When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

revelette2

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 10:21 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I agree with you, however to be cynical, if she is constantly required to shift her policies to the left by pressure from the left, in the end we all win if she becomes president. She will probably want to be president for eight years so at least for the first term, she will continue to go by popular sentiment which for some reason seems to be leftist. Which is odd considering how badly we (leftist)) keep doing in these odd election days where no shows up to vote. Besides who else is there who has a chance of winning the general election?
Lash

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 11:36 am
@revelette2,
That would be Bernie Sanders.
snood

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 12:36 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

That would be Bernie Sanders.

There's a scenario under which I would agree with that. If either Trump or Carson won the Republican nomination. There might be enough abject horror at the prospect of one of them as president that it would finally motivate large numbers of Dems to get off their asses and vote.
snood

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 04:43 pm
@snood,
Bernie was recently quoted in an interview with the Boston Globe saying "...on her worst day Hillary Clinton will be an infinitely better candidate and president than the Republican candidate on his best day."

(I'm posting from my phone, so don't know how to post the link)

Is he telling the truth, or just being polite?
hawkeye10

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 04:47 pm
@snood,
Quote:

The D's let him onto their primary, he has to say that no matter what he believes. They also have let him use D establishment fundraising apparatus. He owes the party, and he will honor his commitments.
snood

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 05:05 pm
Is that an instance of saying whatever serves his purposes, regardless of the truth?
hawkeye10

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 05:20 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Is that an instance of saying whatever serves his purposes, regardless of the truth?

You could look at it like that though I dont see the usefulness of that. I would look at this through the prism of power, this is like how people agree to employer drug tests even though they think they should be illegal, or agreeing to let a prospective employer pull your credit report even though that clearly should be illegal. You do what you have to do to survive, we need jobs and we do what we need to do to get jobs, and people (and organizations) that have power over us tend to use it to their will.

Sanders will support Hillary when the times comes, he is not going to trash his legacy of being an honorable man just to screw her. He has had the best grandstands of his life because the D's let him run in this primary, he owes them now. I think the interesting question is going to be how often will Hillary want Sanders to be up on stage with her as she runs in the general. I think I would say none, I would send him out on the trail with Bill.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 05:45 pm
Then again, oh horrors, he might simply be telling the simple truth as he sees it. Anyone honestly assessing it has to at least include that possibility.
hawkeye10

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 05:54 pm
@snood,
could be, but since it does not matter what he thinks the truth is about Hillary's fanny being in the chair instead of an R the whole exercise of trying to figure out what he believes the truth is seems rather pointless.

I get the feeling that you are trying to play gotcha with Sanders supporters, but that it is not working in this case.

Now that said I think based upon the last few months it is very interesting to go back and wonder if his incompetence at politics over the years was because he refused to play the game rather than because he had no skill, which was my take. He is certainly now showing more ability to play this game than his work up till now indicated to me. I have read multiple opinions that he has surprised even himself with his abilities over the last year, but I like almost everyone else have mostly ignored Sanders always. At this point I just dont know.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 06:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

The D's let him onto their primary, he has to say that no matter what he believes. They also have let him use D establishment fundraising apparatus. He owes the party, and he will honor his commitments.

Is that a "yes" or a "no" to Snood's question?
0 Replies

revelette2

Tue 10 Nov, 2015 09:56 am
Poll: Clinton passes Sanders in New Hampshire

Quote:
Hillary Clinton has regained the lead over Bernie Sanders in New Hampshire, site of next year’s first Democratic primary, according to a new poll released Tuesday.

Clinton leads Sanders 48% to 45%, according to the Monmouth University Poll. Sanders, a Vermont senator, held a 7-point lead in the same poll in September when Vice President Biden, Lincoln Chafee and Jim Webb were included. Biden has since announced he would not run, while Webb and Chafee ended their bids.

Clinton’s gains follow last month’s string of positive developments for the former secretary of State’s campaign, including her widely praised debate performance and Biden’s decision.

Sanders, who hails from New Hampshire’s neighboring state, “retains his sizable advantage among registered independents and new voters, men, and younger voters,” according to release from Monmouth about the results. “However, Clinton has made significant gains in the past two months with registered Democrats, women, and older voters.”

Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute in West Long Branch, N.J., cited the women’s vote in particular.

“The Clinton team has recently taken to charging Sanders with sexism over some of his remarks,” he said. “This may be one reason why she has been able to win back women voters in her base.”

I am betting (figuratively) Hillary and Rubio end up going head to head. As for their veeps. who knows. Right now, Rubio is having answer questions of his credit cards misuse.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Marco Rubio is riding a new wave of momentum as he prepares for Tuesday’s GOP presidential debate, with rising poll numbers and fresh endorsements from fellow senators. But he also faces increased scrutiny for his use of a Republican Party-issued charge card during his time as a Florida state legislator.

The debate in Milwaukee offers Rubio, now solidly in third place behind front-runners Donald Trump and Ben Carson, another chance to showcase the debating skills that have helped propel him upward in the polls.

His rivals will work to sideline those skills by focusing attention on the personal goods and services the Florida senator bought between 2005 and 2008 with an American Express card issued to him by the Republican Party of Florida.

source
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Nov, 2015 01:42 pm
I'm waiting until there's a primary before I take the polls too seriously this year. I don't know anyone who claims to be for tRump that when you get him alone with a glass of bourbon or a joint and a beer won't admit he really couldn't vote for the Donald when it comes down to it.

I think if Jeb can hold on for three or four primaries, he's facing Hilary Clinton in the election with one of the lowest turnouts ever.
Lash

Tue 10 Nov, 2015 05:44 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Rubio and Sanders with the highest ever turnout.
Lash

Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:33 pm
Regardless of what Bernie thinks, there is a Bernie outgrowth who has decided they will not vote for HRC under any circumstances - and I'm obviously mulling the same thing.

They think that the D party has gone too right and if the Dems have to watch their party split and lose an election, the Progressives will hold sway against the Corporates in the next cycle.

Interesting.
hawkeye10

Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:39 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Regardless of what Bernie thinks, there is a Bernie outgrowth who has decided they will not vote for HRC under any circumstances - and I'm obviously mulling the same thing.

TRUMP VOTERS.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:52 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

They think that the D party has gone too right and if the Dems have to watch their party split and lose an election, the Progressives will hold sway against the Corporates in the next cycle.

But that is clearly not true (and significantly lacking in logic). The Democrats are further left than they were eight years ago. If they lose, they will move right. The losers will move in the direction of the winners if they want to win next time.
hawkeye10

Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:56 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
The Democrats are further left than they were eight years ago

And much further out of power across this nation.

Is there a connection?

Maybe.
Lash

Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:59 pm
@engineer,
Although I generally give credence to most of your opinions because they seem thought-out and measured, I don't think you're correct on this issue.

The establishment Democrats have moved FAR right since Clinton. I know you guys say HRC has voted close to Bernie, but people who watch the facts as they happen know HRC (and Obama) have expressed a LOT of conservative rhetoric and put energy behind corporate and conservative policies.

Bernie is in a different universe from HRC.

If the Progressives are willing to split from the establishment Dems - and they lose to the GOP, I'm betting the establishments will either shift left so this ******* country HAS a left - or they will just start voting what they really are - Republicans.

This country needs a legit left.

What I am hearing, seeing, and FEELING is that we will carve out a party with or without the establishment conservative so-called Democrat party.

They will never win again without the Progressives.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Nov, 2015 08:01 pm
Al Gore DECLINES To Endorse Hillary Clinton for President

"...In his careful and precise manner, Gore said: "I have taken no steps whatsoever in the direction of a candidacy and my answer has been the same for 10 years now – or more – and you probably heard my answer before: I'm a recovering politician and the longer I go without a relapse, the less likely one becomes..."

If Hillary Clinton is counting on an endorsement from her husband's former vice president, she'll have to wait for it. Al Gore, who served two terms with former President Bill Clinton, politely but firmly declined when PEOPLE asked him if he supports Hillary Clinton for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination.

"It's still too early, in my opinion, to endorse a candidate or pick a candidate," Gore told PEOPLE in an interview to preview his 24-hour climate-change telethon, which starts on Friday.

"Everybody can look at how the presidential campaign is developing and get some pretty clear ideas about how they think it's going to turn out, but I still think it's premature," Gore said. "The election is still a full year away. I think I'll wait to wade into it."

http://www.people.com/article/al-gore-declines-endorse-hillary-clinton-2016
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 11 Nov, 2015 08:39 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
And much further out of power across this nation.

The cause is low democratic voter turn out, we cause our own troubles. I got a letter from the Obama staff reminding democrats what is at stake in 2016 and be sure to support your candidate and vote. I hope the Hillary and the Bernie camp really stress the importance of voting along with their pitches to being president. Democrat voters need a couple of kicks in the pants. It is not enough to answer polls when they call or online, you got to move and get out and actually vote.