When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

RABEL222

Mon 23 Nov, 2015 11:03 am
@snood,
Weve got to find some way to spend that 5 or 6 billion dollars the two parties generate. What better way than to have a 16 month election. And I so enjoy all the tv lies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 23 Nov, 2015 11:05 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

just north of you, we had our longest election period in our entire history, 76 days from the election being called to voting day

and people are still complaining about how long the election ran this time Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 23 Nov, 2015 01:51 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

just north of you, we had our longest election period in our entire history, 76 days from the election being called to voting day, of course we already knew who the leaders were

Do you people have a national election....or do you still have a parliament...where the elections are just for districts...and then the majority party (or a coalition) selects the leaders?

Just want to compare apples with apples...rather than apples with tangerines.

Our local elections often take 60 days or less.
snood

Mon 23 Nov, 2015 05:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

just north of you, we had our longest election period in our entire history, 76 days from the election being called to voting day, of course we already knew who the leaders were

Do you people have a national election....or do you still have a parliament...where the elections are just for districts...and then the majority party (or a coalition) selects the leaders?

Just want to compare apples with apples...rather than apples with tangerines.

Our local elections often take 60 days or less.

But you don't dispute that this American way of years-long speculation driven by muckracking media that we call a national election is perverse and self defeating?
georgeob1

Mon 23 Nov, 2015 06:03 pm
@snood,
Our system has its chronic defects. Parliamentary systems have theirs too, invluding weak coalition governments and sometimes chronic instability. The historical record is mixed, but so far at least our system has served us well for a lot longer than have most pariamentary systems have done in other countries.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 23 Nov, 2015 06:56 pm
I suppose there's a valid enough argument to be made that the mere fact of a thing's outliving other similar things speaks to intrinsic merit or value of that thing.

But there's an at least equally valid counter. Simply because something continues to exist doesn't make it good. See cockroaches and certain strains of viral infection.

My opinion is that the American way of national election is bloated with a hundred corrupt concerns (mostly related to trying to milk the process from nose to tail for every media or corporate penny) that have nothing to do with the Democratic selection of people's choice for best leader.
georgeob1

Mon 23 Nov, 2015 07:30 pm
@snood,
One could also level that accusation against the various groups that identify themselves as rightful beneficiaries of government benefits. The relevant attributes of human nature are the same in both cases. The corporate colalition working to preserve import restrictions on raw sugar to maintain higher than market prices for domestic producers are no different from labor unions lobbying for government enforcement of their monopolies on labor in certain industries or social security recipiants lobbying for higher benefits or relaxed standards for qualifying for disability payments; or college students lobbying for free tuition; etc. The bigger the government gets and the more it intrudes on the private economy the more this stuff will grow. Parliamentaary government hasn't done anything notable to reduce this stuff in Greece, France or a host of other governments.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 24 Nov, 2015 05:40 am
@snood,
Not at all, Snood. I despise the fact that it starts as early as it does...and I wish there were a way to stop it.

I think the nonsense of allowing Iowa to be "first" and New Hampshire "second" ought to be squelched by the major parties themselves.
revelette2

Tue 24 Nov, 2015 06:39 am
One good think about our long elections is that it allows many temporary craze phases to fade out.
Brand X

Tue 24 Nov, 2015 06:43 am
@revelette2,
Yep, the more obscure candidates need time to be exposed to our country of 300+ million and have ample time to implode or succeed. Especially when there are so many running.
snood

Tue 24 Nov, 2015 07:58 am
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

Yep, the more obscure candidates need time to be exposed to our country of 300+ million and have ample time to implode or succeed. Especially when there are so many running.

I can understand that. It does take a little time to expose whackadoos or flesh out unknowns. But the ridiculous speculation and tabloid-style "news analyst" crap that starts basically the day after a president is elected and lasts four years doesn't involve the whacky or the unknown candidates. It's all about likely candidates, and they start the harangue about who's most likely right away, and they do it every fricking day until the next election.

They only pause long enough to cover international disasters, then they're right back at it.
Lash

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 09:12 am
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7816280?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&section=politics
Maybe now....? Wink
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 09:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
The people, acting through their stste governments make decisions about elections, not political parties.

It is sadly bemusing to note these Freudian slips acknowkedging their basic authoritarianism on the part of self-styled "progressives". Perhaps Frank would prefer that we just crown Hillary and get on with it.

In case you ever wondered if the slaves really do learn to love their chains.
snood

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 10:01 am
This is where I stand after all, and until any major change in the players:
I will cast my vote for Bernie in the primary. I will support whoever is the Democratic nominee.
Frank Apisa

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 12:18 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

The people, acting through their stste governments make decisions about elections, not political parties.

Yeah...and the states can decide whether slavery will be allowed...or whether women can vote.

Wake up, George. You are much more intelligent than that.

The federal government can set a date for the General Election. The federal government COULD set a date for the primaries also.

And they should.

Quote:
It is sadly bemusing to note these Freudian slips acknowkedging their basic authoritarianism on the part of self-styled "progressives".

Any Freudian slip you saw...you invented.

Quote:
Perhaps Frank would prefer that we just crown Hillary and get on with it.

In case you ever wondered if the slaves really do learn to love their chains.

As I have said several times...I do not care if Hillary wins the nomination or not. I just do not think Bernie Sanders will be the person beating her if she is not the winner.

I think she will win the nomination and the General Election.

You conservatives sure love to serve your Baron masters, don't ya!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 12:20 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

This is where I stand after all, and until any major change in the players:
I will cast my vote for Bernie in the primary. I will support whoever is the Democratic nominee.

If Bernie Sanders is the winner of the nomination...

...I will ENTHUSIASTICALLY support him.

Same with anyone else who wins the Democratic nomination...and I am not a Democrat.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 12:31 pm
@snood,
Honoring this stand forever.
0 Replies

gekko

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 12:59 pm
@snood,
Quote:
and they do it every fricking day until the next election.

And what else would you talk about?
gekko

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 01:30 pm
Quote:
While the left portrays their agenda items as a fight for equality in a world dominated by phobias and isms, the truth is radically different. It is all about the culmination of political power and the remaking of America. Hillary Clinton wrote her college thesis on Alinsky and called it "There is Only the Fight: An Analysis of the Alinsky Model." What this title means is that the issues are only used to gain attention and that underneath the issue is the larger agenda, which is the revolution.

From the moment the organizer enters a community he lives, dreams, breathes and sleeps only one thing and that is to build the mass power base of what he calls the army. Until he has developed this mass power base he confronts no major issues. Rules For Radicals pp. 113

Quote:
Understanding Alinsky

http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/11/understanding-alinsky/
0 Replies

snood

Wed 25 Nov, 2015 03:05 pm
@gekko,
It doesn't matter as far as you're concerned hawkeye, because if we talked about it here, you'd show up and **** up the discussion.