When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 03:11 pm
@oralloy,
How much are you willing to bet?
snood

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 03:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'd take some of that action.
cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 03:28 pm
@snood,
Probably didn't hear about Hillary.
Blickers

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 03:28 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
The damage caused by the 2013 gun control debacle will sweep Mr. Trump into office

I like the way that you call him Mr. Trump, like those fearful contestants on his TV show who are terrified of having Trump fire them. Very Happy
snood

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 05:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Probably didn't hear about Hillary.

If you can get him to put his money where his mouth is, I want in on the bet. My prediction is, even though he's talking all sorts of outlandishly confident sounding noise about Trump being a lock for POTUS, he will find a reason to demure. Against his morals to bet, or something. LOL
oralloy

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 05:33 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Tell you guys what. If you want to earn me some money, why don't you see if you can get this down to 99¢ NO/1¢ YES:

http://www.predictit.org/Contract/611/Will-the-Republican-presidential-nominee-win-at-least-370-electoral-votes-in-2016

If I can get a 100 to 1 payout it will be pretty profitable.
snood

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 05:41 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

snood wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Tell you guys what. If you want to earn me some money, why don't you see if you can get this down to 99¢ NO/1¢ YES:

http://www.predictit.org/Contract/611/Will-the-Republican-presidential-nominee-win-at-least-370-electoral-votes-in-2016

If I can get a 100 to 1 payout it will be pretty profitable.

Ooo, too rich for me
cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 06:20 pm
@snood,
That's okay. The bet is .001c.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 06:54 pm
@snood,
Or he will bet than just refuse to pay off.
0 Replies

revelette2

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 06:10 am
The numbers show voters are coalescing around Hillary in California
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 06:21 am
@Blickers,
He's got a letter of application sitting on Mr Trump's desk. He used his best crayon.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:05 am
This is an excellent article naming all the reasons why Bernie would be a good pick as running mate if Hillary wins the nomination. Disclaimer: No, Bernie fans, this is not meant as a diss for Bernie, or a dismissal of his chances to win the nomination - he has a path to victory; there is another, separate case to be made about who Bernie should choose for his Veep.

I thought this article made a really solid case why Bernie would be a good pick, and how many ways this would be a good idea for America if he accepted. Please read, consider, and comment.

This is an excerpt, but there's much more:
1. From the VP perch, Bernie will be in the ideal position to continue to mobilize voters to achieve the policy ends he has championed. (Two days after President Obama’s first election, I urged him to do just that. He didn’t. It hurt.)

2. Many of the differences between Bernie and Hillary are resolvable. For example, in health care, adding the public option to Obamacare provides the means for both perspectives to be incorporated. In banking, breaking up the big banks makes passing Glass-Steagall less compelling. Minimum wage level compromises are being forged all around the country.

3. Bernie should insist, and Hillary should agree, that on cabinet positions such as Treasury, Labor, HHS, that Bernie and she need to have a consensus. My choice for Treasury: former Labor Secretary, Robert Reich. For HHS, Howard Dean, M.D. For Labor: Larry Cohen, President of the Communications Workers.

4. From the VP perch, Bernie could not only mobilize the pressure in the Congress for an amendment to overturn Citizens United, he could barnstorm states as their legislatures were considering the amendment to ratify it. He could also insist that IRS re-write the rules on “dark money” to be consistent with Congressional language when it was passed.

5. Bernie should be permitted to avoid many of the ceremonial chores of the Vice-Presidency, so he has time to focus on policy and mobilization. That is where Bill Clinton becomes even more valuable. Having a former president who is the husband of the sitting president attend to many of these symbolic duties, rather than the sitting Vice-President, is no reduction in honor or prestige of those events.

6. Due to age, this is Bernie’s last hurrah as a potential presidential candidate. By bringing the party together, by helping the ticket win a resounding victory in November, by employing his new-found fame and passionate support to mobilize pressure not just to talk about, but actually to pass important legislation, he will have made contribution to our country as large as he might have as president.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-abrams/if-hillary-wins-the-nomination_b_9553748.html
engineer

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:23 am
@snood,
I think Sanders will think that he has a better chance to affect change in the Senate than as VP. Clinton should select someone with a progressive bent in his or her 40's, someone who would be ready in four to eight years to take the helm. That also excludes Warren who is 66. Warren and Sanders could be a core of Congressional support for more activism.
maporsche

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:27 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think Sanders will think that he has a better chance to affect change in the Senate than as VP.

Not sure why he'd think that. He's been pretty much silent in the Senate.
snood

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:28 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think Sanders will think that he has a better chance to affect change in the Senate than as VP. Clinton should select someone with a progressive bent in his or her 40's, someone who would be ready in four to eight years to take the helm. That also excludes Warren who is 66. Warren and Sanders could be a core of Congressional support for more activism.

I see the logic. The biggest, most compelling reason I think Bernie might be a good VP pick is the overwhelming flood of voters Bernie would attract for the general election, and the momentum his 'movement' would provide - to enact progressive policies and 'coattail' in Dem senators and congressmen.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:31 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

engineer wrote:

I think Sanders will think that he has a better chance to affect change in the Senate than as VP.

Not sure why he'd think that. He's been pretty much silent in the Senate.

As a result of this primary season Bernie is going to have incredibly increased status and influence. It could be argued that because of his worldwide exposure he will now no longer even be the same politician as he had been for all those incognito years, for all intents, purposes and legislative heft.
cicerone imposter

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:13 am
@snood,
But that will no effect on the republican gridlock.
Blickers

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
Depends on how this election goes. The Republican establishment fear is that either Trump or Cruz might be such a disaster on Election Night that the "underticket" Republicans lose as well, giving the Democrats a majority in the Senate. Of course, there is still the issue of Republican filibusters and the 60 vote rule for bringing bills to a vote, but a majority is a start.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

But that will no effect on the republican gridlock.

I'm not addressing that at all. I was only talking about how Bernie as a veep would help Hillary and the Democratic cause. However, their ticket could have the effect of sweeping a bunch of new blood into Congress, and that would affect the gridlock.
cicerone imposter

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 01:02 pm
@snood,
Sweeping change in congress?