When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

revelette2

Sun 8 May, 2016 03:47 pm
@blatham,
To condense it down to my level, you mean the left really don't have all the resources to fight the anti-government of the right wing machine? You are right, we don't. Nevertheless, it seems we still end up winning the WH simply because there are more leftist than there are right wing anti-government. Not sure how long we can keep doing it. One person in the WH can't change much like you said, which is why I hope we at least re-take the senate which is probably more important than winning the WH, or at least as much as important.
blatham

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:19 pm
@revelette2,
I think the WH is extremely important. Consider what Obama has achieved versus what Bush 2 "achieved". Or Johnson versus Nixon. And then there's the aspect of the Supreme Court and that has profound consequences that can last a generation. But yes, we definitely want a Senate which is not held by a group who believe their tenure there has two functions: 1) gaining/retaining power regardless of all else and 2) obstructing governance rather than facilitating it.

Dems consistently gain the popular vote in presidential elections for the reason that the majority of Americans prefer their candidates over the GOP candidates. And there is consistent polling that tells us Republican voters are more closely aligned with many Dem policy prescriptions than they are with modern GOP policy prescriptions which is why people like Ryan hardly ever get around to actually being specific on matters like budget or Obamacare replacement. When Bush openly pushed for SS "reform", even his base went for his throat. And for good reason.

I'm not worried about Trump taking the White House. He's surprised everyone so far, no question, but that was in relation to the right wing activist base and their racism, xenophobia, and misogyny was broadly underestimated. As was their trained-in hatred of government (a near half century project - you can carbon-date it to the Powell memo - very smartly executed).
izzythepush

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:25 pm
@ehBeth,
That's just a pollster's opinion. We don't have news networks or papers saying someone has won before the result is in. Even after the first round when it looked fairly certain Khan was going to make it the response on the BBC was still muted.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:30 pm
@Blickers,
The mayor of London is responsible for services across the capital. The Lord Mayor is the one concerned with the Square Mile.

Quote:
It's the dark heart of Britain, the place where democracy goes to die, immensely powerful, equally unaccountable. But I doubt that one in 10 British people has any idea of what the Corporation of the City of London is and how it works. This could be about to change. Alongside the Church of England, the Corporation is seeking to evict the protesters camped outside St Paul's cathedral. The protesters, in turn, have demanded that it submit to national oversight and control.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/oct/31/corporation-london-city-medieval
ossobuco

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks, Izzy, I didn't all know that re Lord Mayor and the Mayor of the capital. I suppose I could have guessed if I had thought about it. I think I thought Lord Mayor was an old fashioned term for Mayor. Anyway, I happy as a clam re Kahn winning.
blatham

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:37 pm
this is from digby

"How can it be that America in 2016, when the country is finally on the verge of nominating the first woman for president on one of the two major party tickets, has produced an unreconstructed misogynist pig out of some 1950s nightmare to run against her? " http://bit.ly/24FxsfH

And isn't that a damned interesting question.
natturner

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:43 pm
@blatham,
The same sort of thing could be said about the 2 terms of a black president happening simultaneously with an escalation of race based animus and acts of police brutality against people of color.
ehBeth

Sun 8 May, 2016 04:44 pm
@blatham,
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

Makes sense to me after seeing the racist craziness inspired by the election of President Obama.

Old white men are nervous and acting out.

I wouldn't underestimate the possibility of a President Trump.
blatham

Sun 8 May, 2016 05:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Caution is warranted, I grant. But the numbers do not work in his favor or even close, thus the right wing panic. Or part of it.

Quote:
Old white men are nervous and acting out.

I know I am.
blatham

Sun 8 May, 2016 05:38 pm
Possibly off topic

You know, some money-making business retail schemes can be made more compelling if tied to another sort of retail operation. Like "PayNuttin' Food and Shoes". People think, why not kill two birds with one AK47?

But some combinations don't match up well. For example...

Barbi Qs Funeral Home and Butcher Shop
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 8 May, 2016 09:17 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
The republican party is dead meat. They have been rotting and decaying since at least the Gringrinch days. Now they have finaly exhaled their last fathomable word.

Actually, thanks to the 2013 gun control debacle, we're about to see a huge Republican victory in 2016.

And Mr. Trump will be the first in a long succession of Republican presidents. The Democrats may as well pack it in for the next 20 years or so. The first half of the 21st century belongs to the Republicans.
oralloy

Sun 8 May, 2016 09:19 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
When Bush openly pushed for SS "reform", even his base went for his throat. And for good reason.

The Republican base did not oppose fixing Social Security. It was only Democrats who thought that it is better to let Social Security go bankrupt than to fix it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 8 May, 2016 09:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
this is from digby

"How can it be that America in 2016, when the country is finally on the verge of nominating the first woman for president on one of the two major party tickets, has produced an unreconstructed misogynist pig out of some 1950s nightmare to run against her?"

And isn't that a damned interesting question.

The answer is straightforward enough. It is because the Left falsely accuses everyone who disagrees with them of being a racist and/or misogynist.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 8 May, 2016 09:21 pm
@natturner,
natturner wrote:
The same sort of thing could be said about the 2 terms of a black president happening simultaneously with an escalation of race based animus and acts of police brutality against people of color.

Except there has been no escalation of race-based animus. And it is hardly police brutality when police defend themselves against violent attack.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 9 May, 2016 01:41 am
@ossobuco,
People remember the story of Dick Whittington if nothing else.

Btw, the Square Mile needs cleaning up, at the moment it's a private club for the very wealthy.
Olivier5

Mon 9 May, 2016 03:38 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
we're about to see a huge Republican victory in 2016.

Wanna bet?
Olivier5

Mon 9 May, 2016 03:39 am
@blatham,
And what are the old white women doing...?
blatham

Mon 9 May, 2016 06:17 am
@natturner,
Quote:

Indeed.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 9 May, 2016 06:19 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
And what are the old white women doing...?

I can't say. They're staying away from me.
Olivier5

Mon 9 May, 2016 06:27 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I can't say. They're staying away from me.

Old and not so old white women can be seen at Trump rallies too. It's not like it's a male-only audience, unfortunately.

http://www.snopes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/make-america-white-again.jpg
0 Replies