When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Lash

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 05:44 am
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/clinton-email-scandal-why-it-might-be-time-for-democrats-to-draft-joe-biden/2016/02/05/cd69dfea-cc18-11e5-a7b2-5a2f824b02c9_story.html?tid=sm_tw

Lots of news orgs have similar stories today.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 05:57 am
Why, golly! That must be the very best speechifying couple who ever lived!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/05/politics/hillary-clinton-bill-clinton-paid-speeches/index.html

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 06:49 am
For those who deem Rick Snyder is one of the sleaziest humans presently plodding this down and out planet, take a look at this from Digby
http://bit.ly/1XbGJbf
Lash

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 08:14 am
This other shoe has been a long time falling.

Clinton charity finally on watchdog list for shady ****.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/26/charity-watchdog-clinton-foundation-a-slush-fund/
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 09:04 am
http://www.nolandalla.com/i-just-got-push-polled-by-hillary-clintons-nevada-campaign/

Hillary busted big time push polling.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 11:27 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

For those who deem Rick Snyder is one of the sleaziest humans presently plodding this down and out planet, take a look at this from Digby
http://bit.ly/1XbGJbf

I read the article in the link you provided, mostly because your intro constasted so much with my own impressions of Gov. Snyder.

What is sleazy about buying a fancy birthday cake for your wife's birthday, and from a small local shop that specializes in such things?
Blickers

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 11:50 am
@georgeob1,
Normally nothing, but Snyder's the governor involved in the Flint water situation, where the people there still have horribly lead poisoned water coming out of their faucets. Still no water delivery to the people to drink, still no pipes fixed. And while all this is going on, this is the cake that he has baked for his wife. These bags and jewelry are not real, they are made of cake and frosting:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EUfN8J5UpNY/VrZTMtzWtkI/AAAAAAAAec4/i4Sg6tifqQM/s640/Screenshot%2B2016-02-06%2Bat%2B12.09.32%2BPM.png
georgeob1

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 02:05 pm
@Blickers,
What then is the connection between the birthday cake and the Failure of the Flint City water authorities to continue using their phosphate water treatment/corrosion inhibitor during a temporary abnormal water source event? The problem arose in a the municipal water department of a Democrat City government. There were oversight failures in both the State and Federal Government, though those in the EPA were worse and longer lasting.

To borrow a phrase from your workbook you appear to be motivated by :your continuing hatred of the Republican Governor who rescued the collapsing finances of a troubled state government and brought Right to Work legislation nto Michigan.
snood

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 02:34 pm
@georgeob1,
You mean the Republican governor who effectively poisoned a large number of people directly as a result of his attempt to save money by using cheaper filtration and a dirtier water source? That stalwart public servant?
georgeob1

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 03:45 pm
@snood,
I believe that desision was made by the Flint municipal water authority. They also maintain the water treatment and distribution system. The problem encountered was not so much the the source of supply, but rather their failure to maintain a very standard practice of adding phosphates to the water to prevent corrosion and the leeching of lead from old household feeder lines into the system.
glitterbag

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 04:28 pm
@georgeob1,
George, you are not correct. The problem is directly attributable to the source of water. There are aquifers the rest of the State uses but a conscious decision was made to switch the City of Flint to the Flint river. That decision was made to save money, and it's a sad day in Mudville when you make a decision to switch the water supply to a toxic source because it's cheaper. At this time all methods used to supply tainted water to homes and offices have to be treated or replaced. Personally I think it's a job only the Federal Government can perform. The Gov. of Michigan has said it will take the Sate 15 years to replace the Flint pipes, none have been replaced and I suppose they still have committee's evaluating the problem.

Money can fix the poisoned water supply, but there is not enough money in the world that will reverse the damage done to the young children who have been exposed to high levels of lead. That creates another problem, Lead poisoning creates developmental problems in these children and they may not be able to function as a fully developed adult.

0 Replies

parados

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 04:28 pm
@georgeob1,
I suppose if you just ignore all the other problems and how they occurred, you could make that argument george.

The city was under state management. The manager appointed by the state on more than one occasion ignored the vote of the city council since under the state control the city council had no power.
The state appointed manager signed the documents to switch water supply
The state appointed manager refused to negotiate a new contract with Detroit until the new water system was online forcing the city to use another source which the city manager decided to be the Flint River.
The state appointed manager hired the engineering firm, Lockwood Andrews and Newman, that was tasked with equipping the water plant to use river water.
The state appointed manager turned down Detroit's offer to hook up to the water system again.
State regulators approved the work done on the water plant to use Flint River water.

The decisions were almost exclusively made by the state and it's appointed managers. The state tested the water. The state approved the work.

http://michiganradio.org/post/timeline-heres-how-flint-water-crisis-unfolded#stream/0
parados

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 04:36 pm
@georgeob1,
The failure to maintain a very standard practice of adding phosphates was the result of the state screwing up.

Oct. 19, 2015

The Department of Environmental Quality director, Dan Wyant, reports that his staff used inappropriate federal protocol for corrosion control.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/21/us/flint-lead-water-timeline.html
http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,4561,7-135--367529--,00.html

Sure.. it must have been the Democratic city council that had no power and couldn't do anything officially when the state was in control of the city. Of course, you must be right, george. After all you are just making **** up.

0 Replies

snood

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 04:41 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I believe that desision was made by the Flint municipal water authority. They also maintain the water treatment and distribution system. The problem encountered was not so much the the source of supply, but rather their failure to maintain a very standard practice of adding phosphates to the water to prevent corrosion and the leeching of lead from old household feeder lines into the system.

The responsibility for this catastrophe is being bandied around, but the bottom line is that Snyder appointed the Emergency Manager, Darnell Earley, who has been identified as the one who made the decision to use the dirty water source. Should the Governor be held responsible for decisions made by his appointed subordinates? I guess there is some basis for argument there.
ehBeth

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 04:42 pm
@parados,
I listened to this on PRI the other night

http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-02-05/volunteer-islamic-relief-usa-spent-his-fall-helping-refugees-lesbos-and-now

thank goodness for volunteers of all sorts helping the people in Flint out

Quote:
Even though the city switched back to the Detroit water system in October, test results from January 31 still show unhealthy lead levels in many homes. It’s not clear how long it will be until the drinking water is safe again. For now, the clean water people require does not reliably come out of the tap in Flint.

Abdullah continued to drive. “It literally looks like a war zone out here,” he said as we passed through block after block of abandoned, burned and gutted houses. “There are certain blocks that are so run down they resemble pictures out of [bombed] Syrian neighborhoods.”

We started talking about the Syrians on Lesbos again, where we met. We saw thousands of refugees forced to leave home and seek safety elsewhere. Now, in Flint, we were again seeing people where were seeking safety — but inside their own homes.

“The similarities are pretty striking,” he said about the refugees and the people in Flint. “If anything here, they resemble internally displaced peoples within their own country. How can this be happening in the United States?”
0 Replies

roger

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 05:03 pm
@Blickers,
My question would be who paid for the cake. Snyder or the state.
georgeob1

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 07:25 pm
@snood,
I stand corrected on the State manager of the city. However the choice of water source was not the likely source of the lead contamination. Instead the suspension of the phosphate treatment (by whom and for what purpose I don't know) was the likely cause. Though the city mains are likely lead free, most older cities service homes with some lead containing pipes or joints and the phosphate treatment is a standard practice to maintain a stable oxide layer on the pipe surface to inhibit corrosion. Indeed restoring it was the corrective measure here.
glitterbag

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 07:29 pm
@roger,
The Governor likely paid for the cake. I don't live in Michigan and I don't care how he spends his own money, but if I lived in Flint and couldn't drink or bathe in the water I pay for I might be a tad torked over that cake.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 07:35 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I stand corrected on the State manager of the city. However the choice of water source was not the likely source of the lead contamination. Instead the suspension of the phosphate treatment (by whom and for what purpose I don't know) was the likely cause. Though the city mains are likely lead free, most older cities service homes with some lead containing pipes or joints and the phosphate treatment is a standard practice to maintain a stable oxide layer on the pipe surface to inhibit corrosion. Indeed restoring it was the corrective measure here.

That's almost true, the decision to not use the recommended treatment was canned because it would cost $100 a day for 30 days, and the bean counters nixed the fix. The penny wise, pound foolish method didn't factor in the poisoning of children.
georgeob1

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 07:50 pm
@glitterbag,
That may be, but the usual source of lead is in the internal piping in older houses and the lateral pipes that connect them to the mains. That source is independent of where the city gets it's water, though that may have been an additional factor in this case. The phosphate treatment is a standard continuous procedure in almost all municipal water treatment plants all the time.Why it was interrupted in this case is inexplicable to me.