When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 06:09 am
Quote:
An interesting analytical nugget from the conservative GOP establishment via Mario Loyola at the National Review: "The working-class Republican voter feels he's getting screwed from every direction: corporations, lazy people on welfare, criminals who have learned to play the victim, illegal immigrants, foreign governments, and of course the politicians who sell out to all of them. He looks at the political firmament and sees nobody who addresses his grievances, nobody who speaks like him, nobody who speaks for him. Victimized and voiceless, the Republican working-class voter had already lost faith in the party. Now he may be losing faith in democracy itself."
http://bit.ly/1S8pfNN
I trust we all appreciate the dangers lurking here.

What the modern right, definitely including the NRO crowd, is so utterly blind to is the complicity of movement conservatism and the GOP in bringing about this proximity to a fascist-friendly state of mind.

When you relentlessly, over decades, encourage citizens to think that a citizen-representative government is the most fundamental source of oppression and coercion, what other consequence is more likely than this one.
georgeob1

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 10:18 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Picking which journalists to talk to and avoiding situations where unpicked journalists might confront a Republican candidate has been a staple message-control tactic of the GOP leadership and GOP candidates themselves for several election cycles now. And Fox has been happily, eagerly complicit in this game.

Do you really believe this is a behavior exclusive to Republicans?? Really??

The statement is certainly true on its own merits, but the implications are positively deceitful. Hardly the work of one devoted to high intellectual standards.

You rail against Fox news but make no mention of its equivalents on the other side of the political fence suvh as MSNBC. Hillary's campaign has involved rather extreme measures to protect the chosen one from unpleasant questions from the press,, and the Sunday evening debates surer have been grueling encounters for the candidates.

This is propaganda in a rather pure form and I think you know it.
georgeob1

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 10:44 am
@blatham,
The description you pasted here of a description of some of the attitudes of some/msny so-called working class Americans by a National Review persaon appears to be accurate to a substantial degree, Do you deny that? I don't think it represents the main preoccupation of the the majority of Americans, but it certainly is true to a substantial degree. It likely represents resentments arising from fundamental changes in our economy and resentment of some actions of an increasingly intrusive government. This is nothing new in American politics and both political parties have sought to tap this and analogous attitudes amonvg voters for a very long time.

You appear to be suggesting that in writing this the National Review is engaging in a facsist conspiracy. Isn't that just a little paranoid?

How well do you believe the current Administration has done in promoting "citizen-representative government" giving the distain the President has shown for the House of Representatives, and Harry Reid's long track record of refusing to being pending legislation, including Federral Budgets, to a vote in the Senate ??

You've long used the phrase "movement conservatism". The extra word appears to add overtones of conspiracy the the word, but really doesn't add any meaning or information. Movement Progressive sounds equally ponderous and is equally silly. Why don't you use that too?? Certainly in your relentless pursuit of intellectual rigor you should at least consider it.

Do you really believe that in writing this stuff you are engaging in any kind of serious analysis or even conversation???
blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 12:45 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Do you really believe this is a behavior exclusive to Republicans?? Really??

No. And I did not make that claim. Both parties and candidates will try to put in some controls on media encounters. For example, both parties got together and wrested control of the presidential debates from the League of Women Voters for this precise reason.

But here, as so often, you reach for the equivalence formulation. And in this, you are very lazy. You confess openly that you are unstudied in media. You don't watch cable news, you've said. You don't attend to Limbaugh, you've said (though your son is a fan). You read little mainstream media, you've said. You're unfamiliar with left-leaning media, you've said. Why on earth would I grant your pronouncements about media content and behavior to have merit?

And you again toss out the term "propaganda" to describe what I write here. "Pure" propaganda. I suppose that is to be contrasted by "diluted" propaganda? I do find your use interesting, george. This is another subject you have not studied nearly as deeply as I have (go ahead and moan if you like but that sentence is true). I've taken the time to specify my definition of it here. You will not. I presume you deem what I write as propaganda because what I write is directed mainly towards right wing phenomena, mostly quite negative, and because I write a lot. So it must seem like a flood of biased crapola to you. But precisely because you are unstudied in these things, I'm usually unmoved by your criticism. If there was a right wing voice here who'd actually put in the time, over years, to study and analyze media or left wing behaviors with care, that would be a fine thing. But there is no such individual.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 01:05 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The description you pasted here of a description of some of the attitudes of some/msny so-called working class Americans by a National Review persaon appears to be accurate to a substantial degree, Do you deny that? I don't think it represents the main preoccupation of the the majority of Americans, but it certainly is true to a substantial degree.

Yes, I buy that.
Quote:
It likely represents resentments arising from fundamental changes in our economy and resentment of some actions of an increasingly intrusive government.

The first half, yes. The second half, no, other than as regards how conservatives have come to think of things. There is however a corollary complaint of improper intrusion which arises from state entities, for example, forcing pregnant women to be subjected to vaginal probes so as to encourage them to reject abortion, or seeking to criminalize homosexual acts, or trying to criminalize shops that sell sex toys, or forcing the teaching of creation science in schools, etc.

Quote:
You appear to be suggesting that in writing this the National Review is engaging in a facsist conspiracy. Isn't that just a little paranoid?

Not even close. The indictment was to the complicity of the National Review and talk radio and other right wing media entities, and the GOP itself, in forwarding a narrative about government - that it is the people's fundamental enemy and the fundamental source of coercion. If that is held to be so, if one axiomatically rules out the legitimacy of citizen-representative government, then where else does one turn for social organization initiatives? You are inevitably left with two options: 1) the pretense of democracy or 2) reliance on some fascist or totalitarian authority.

Quote:
How well do you believe the current Administration has done in promoting "citizen-representative government" giving the distain the President has shown for the House of Representatives,

Are you not aware of the meeting held by senior GOP and conservative reps on the evening of Obama's inauguration and what was decided in that meeting? Please answer that question.

Quote:
You've long used the phrase "movement conservatism".

Again, you are not paying attention. Read through some of those NRO pieces and you will find this phrase repeated again and again by conservatives as self-description.
Quote:
Do you really believe that in writing this stuff you are engaging in any kind of serious analysis or even conversation???

Serious analysis? Oh yes. Conversation? Not nearly often enough. But think for a moment of the time I've just spent here with you on two posts.
cicerone imposter

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 01:29 pm
@blatham,
You're spot on. Why people ignore the statement, "we're going to make Obama a one term president" still rings in my ears. Trump's promise to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico sounds like it' s coming from a fascist.
blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 01:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That was McConnell and it was a bit later on the timeline. But the strategy was discussed and settled on in that first meeting I referred to.

McConnell also said, about the same time as your quote, that Republicans would reject and oppose what Obama was doing so as to provide a clear differentiation between the two parties.
0 Replies

pcpic

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 02:08 pm
http://cowboybytewpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Hillary-Clinton-in-Prison-2016-800x641.jpg
edgarblythe

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:39 pm
Wall Street is Hosting Huge Fundraisers for Hillary Clinton Just Before Iowa

But don't be concerned. She will fight Wall Street tooth and nail (by increments so tiny you will rarely see any)
blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:04 pm
@pcpic,
This dude goes on ignore real fast.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not that I mean to dampen your enthusiasm. I too consider that big Wall St and bank money is far, far too determinative of politics but we disagree on remedies.
Quote:
Clinton Holds Wide Lead In National Poll
http://bit.ly/1QAmseu
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:09 pm
Winner of today's "Telling it like it is" category.
Quote:
Bob Gates: GOPers' Nat'l Security Talk Would 'Embarrass A Middle Schooler'

http://bit.ly/1QAmROa
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:19 pm
Golly goodness. Who could possibly have predicted that right wing media (and candidates) would freak out re the Texas Republican prosecutor's decision to indict the Planned Parenthood smear dudes and to clear PP of wrong-doing. This comes as a total shock to me and everyone, I'm sure.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:27 pm
Don't push that panic button. Not yet. Hold off a bit. It's too early. Anything could happen. PUSH IT!
Quote:
With less than a week to go before the first voting, the new Washington Post/ABC News poll shows that Donald Trump continues to grow stronger. He sits high above his GOP rivals, with the support of 37 percent of Republicans and GOP-leaning independents nationally. A majority of Trump supporters say they’ll definitely vote for him. Three out of four Republicans think Trump has the best chance of defeating Hillary Clinton, suggesting many GOP voters are coming to see him as a very plausible standard bearer.

But this one finding from the poll is worth some attention: Trump is absolutely dominating among GOP voters who think immigration weakens
American society.
http://wapo.st/1QApWh7

In the same post, Greg Sargent writes...
Quote:
As David Brooks puts it today, it’s possible that Trump and Cruz “will make each other maximally unattractive and go down in each other’s death embrace.”

It’s certainly possible that this will happen. But our polling chart above shows that enormous majorities of Republican voters who think immigration weakens American society support Trump or Cruz. What happens to these now-unleashed Trumpian sentiments if Trump and Cruz do go down in a mutual death struggle? Where do they go?

Now, that's a really interesting question.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:08 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Quote:
The description you pasted here of a description of some of the attitudes of some/msny so-called working class Americans by a National Review persaon appears to be accurate to a substantial degree, Do you deny that? I don't think it represents the main preoccupation of the the majority of Americans, but it certainly is true to a substantial degree.

Yes, I buy that.
Quote:
It likely represents resentments arising from fundamental changes in our economy and resentment of some actions of an increasingly intrusive government.

The first half, yes. The second half, no, other than as regards how conservatives have come to think of things. There is however a corollary complaint of improper intrusion which arises from state entities, for example, forcing pregnant women to be subjected to vaginal probes so as to encourage them to reject abortion, or seeking to criminalize homosexual acts, or trying to criminalize shops that sell sex toys, or forcing the teaching of creation science in schools, etc.

I believe this is an example of the perhaps unintended bias that colors your arguments. It is a safe bet that most Americans are annoyed by some resented intrusions on the part of the government. Exactly what they are depends a lot on the perspective of the individuals involved.You have provided a list of intrusions that annoy you and likely many others of similar perspective. However there are others including; requirements to buy health insurance policies covering abortions; limiting access to high deductable health insurance policies to those who would otherwise choose them; sometimes insidious but growing limitations on free speech and the exercise of religious freedom; increasing complexities in the tax code and rising levels of taxation; and the growing government bureaucratic - administrative role in governing our lives ; etc. that would annoy others. It is likely true that these and like issues are indeed a part of the discontent to which the NR writer in question was referring. That such discontent on such matters exists is beyond doubt. It does not encompass the entire universe of public discontent, as you have noted, but that fact does not invalidate what the writer was referring to. It appears to me that you are basically saying that things you don't agree with don't exist or have any validity. That is a kind of solipsism
blatham wrote:
Quote:

Not even close. The indictment was to the complicity of the National Review and talk radio and other right wing media entities, and the GOP itself, in forwarding a narrative about government - that it is the people's fundamental enemy and the fundamental source of coercion. If that is held to be so, if one axiomatically rules out the legitimacy of citizen-representative government, then where else does one turn for social organization initiatives? You are inevitably left with two options: 1) the pretense of democracy or 2) reliance on some fascist or totalitarian authority.
Here you clearly reveal your bias. I don't believe the framers of our constitution had "social organization initiatives" in mind when they wrote our constitution. Indeed their focus appeared to be much more on the preservation of individual freedoms and the stipulation of limitations to the power of the Federal government they were creating.

Moreover, what in our constitution or tradition prevents either conservatives or progressives from organizing coalitions of political parties, social organizations and even media outlets to advance their views? I believe that is called freedom of speech and expression. My strong impression is that both progressives and conservatives do that about equally - as is their right, though it appears that it is only the conservative actions in this area that you see as dangerous. Do you consider that to be an objective and rigorously dispassionate intellectual stance? I don't.

baltham wrote:
Quote:
How well do you believe the current Administration has done in promoting "citizen-representative government" giving the distain the President has shown for the House of Representatives,

Are you not aware of the meeting held by senior GOP and conservative reps on the evening of Obama's inauguration and what was decided in that meeting? Please answer that question.

I recall reading of meetings at which plans were discussed to defeat key elements of the President's political/legislative agenda. Certainly not a cooperative effort, but not an uncommon thing in legislative politics. Were you at the meeting?
If your point here is unilateral opposition, then I think you should consider the equally unilateral behavior of the President and the Democrat majority in Congress during Obama's first term, and Harry Reid's behavior as Majority Leader in the Senate for the first six years.

If "movement conservatism" is indeed a term used by NR then I retract my objection. It is a pretentious phrase in any case.

Your apparently deep interest in contemporary political analysis and commentary is commendable and not for me to judge. While that may well make you an expert on what is being discussed and debated, it doesn't particularly relate to historical trends, or economic & political analysis from a larger perspective, all of which require other sources: you have no basis on which to claim excluisive understanting in those areas just from that. Indeed much of what you write is very one-sided and involves ascribing common, almost universal untoward behaviors exclusively to those you oppose, and the projection of dark conspiracy on their ordinary actions .... all a bit Joe McCarthyesque in my view.
parados

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:25 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
However there are others including; requirements to buy health insurance policies covering abortions; limiting access to high deductable health insurance policies to those who would otherwise choose them; sometimes insidious but growing limitations on free speech and the exercise of religious freedom; increasing complexities in the tax code and rising levels of taxation; and the growing government bureaucratic - administrative role in governing our lives ; etc. that would annoy others.

1. To my knowledge there is no requirement to purchase health insurance covering abortions. There was an argument made that birth control is abortion but that doesn't make it abortion nor does it require someone to purchase health insurance covering abortions.
2. There is no more limit to high deductible health insurance policies than there was 10 years ago other than some inflation adjustments. Unless you are talking about policies that were fraudulent and didn't cover anything while claiming to be high deductible.
3.What limitations on speech and religion? Is it a problem when religion can't force their beliefs on others? That seems the opposite of intrusion into your life.
4. Complexities in the tax code increase under both parties. Usually as a result of giving tax breaks to favored constituencies hidden in that complexity.
5. Where is there a growing government in administering your life?

I would say things you claim to exist don't really seem to have the substance you claim.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 06:53 pm
@georgeob1,
Sheesh. Now I'm McCarthyish. But you've taken your time with that post. Thanks.
Quote:
It appears to me that you are basically saying that things you don't agree with don't exist or have any validity

Protests against some government initiative self-evidently tells us a disagreement exists. Where I or you are protesting, obviously we grant little or no validity to the initiative.

Paying into an insurance scheme that funds abortions is hardly equal in terms of incursion into citizens' private and personal lives as forcing women to undergo medically unnecessary vaginal probes or making it illegal (or functionally impossible) for women to receive an abortion if they wish one. That's the difference I point to. To deny women the right to have an abortion is equivalent to forcing women to have an abortion when they don't want one (one child policy).
Quote:
growing limitations on free speech and the exercise of religious freedom

You've bought into the religious right's agitprop and I'm not going to argue this one with you again.
Quote:
I don't believe the framers of our constitution had "social organization initiatives" in mind when they wrote our constitution.

Of course they did. The constitution and bill of rights are exactly that. They are designs around which society was to be organized. Three co-equal branches, balancing each other, is very exactly a construction of social organization (based on Enlightenment understandings of how prior systems had come up short). Humans are social animals and always organize themselves. Very often, that organization is built on domination and cruelty, and on exclusion and maintenance of power through force. Equality is the very last thing desired. The notion forwarded that 'all men are created equal' is exactly and precisely a notion or value forwarded to engineer how the future American society ought run.
Quote:
Moreover, what in our constitution or tradition prevents either conservatives or progressives from organizing coalitions of political parties, social organizations and even media outlets to advance their views? I believe that is called freedom of speech and expression. My strong impression is that both progressives and conservatives do that about equally - as is their right, though it appears that it is only the conservative actions in this area that you see as dangerous. Do you consider that to be an objective and rigorously dispassionate intellectual stance?

Thus you'd be fine if the American Communist Party was resurgent and growing in popularity? Of if the White Supremacist Movement registered as a political party and put up representatives in all states and at the federal level? Or perhaps a New American Nazi Party? Freedom of speech and association and all that. I'd guess not. But why not? Or perhaps you might say, "go ahead, boys, organize" but then you'd fight the bastards. You and I don't share notions of what the Republican Party in the US has become. So you'll behave as you do and I will behave as I do.

The meeting in question was written up by Robert Draper in his book and was widely reported (lots you can find on the internet including interviews with participants like Gingrich). The over-arching goal decided upon was unrelenting and coordinated opposition to everything Obama would set out to achieve. So when you, or anyone else on the right, repeats the claim that Obama wouldn't talk to Republicans or wouldn't cooperate with them (a necessary cover story, of course - and propaganda because it was designed to deceive citizens), I just shut you off as no-nothings.

Was I in the room, you ask. Sleazy, george. You and I are never in those rooms. That's why we have to put in the time studying the reporting and accounts. You didn't much bother (big surprise) but I did.
blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:11 pm
Here's a good tip from Ed Kilgore...
Quote:
So what is a political junkie to do when it comes to understanding the dynamics or (shudder) making a prediction? Fortunately, there's one easy answer: Wait until the Des Moines Register and Bloomberg release their final Iowa poll at some point (or two points, since the Democratic and Republican results are usually released in successive days) this weekend.

The poll, produced by the Iowa-based firm of Selzer & Company, is one that inspires almost universal respect. Ann Selzer's firm is one of just three (out of hundreds) awarded an A-plus grade by Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight site in its comprehensive pollster ratings. Its Iowa polling has been especially impressive, picking up such difficult-to-identify phenomena as the order of finish in the fast-changing 2004 Democratic caucuses, the Santorum surge in the 2012 Republican caucuses, and the size of Joni Ernst's 2014 Senate win.
http://nym.ag/1QqZCUH
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:24 pm
Paul Waldman does quality snark
Quote:
Trump probably won Falwell over when he told him that he thinks Jesus was a high-quality person, really top-notch, I mean it’s incredible what a good guy that Jesus was.
http://wapo.st/1Qr04m0

And this is yuge.
Quote:
Sheriff Joe [Arpaio] heads to Iowa to endorse Trump
http://bit.ly/1Qr0cSB
roger

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:32 pm
@blatham,
First Palin and now Arpaigo. Who next, a resurrected Joe McCarthy?