When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Lash

Sun 27 Dec, 2015 01:01 pm
@snood,
Bernie asked Hillary during the debate if she would cooperate with an investigation of all possible breaches, and now that the cameras are off, she's stonewalling. Why?
snood

Sun 27 Dec, 2015 02:22 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Bernie asked Hillary during the debate if she would cooperate with an investigation of all possible breaches, and now that the cameras are off, she's stonewalling. Why?

Due respect, but not convinced she is. You'll understand my reticence to take your word or reports from dubious sources for things that paint Hillary negatively. Perhaps if your comments ever had ANY remotely positive things about her, your opinion could raise less skepticism.
0 Replies

Blickers

Sun 27 Dec, 2015 03:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote ehBeth:
Quote:
I've long held that Hillary was/is the brains in the Clinton duo, and she should have been the first /only Clinton president.

Well, Bill Clinton's two terms were pretty good, I wouldn't mind a replay and neither would most of the country. If Hillary really is the brains of the pair, all the better if she makes the White House.
0 Replies

Blickers

Sun 27 Dec, 2015 03:39 pm
@snood,
Quote snood:
Quote:
Just so everyone's clear about what the Sanders advisers are intimating (not even alleging, just throwing **** to see if it sticks); they are suggesting that the main guy on their team that got caught pilfering Clinton's data was a "plant" by Hillary

So glad you cleared that up because the crap that Republicans always act like everyone should be apoplectic about, (Emails, Email servers, IRS exemptions, etc) I can never understand why anybody gives a damn.
0 Replies

revelette2

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 09:46 am
What I hope more than anything the following article does not prove prophetic and Bernie supporters actually sit out the election if their guy does not get the nomination out of the some perceived belief in biasedness on the part of the DNC. Even if the biasness has truth to it in facts, I hope they can rise above it for the greater good so history does not repeat itself in a bad way.

Quote:
In many respects it is the same election. Then, and now, the election of the heir apparent would usher in what is perceived as a "third Clinton term." Then, and now, the left is distrustful of the frontrunner because of President Clinton's "New Democratic" policies of NAFTA, welfare reform and the repeal of Glass-Steagall. In 2000, a sufficient number on the left defected to other candidates or stayed home to cost Gore the election, with catastrophic consequences including the War in Iraq, an economic collapse, two new conservative Supreme Court Justices and decisions like Citizens United.

DNC Must Heed Warning Bells From 2000

In the real world, sometimes you just got to think of the greater evil. Is it too late for the DNC to make amends so the democrats and "progressives" from Bernie supporters can win the election and keep the above from happening? If it is too late or if the DNC refuse to change in any significant way, can Bernie supporters be made to see the seriousness of their actions in the way they vote?

blatham

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:31 am
@revelette2,
From your link
Quote:
I am seeing numerous posts by Sanders supporters threatening to refuse to vote for Clinton should she be the nominee

As if that is some unusual phenomenon.

Bernie will almost certainly lose. And when he does, he will celebrate Hillary's win and passionately encourage his supporters to back her with as much passion as they had for him. That's how things normally proceed but in this election with the stakes everyone is aware of, particularly Sanders himself, he won't be lying or just polite when he gives that speech.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:32 am
@revelette2,
I'm a Bernie supporter and we are not all the same. I will vote for Hillary if she is the nominee. I might even vote for her in the primary to slightly pump the vote count, plus that I'm not so sure that as much as I agree with him on many matters and think negatively of the tricky Hillary persona, that I still think his being president would work. I'm also not clear that it can't, so I'm undecided today.

He might be best as the Stalwart Leader for the dem opposition to a dem president.. some of the time, as in still speaking up on occasion.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:37 am
Somewhat OT

Wonkette tweets a fine question...
"How Many Mosques Did You Burn For Jesus' Birthday?"
blatham

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:47 am
Clinton's candidacy looks pretty strong and durable to me. Consider, for example, the high-profile individuals who have spoken generously of her as a person and as a national political figure...

Quote:
Less than a decade ago, Donald Trump could be spotted on TV or in print gushing over Hillary Clinton. He publicly praised her health care plan (it had an individual mandate). He said he liked Clinton and her husband “very much.” He said she would do a good job negotiating with Iran.
During the heat of the 2008 campaign, Trump took to his own blog to praise Clinton, writing that she’d make a great president.
“Hillary Clinton said she’d consider naming Barack Obama as her vice-president when she gets the nomination, but she’s nowhere near a shoo-in,” wrote The Donald about the heated Democratic primary in 2008. “For his part, Obama said he’s just focused on winning the nomination, although at least one member of his team said Clinton would make a good vice-president. (I know Hillary and I think she’d make a great president or vice-president.)”
http://bzfd.it/1SkSJXl

It's of course true that things were rather saner back then, but still.
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:05 am
@blatham,
Getting involved with politics does funny things to people. Trump is but one example of that.
blatham

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
He has been embiggened by the process.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:32 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Somewhat OT

Wonkette tweets a fine question...
"How Many Mosques Did You Burn For Jesus' Birthday?"

Do effigy's count?
blatham

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:42 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Do effigy's count?

Category error. However, we can suppose intersecting sets if you wish to include instances of Muslim effigies all conflagrated with good Texas gasoline.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:48 am
Typically good reporting by Maggie Haberman on the Sanders/Clinton zilch-burger folks here have been getting all excited about.
http://nyti.ms/1SkZBnz
blatham

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:53 am
And in this campaign season with Hillary running, how important/relevant is Bill's sexual dalliance? Let's turn to folks who are clearly worthy of attending to for the quality of their thinking and for their own meta-level moral compass

Quote:
In 2008, Trump Dismissed Clinton Sex Scandal as ‘Totally Unimportant’

http://bit.ly/1Sl0fBD
(h/t TPM)
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 11:58 am
@blatham,
One doesn't blame the spouse for their 'better' half's 'sins.' Also, you can't blame a person when their siblings commit a crime or a 'sin.'
Each individual deserves to be acknowledged as an individual separate from their family or friends.
blatham

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Your husband messed around and you forgave him? And you don't think that forgiveness reveals you as a moral hazard to everyone involved with you in the future?

It's such a stoopid argument but it was 100% certain we'd see it.
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:17 pm
@blatham,
I thought we met, but that was a mistake. My spouse is a woman.
Blickers

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
In a perfect world, you're right. In the real world, if someone has a close association with someone, unless they go to lengths to distance themselves, they are lumped together. The problem with the GOP trying to tie Hillary to Bill is that Bill is probably the most popular politician in the country, that's why the Democrats feature him so prominently during their conventions. Bill Clinton is a powerful campaign weapon for the Democrats.

Among committed Republicans, Bill's name is mud, but they aren't voting Democratic under any circumstances, so from the viewpoint of the Democrats winning the election, who cares?
0 Replies

snood

Tue 29 Dec, 2015 12:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I thought we met, but that was a mistake. My spouse is a woman.

huh? He wasn't referring to your spouse - he was referring to Bill Clinton and the bogus argument the GOP was bound to make. Or was that dry humor on your part that missed me?