act when the contractors who actually built his buildings handed him the bill.

How's that for a character issue? Oops, that's against the Republican, so it doesn't count.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 04:26 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote Finn:
Quote:

Giving a speech is not corruption. And at least Bill & Hillary didn't refuse to pay the people who helped them write and research the speech, unlike that cheap, chiseling bastard Trump who pulled a disappearing act when the contractors who actually built his buildings handed him the bill.

How's that for a character issue? Oops, that's against the Republican, so it doesn't count.

You score no points with me when you point out a failing in Trump. I'm not a supporter, as I have pointed out umpteen times, and even if I were what sort of defense is "Yeah, but the other guy does this..."
cicerone imposter

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 04:31 pm
@Blickers,
Can't believe some people have the audacity to defend Trump who has ripped off so many. Trump also denigrated the family of a fallen hero, the Kahns. Trump lies 91% of the time according to Politifact. Trump encourages violence at his meetings.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 04:44 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
What exactly is a "political scientist"? Are you one?

So, george. There's no such thing as a political scientist? No such thing as scholarship in the field of American politics? That's such a pathetic dodge, particularly after making claims for which you cite no one and nothing.

Here's two political scientists, one with AEI and the other with Brookings. If you are not interested in learning, don't bother with this. If you are adamant about holding your fixed ideas, don't bother with this. And if that is the case, I see no reason why anyone here ought to bother engaging you on this matter from here on out.
http://bloom.bg/2beq2NO

This is pretty rich, but pure blatham.

To your credit you do read many an opinion piece from the Right, but based on your history of A2K posts, I think it's fair to assume that prior to the candidacy of Trump it was to attempt to find ammo for your Left-wing arguments. Since Trump's rise to prominence you want to use these pieces to support your own aversion to the candidate, as if you always held these writers in esteem.

The richness comes from your insisting that george won't read your links because he doesn't want to change his fixed opinions when the truth of it is that your reading of these articles has never markedly changed yours. nor could it ever.
cicerone imposter

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 04:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Trump's rise to prominence is also his downfall. His big mouth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 05:02 pm
http://www.politicususa.com/2016/08/14/hillary-clinton-giant-step-turning-trumps-biggest-fear-reality.html

Quote:
The Clinton campaign announced:

On the four- year anniversary tomorrow when the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals’ (DACA) enrollment began, Hillary for America is launching a national voter registration program, “Mi Sueño, Tu Voto” (My Dream, Your Vote), to organize DREAMers to mobilize their communities and ask voters to consider what is at stake for their families in November. “DREAMers have played a pivotal role in our campaign, advocating for families who constantly live in fear of deportation–so we’ve created a program that aims to turn these stories into action,” said Lorella Praeli, National Director of the Latino Vote. The program calls on DREAMers across the country to join the campaign’s grassroots efforts to secure commitments from their community to vote for their future in November.

“We founded this program on the premise that, one by one– through friends, families, co-workers or classmates– DREAMers’ futures would be considered on Election day, ” stated Praeli.” “We may not have the right to vote, but “Mi Sueño, Tu Voto” will help ensure that our stories are heard and it will send a clear signal to Donald Trump that we cannot be silenced,” said Astrid Silva, Nevada DREAMer and immigrant rights activist. Hillary for America will be holding events across the country this week, including in Florida, Nevada and North Carolina, to unveil the program. “Mi Sueño, Tu Voto” will also serve to remind voters of Donald Trump’s hateful and dangerous agenda, highlighting his pledge to eliminate DACA and deport millions of DREAMers and immigrant families.

Interesting stuff.

http://time.com/4451658/hillary-clinton-carlos-gutierrez-george-w-bush/

Quote:
Carlos Gutierrez, the former Secretary of Commerce under President George W. Bush, has joined the ranks of Republicans who are supporting Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton over Republican nominee Donald Trump.

Gutierrez said Clinton would “make a darned good president” and be better for the U.S. economy, calling Trump’s economic policies a “disaster” during an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper. While Gutierrez agrees with Trump’s free trade platform, he said the Republican nominee’s economic policies would harm the country.

“The economy’s important to me. His plan, I love the tax cuts, I’m a Republican, but then he has this sort of import substitution strategy, which is a strategy like an underdeveloped country, very poor countries think that way,” he said. “(The idea) that we have to substitute our imports. That would be a disaster.”

Gutierrez said he felt he couldn’t support Trump following his racially insensitive comments in June, including one about U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel. At the time, Trump demanded Curiel recuse himself from the fraud cases against Trump University because his campaign’s position on illegal immigration created an “absolute conflict” with the judge, who is of Mexican descent.

“That for me was the end of it,” Gutierrez said. “I don’t want to go back fifty years.”

the Curiel incident got a fair bit of attention in a group of FB friends in Kentucky who'd never seemed political in the past.
0 Replies

parados

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 06:23 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
You will indeed have to deal with this one, because it is the main issue I had in mind and noted. I suspect your understranding of Senate rules and the powers of the Majority leader with regard to the refferral of legislation to committees, amendments to pending legislation and the the scheduling of debate and votes is quite deficient.

So, you are alleging that Reid prevented votes by refusing to refer legislation to committees? I know of no legislation passed by the House that wasn't referred to a Senate committee. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to which ones were held up in that process by Reid.

Debates and votes are scheduled only after the committees have voted on and sent the legislation to the floor. It is only at that time that the Senate Majority Leader can do anything about scheduling the vote on that legislation.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 06:46 pm
For those of you who have seen this medical guy following Hillary around, have seen footage of her mental freeze ups and heard quiet rumors about her health, she's completely mentally and physically incapable of holding any job- much less president.

I hope Bernie or Biden or someone can step in.

Google Hillary's health or seizures. She's had a few on camera.

http://www.darkpolitricks.com/2016/08/secret-service-leaks-hillarys-health-to-press/#.V7EKsDjnlfI.twitter

Why in hell doesn't she step aside for a viable candidate?
reasoning logic

Sun 14 Aug, 2016 06:50 pm
Now you that you know the truth, 'what do you plan to do about it?

The truth about the Clinton foundation in in less than ten minutes

[
0 Replies