When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 04:36 pm
Let me add something re the point you raise of "bias".

Freedom from it is not possible. We're all biased. So that's the starting point. But to say or admit that we all have biases obviously doesn't make everyone's viewpoints equal in worth. Some people have biases that are, for whatever set of reasons, not available for reflection. Evidence which contradicts does not penetrate whereas with others, it can and does. Take young-earth creationists, as just one example.

Here's a real-life example. I was speaking with a very good friend from Texas who is a young-earth creationist. She believed, as most in that community do, that carbon dating is a scam. I explained to her that there is a very simple way to establish the accuracy of this dating method - tree rings. Take samples and test. There is a known error curve (increasing over time) in carbon dating but that error curve is known, from tree ring tests. And given that some trees, like California's bristlecone pine can live 5000 years, we can go back a long ways in testing. A week or two after I explained this, I asked her again about carbon dating. She still considered it undependable.

So it becomes a matter of discerning the influence or degree of bias. People who lie or purposefully deceive a lot probably ought not to be trusted or at least, ought to be regarded with more scepticism than normal. People, like the nice lady above, who are not susceptible to changing key ideas, not so helpful in getting to the truth of things.

As to publications of a political nature particularly, bias, being inevitable, is fine. It is those other factors that produce the problems. But I'd really recommend that you read Jay Rosen's writing on what he terms "The View from Nowhere". He writes at pressthink. Really smart guy.
reasoning logic

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 06:53 pm
This is a very good movie that is a must see. It stars Hillary and Bill Clinton.

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 07:20 pm
Quote:
Breitbart News has generated a lot of the angst and hate directed at me in the past number of months, with the Trump cult of personality being led to take all sorts of actions. Without a doubt, the several times Breitbart has declared me an enemy of Trumpism or mischaracterized my statements to be pro-Clinton there is a direct correlation to the wave of hate directed at my radio station. The latest wave began three days ago.

I cannot imagine Breitbart News does not realize it. I suspect they relish the fact that Trump fans who read the site are showing up on people’s doorsteps and harassing employers to fire employees. In my opinion, the site has become, intentionally or not, the digital Joseph Goebbels of the Trump movement, running a propaganda campaign masquerading as news.

That's from Eric Erikson

http://theresurgent.com/breitbart-news-begins-trum...
0 Replies

parados

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 07:41 pm
@giujohn,
I am serious. It seems you aren't.

(f) is not applicable as stated by the FBI director.
You can't begin to charge Hillary under this part of the law.
1. You would have to argue that the emails were related the the national defense.
2. You would have to argue that the emails were in Hillary's lawful possession when on her server.
3. In order for those emails to be in Hillary's lawful possession when on her server, you would have to argue that Hillary's server was legal.
4. You would then have to prove that the emails were taken from Hillary's server which the FBI director said there is no evidence of.

You can't prove any of the above so you can't claim she did anything illegal.
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 07:53 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Take samples and test. There is a known error curve (increasing over time) in carbon dating but that error curve is known, from tree ring tests. And given that some trees, like California's bristlecone pine can live 5000 years,

Sooooo, knowing the age of a living tree gives credibility to a test on the breakdown of carbon molecules in fossils and rock structures dating sometimes millions of years?

I'm not surprised your friend was unconvinced.

Carbon-dating is just one method of determining approximate ages of things, agreed upon by peer-reviewed groups of people. It's neither proven, nor specifically reliable for all test results, and science knows this.
parados

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:01 pm
@georgeob1,
Wow. Talking of illogic, your statement is the epitomy of it. Oralloy claimed that is is a FACT that her server was hacked and there was no way to tell who hacked her. I merely pointed out that lack of evidence of her being hacked is not evidence she was hacked. It is NOT a fact that her server was hacked. Anyone claiming it is a FACT is lying.

Quote:
the fact is that unless the network itself is continuously and actively monitored there is generally no evidence left behind in a successful hacking.
Complete and utter bullshit. Unless the hacker gets access to all logs on the computer there is no way to wipe away all their activity. Any secure server set up would not allow remote root access to an entire system and would keep backups of all logs in another place inaccessible to remote access. I have known that for over a decade. Do you even know what is logged on a system or where it would normally be logged or how to create a log outside the normal system.

Quote:
We are left then with the question of what might be the likelihood that a successful hacking of an unsecured private network of a sitting Secretary of State occurred over a nearly four year period,
Yes, we are left with that question and unless you know the setup of the server and what services were turned on you have no way of knowing the likelihood of it being hacked. A properly set up email server that is only used as an email server and has no other services running would be almost impossible to hack simply because there is no way to remotely access the computer. Most hacks are people that use email on a specific desktop computer run something they shouldn't. This is not likely to have happened on Clinton's server since it was only an email server and everyone sent and received their email from other devices. The biggest danger was people's individual email accounts being hacked through someone getting their password. That has absolutely nothing to do with where or what the email server is that is being used.
0 Replies

parados

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:09 pm
@Builder,
Quote:

Sooooo, knowing the age of a living tree gives credibility to a test on the breakdown of carbon molecules in fossils and rock structures dating sometimes millions of years?

How nice of you to prove Blatham's point. One can't argue with stupid when stupid refuses to even look at the facts of what they are attempting to argue.

Quote:
When the animal or plant dies, it stops exchanging carbon with its environment, and from that point onwards the amount of 14
C it contains begins to decrease as the 14
C undergoes radioactive decay. Measuring the amount of 14
C in a sample from a dead plant or animal such as a piece of wood or a fragment of bone provides information that can be used to calculate when the animal or plant died. The older a sample is, the less 14
C there is to be detected, and because the half-life of 14
C (the period of time after which half of a given sample will have decayed) is about 5,730 years, the oldest dates that can be reliably measured by radiocarbon dating are around 50,000 years ago, although special preparation methods occasionally permit dating of older samples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating

So you attempt to argue that Carbon dating is wrong because it can't be used on rocks and fossils millions of years old. Meanwhile Carbon dating says that it can't test those things.

Builder

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:16 pm
@parados,
Quote:
So you attempt to argue that Carbon dating is wrong because it can't be used on rocks and fossils millions of years old. Meanwhile Carbon dating says that it can't test those things.

Don't try to put words in my mouth. You're misquoting myself and Blatham.

His argument was to do with young-earth creationism against carbon-dating facts.

Strawman arguments. You're fond of them.
snood

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:22 pm
Two sure hacks for a more pain free life:

1) Never drive rail spikes into your ear cavities.
2) Never read Builder's posts
Builder

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:31 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Never read Builder's posts

But, you can't help yourself, canya Kid?

Still backing that Hillary gal?
That's all the people need to know about your credibility factor.
Blickers

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:34 pm
@Builder,
She just moved five points ahead. It's so nice of you to share with us that closed off little mental world you inhabit.
Builder

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:40 pm
@Blickers,
Another one who thinks this isn't theatre for the masses.

Keep up the hope, buddy.
Blickers

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:54 pm
@Builder,
If Al Gore gets the Electoral College, the US never goes into Iraq. This isn't theater.
Builder

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 09:13 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
If Al Gore gets the Electoral College,

Making movies now, isn't he? Not theatre?

Iraq has been a fiasco. Same with Libya and Syria.

Bit players on a larger stage.

I don't wonder why veterans are suiciding in large numbers.
Blickers

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 09:25 pm
@Builder,
Like I said, if Al Gore gets the Electoral College like he got the popular vote, the US does not go into Iraq. That's a major difference in policy due to the fact that one candidate got into the Oval Office and other did not. Which defeats your argument that this is some kind of theater.

You make trashy posts based on the idea that you are somehow above it all. In fact, you're just another internet peddler selling "New World Order is coming" brain damage. The rest of the world knows that it matters very much who wins in November, so your posts are a waste of time.
georgeob1

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 09:31 pm
@blatham,
Are you starting to use equivalence arguments yourself?

The editorial position of the New Yorker magazine is as well defdined (though different) as that of the National Review, and I think you know that.
Builder

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 09:49 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
The rest of the world knows that it matters very much who wins in November,

So tell us what will change come November.

We've already established that if Sanders won, nothing would change.

Don't you remember that exchange?

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 10:30 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Are you starting to use equivalence arguments yourself?

I think few people would conclude that when I say X and Y are not equivalent that I've just made an equivalence argument.

Quote:
The editorial position of the New Yorker magazine is as well defdined (though different) as that of the National Review, and I think you know that.

There's equivalence. And it is false for the reasons I gave you. Here's an analogy of what you're doing...

Stephen Sondheim is equivalent to (just a mirror image of) Ted Nugent.
blatham

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 10:45 pm
Max Boot is a long-time conservative though his policy ideas place him with the neoconservatives. He has written in the WSJ and Weekly Standard, the Post and the Times and blogs at Commentary.
Quote:
It’s hard to know exactly when the Republican Party assumed the mantle of the “stupid party.”

Stupidity is not an accusation that could be hurled against such prominent early Republicans as Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Elihu Root and Charles Evans Hughes. But by the 1950s, it had become an established shibboleth that the “eggheads” were for Adlai Stevenson and the “boobs” for Dwight D. Eisenhower — a view endorsed by Richard Hofstadter’s 1963 book “Anti-Intellectualism in American Life,” which contrasted Stevenson, “a politician of uncommon mind and style, whose appeal to intellectuals overshadowed anything in recent history,” with Eisenhower — “conventional in mind, relatively inarticulate.” The John F. Kennedy presidency, with its glittering court of Camelot, cemented the impression that it was the Democrats who represented the thinking men and women of America.

Rather than run away from the anti-intellectual label, Republicans embraced it for their own political purposes.
http://nyti.ms/2anuN96
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 31 Jul, 2016 11:11 pm
@blatham,
Bullshit