The difference between a liberal and a conservative

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:54 am
So, we've established that teaching everyone to fish could cause over-fishing. Well, it would if the subsidies given to the big fishing industries didn't get there first...in any case, no fish for anyone after a couple of years.

Moon rocks are up for grabs, which is convenient as the Cheesemakers are blessed and EVERYBODY KNOWS THE MOON IS MADE OF CHEESE!

The question of colonisation now raises its ugly head. As the USA planted its flag there, is the moon really the 51st state and therefore all cheese gathered from it (under its new brand "Moon Rock" - now available in new "Blue Moon" flavour) is subject to the licencing laws of the Federal government?

If so, Halliburton stands to make a lot of money out of it and we could be mooned by Rumsfeld, evey time we feel like a grilled sandwich.

Is that a metatoofar? Laughing

KP
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:58 am
Smile Do you suppose big business will set up camp there to avoid taxes? Probably the mooncheese will be heavily subsidized, too, so that poor old Halliburton can offset their costs of the flights back and forth. I'd say we've given that company too many fish!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:46 pm
Sorry c.i., they do not work for me either, hmm. Well the point I was trying to make is that it seems that both side of this discussion play fast and loose with the terms liberal and conservative.

There is a lot of middle ground. And my point is that the far right as defined by Marx is fascism and the far left communism. I will try again to find the line of Marxism's.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 03:20 pm
In a democracy (democratic republic) where capitalism rules the economy, the far right or far left has a different connotation. I think most people understand the difference between communism and fascism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 03:43 pm
You slay me KP . . .
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:25 pm
Re: The difference between a liberal and a conservative
mysteryman wrote:
In a nutshell,the difference can be described by the old saying..."give a man a fish,and he will eat for a day,teach him to fish and he will eat EVERY day"

In my opinion,that describes the biggest difference between the two ideologies.
A liberal seems happy with giving a man a fish and saying"see,I care.I fed you today",knowing that the man will have to return tomorrow for another fish.That man is dependent on the liberal to provide the fish,and the Liberal is happy,believing he is helping solve the problem.

A conservative,on the other hand,will give the man the fish,while at the same time teaching him to fish.
That way,the man can feed himself,and doesnt need anyone to provide for him.Once he learns to fish,a conservative will stop giving him fish,therefore the man is on his own.
As a conservative,I believe compassion is getting people off welfare,so they can provide for themselves.
Compassion is not determined by the number of people on welfare,but by the number of people that no longer need it.
So,the more people fishing for themselves,the better.
IMHO,the liberals look at it the other way around.

Dude, that was, like, deep.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:29 pm
wasted irony . . .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:38 pm
Not only wasted, but unrealistic. Show me when a conservative has given the fish to a needy, then taught him/her how to fish.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 11:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
wasted irony . . .

Which of the many instances of irony are you referring to?
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 12:09 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Not only wasted, but unrealistic. Show me when a conservative has given the fish to a needy, then taught him/her how to fish.

One of the more notable - and dare I say ironic - results of Republican 'teach a man to fish' ideology: Osama Bin Laden.

http://free-stock-photos.com/history/pics/osama-1.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 01:24 am
No piccy, ILZ...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:16 am
Osama bin Laden dlowan.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:07 am
kitchenpete wrote:
So, we've established that teaching everyone to fish could cause over-fishing. Well, it would if the subsidies given to the big fishing industries didn't get there first...in any case, no fish for anyone after a couple of years.

Moon rocks are up for grabs, which is convenient as the Cheesemakers are blessed and EVERYBODY KNOWS THE MOON IS MADE OF CHEESE!

The question of colonisation now raises its ugly head. As the USA planted its flag there, is the moon really the 51st state and therefore all cheese gathered from it (under its new brand "Moon Rock" - now available in new "Blue Moon" flavour) is subject to the licencing laws of the Federal government?

If so, Halliburton stands to make a lot of money out of it and we could be mooned by Rumsfeld, evey time we feel like a grilled sandwich.

Is that a metatoofar? Laughing

KP

Man, that was funny. I believe that the Bush administration actually plans to introduce "Blue Angel" moon cheese, which will not affect the American god-fearing types, who believe in angels, but would set godless enemies on fire.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:39 am
IronLionZion wrote:
Setanta wrote:
wasted irony . . .

Good, point, Boss . . . we all spin our wheels in attempting to use that device to elucidate our points to many of our fellow posters here . . .
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:50 am
Cav

Blue Angel makes me think of Marlene Dietrich:

http://www.filmforum.com/blueangel/blue_angel_prod4.jpg

Well, she did defect to the USA and work against the Nazis, so she's clearly on the side of all things good! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:02 am
Nice gams, anyway . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 09:45 am
The lady in the scarf was the founder of the Teamsters
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 09:52 am
KP, a fine movie indeed. I don't know what the Brits call them, but here, blue angels are when you hold a lit match up to your ass and fart into into the flame. It makes a lovely blue gas trail. Blue angel moon cheese seemed an appropriate analogy for US foreign policy in my warped mind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 09:54 am
blatham wrote:
The lady in the scarf was the founder of the Teamsters

Oh yeah? I had thought that was Jimmy Hoffa in drag . . . note the resemblance . . .
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 10:05 am
Setanta wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:
Setanta wrote:
wasted irony . . .

Good, point, Boss . . . we all spin our wheels in attempting to use that device to elucidate our points to many of our fellow posters here . . .

Additionally, die.
0 Replies