When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 02:32 pm
@ehBeth,
re flows of immigrants into Canada from those heavenly home states - yeah, odd ain't it.
izzythepush

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 03:43 pm
@blatham,
Freedom is subjective, wealthy oligarchs in Hong Long are far freer to do whatever the **** they want and hang the consequences than their counterparts in Canada.
cicerone imposter

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 04:52 pm
@izzythepush,
Many from Hong Kong moved to Vancouver and fucked up the real estate market for the locals. That was many decades ago. Since I have not been to Vancouver in such a long time, I'm not sure how the native Vancouveran's feelings are today.
georgeob1

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 05:19 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

re flows of immigrants into Canada from those heavenly home states - yeah, odd ain't it.

They're coming to California too, and buying up property (often remotely and for cash) at a prodigious rate as well. I suspect the motivator is fear for the protection of accumulated wealth in a country without a real basic law or constitution.

That said both cities are quite pleasant, invigorating, and a great destination for travel (Beijing isn't as good, though the airport is breathtaking)
cicerone imposter

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 05:29 pm
@georgeob1,
The first time I flew into Beijing, their airport terminal was literally a shack. The hotel I stayed at was one of the tallest buildings in Beijing, and I could see the smoke stacks spewing smoke into the atmosphere. At that time, there were eleven million bikes in Beijing. Today, that hotel is no longer visible, and those eleven million bikes have been replace by eleven million cars.
I later learned that 1/3rd all of all the rivers are now polluted. Even back then, our Tour Director said she didn't drink tap water, and bought bottled water for cooking and drinking. I found the Hutong area of Beijing to be the most interesting section of the city. We used to go every day to the Hutong area for massages, because it was so cheap. We were told by the proprietor of the massage parlor that the premier was a frequent guest.
Lash

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 06:03 pm
@glitterbag,
You people either don't read much or have selective memories.

MANY PEOPLE raised hell about the first black presidential candidate with a real shot who was forced to get Secret Service coverage months early due to threats being hung out to die by Hillary. Her suggestion sparked a furious Keith Olbermann to go ballistic on her ass on camera.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/may/23/hillaryclinton.barackobama
Lash

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 06:07 pm
http://youtu.be/DLNFsl130_Y

Olbermann on the warpath against assassination-minded Clinton.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 07:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The new airport is a marvel, very beaudtiful - but still just an airport.

I found the city (beijing) a bit less polluted than four years ago - probably a result of restrictions on factories and the use of automobiles. Previously it was a bit like LA in the 1970s with the yellow, acrid air and low lying haze everywhere plus a lot of grit and carbon particulate. The coastal cities have it a lot better. It is difficult to fathom the vast development of infrastructure and new urban areas that have occurred in China over the past two decades. I think the cities that got the first growth spurt (like Beijing) fared the worst - too much reckless destruction of traditional architecture and too rapid and concentrated industrial development nearby.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 07:26 pm
@Lash,
I vote for the latter.

I don't think she was, in any way, suggesting Obama should be assassinated, nor was Trump suggesting Clinton should be assassinated.

Having said this, Trump is an idiot, and Clinton's best defense against continued revelations about her.

Now, the media is poised to take anything he says and ride it to death, but he keeps making their efforts easy for them.

At some point this pattern of unforced errors has to tell us something about him, I don't buy for a second the crazy theory that he is deliberately trying to tank his own campaign, but I do think he is incapable of modifying his rhetoric, or too stupid to realize that what works during primary contests doesn't necessarily work in the general election. It seems clear to me that he has impulse control problems. I don't believe such problems make him a threat for starting WWIII over a nasty tweet from Putin, but it could easily make him a threat for constantly making ill considered and outrageous comments that can have negative consequences for American interests.

While I don't believe he was seriously suggesting Clinton should be or could be shot by "2nd Amendment People" I also don't believe he only meant that they would "do something" by coming together and vote against her. He thought he was being clever and funny in a way someone might say something over the top when in a bar with their friends, and he won't knock it off for the simple reason that people are telling him he has to and he hates people telling him what he has to do, This sort of egotistical attitude, while unfortunately far too common among politicians, is not a good thing in a president; particularly when the person doesn't have the ability to turn it off when doing so is to his or her advantage.

While the news coverage is almost entirely consumed by this stupid comment, the important news about evidence of pay for play involving the State Dept and the Clinton Foundation isn't getting the attention it deserves. As well, the story of Seddique Mateen, the father of the Orlando killer Omar Mateen, appearing in the front rows of a Clinton Rally is dead on arrival. Now the fact that Mateen the Elder supports Clinton really doesn't say anything about Clinton is pretty irrelevant. If the father of Dylann Roof appeared in the same frame as the candidate at a Trump rally, it would be all over the news, with all sorts of sinister suggestions being made by Clinton surrogates. Trump wouldn't have had to say a word about it, he could have allowed surrogates to make the suggestions. Would it have been dirty? Yep, but no dirtier than the tricks all campaigns play. However he can't take advantage of what was almost certainly an unfortunate coincidence because, once again, his big mouth has redirected media attention away from Clinton and on himself.

This election is horrible. If Trump doesn't get his campaign on track and his fat trap under control, Clinton is going to run away with the election. Neither or them should win, but one will and an even worse result is one of them winning big so they are convinced they have a "mandate."

Right now even if Trump wins he will be fighting with a Republican held Senate and House. For whatever reason, Republicans can't seem to come together and work in concert with one another the way Democrats can. I don't think that even if Clinton wins big she can turn the Senate and the House blue, but if she does we will be looking at a true disaster.

Given that both of them are unqualified to be president, the "best" result will be the winner being seriously restrained by the other branches of government. Assuming that Clinton's coattails aren't formidable enough to win Democrats both the Senate and the House the "best" result if for her to win and be kept in check at least by the House. I hate to say it, but it's all I can hope for at this point. I just don't trust the Republicans to continue their fight with candidate Trump to President Trump.
cicerone imposter

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 08:14 pm
@georgeob1,
Have you visited Shanghai recently? My best friend, George, was born there, and his father was the president of the Bank of China before the cultural revolution. They escaped to Hong Kong, and his father gave him $10,000 in the late forties to come to the US for his college education. After he landed in San Francisco, he lived high on the hog and spent that $10 grand. He went to Hope College in Michigan while working. When I met him, he was working for Kemper Insurance in Chicago, and moonlighted at the night club, Club Waikiki, on Wilson Avenue as a waiter. He was one of the favorite waiters, and he had front row tables close to the stage. My buddy Hal's parents owned the club and also a first class restaurant, Nakanoya's, near Lincoln Park. I met Hal in the USAF while stationed at Walker AFB in New Mexico. I participated in the little theater group in Roswell, and we sponsored the Miss New Mexico pageant. Hal had an expensive recorder that he loaned us for the pageant to provide music. After that, we became fast friends. When he got discharged, he asked me to move to Chicago if I didn't have other plans, so that's what I did. He adopted me like a brother, and we went on double dates. He paid for everything. When I moved back to California to continue my education, both George and Hal eventually moved to California. They both came to my wedding, and I attended theirs.
Sorry for the autobiography.
ehBeth

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 08:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm not sure how the native Vancouveran's feelings are today.

it's ugly

the link goes to a 27 minute radio documentary

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/docproject/race-and-real-estate-in-vancouver-the-chickens-of-globalization-have-come-home-to-roost-1.3695986

Quote:
Tuesday August 02, 2016
Race and real estate in Vancouver: 'The chickens of globalization have come home to roost'

Wealthy Chinese immigrant investors are being blamed for pushing real estate prices sky high in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Wealthy Chinese immigrant investors are being blamed for pushing real estate prices sky high in Vancouver, British Columbia. (Getty)
LISTEN TO FULL EPISODE 27:30
Just last week the B.C. government announced it would tax foreign home buyers in the Vancouver region. The new 15-per-cent tax could add hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional taxes for buyers who aren't Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

This could have a major effect on the city's housing market, considering that foreign buyers — mainly from China — purchased more than $1 billion worth of B.C. property between June 10 and July 14th of this year.

The news of the tax has been applauded by Real Estate industry watchers and welcomed by many Vancouver natives, who for years have believed there's one major reason why housing prices were climbing beyond reach. And that reason — depending on who you talk to — could come off as, well, racist.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 03:09 am
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/291006-critics-seen-signs-of-improper-ties-in-new-clinton-emails

Pay for play proven. Hillary leads the destruction of democracy and fair representation by selling off America to the highest bidder.

roger

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 03:39 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Excellent.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 05:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
And there it is.
Quote:
This election is horrible. If Trump doesn't get his campaign on track and his fat trap under control, Clinton is going to run away with the election. Neither or them should win, but one will and an even worse result is one of them winning big so they are convinced they have a "mandate."
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 05:38 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
They're coming to California too

Yes, I know. But of course the point remains that the direction of immigration is one way.

I've always wanted to travel in china but haven't managed it.
revelette2

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 06:03 am
@Lash,
Quote:

Ron Fournier - The Atlantic - Wednesday, August 10, 2016

With her defeat all but certain, Hillary Clinton struggled in 2008 to explain why she refused to concede the Democratic nomination fight to Barack Obama. “We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California,” she said.

The response was universally harsh. Her team quickly explained that Clinton meant to note simply that this was not the first primary campaign to stretch into the summer, not to suggest that Obama might be assassinated. She publicly apologized to the Kennedy family.

The incident showed how desperate Clinton was to win, how ham-fisted she could be as a candidate, and how far she would stretch to parse a political gaffe.

Donald Trump’s defenders are dredging up the Kennedy quote to defend a far more grotesque comment their candidate made Tuesday.

I’m not a mind reader, so I don’t know what Trump meant to suggest when he said, “maybe there is” something Second Amendment supporters can do to prevent Clinton from picking judges.

But it almost doesn’t matter what Trump meant to say, because of the truth in this maxim about leadership: What you say isn’t nearly as important as what people hear you say.

What did people hear?

First, they heard Trump again and again, throughout the primary campaign, discuss violence at his rallies with language that was either recklessly provocative or purposely inciting.

They heard an adviser to Trump say that Clinton should face a firing squad for her handling of the Benghazi raid and her private email server.

They heard Trump lie about Clinton’s approach to the Second Amendment: She does not want to abolish it.

They heard Trump say there is nothing a gun-rights advocate can do to stop her from appointing liberal judges.

They heard him say, wait—maybe there is something you can do.

The people who are listening most closely to Trump tend to be those Americans most buffeted by economic and social change; least trusting in government, the media, and other social institutions; most enraged at the status quo, liberalism, and Washington; most likely to view Clinton as evil, the living embodiment of all they hate about politics and 21st-century America; and, finally, most likely to be exploited by Trump.

Many of them buy his spin. Trump says he was merely suggesting that gun-rights supporters will vote against Clinton. Right—and Clinton in 2008 was merely noting that Democratic campaigns run into the summer.

Unlike Trump, Clinton:

In no way suggested or implied that Obama be killed for his political views. Apologized for reckless language that could be misinterpreted. Never spoke of it again.

I believe most Trump supporters are actually smarter than their candidate and more tolerant. They aren’t insecure bullies and bigots and sexists, but they are so desperate for change that they’re willing to roll the dice.
We will not see an army of Clinton haters take up arms against her.
But it only takes one.

If Trump meant to incite violence, he should be in jail. If this was an accident—if Trump doesn’t understand the danger he loaded into his language; if he doesn’t know how to measure his words—he should not be president.

source
blatham

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 06:40 am
There is a rich tradition in the extreme sector of the right in America to suggest gun violence against political leaders and government officials to cure political ills (as conceived by them).
Quote:
Trump Just The Latest On Hard Right To Call For '2nd Amendment Remedies'
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/trump-second-amendment-people-context
It is the sort of rhetoric from extremists that led to the assassination of Rabin in Israel.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:00 am
@revelette2,
That's just a Clinton shill spinning it in their preferred direction. When you float the suggestion of assassination, you get it out there. She did that, just not quite as crudely as the one who did it to her.

The Kennedys and Obama supporters were furious because more so than anyone in recent years, assassination was a great and growing concern re Obama - and a hope for those who stood to benefit, like Clinton.
Blickers

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote cicerone imposter:
Quote:
I met Hal in the USAF while stationed at Walker AFB in New Mexico. I participated in the little theater group in Roswell,

Roswell, New Mexico??

So now it all comes out. Come clean, ci, what's your connection to the aliens that crash landed there?
Very Happy.. Very Happy.. Very Happy.. Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:06 am
@Lash,
Fournier a Clinton shill? Can't stand the guy, but that's a stretch..