The difference between a liberal and a conservative

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:49 pm
This is positively the most ridiculous argument I've seen on A2K yet. The very idea that either conservatives or liberals would give anybody a fish or teach anybody to fish is absurd.

According to the conservatives, the liberals have declared every fish on the planet as an endangered species not to be touched. According to the liberals, the conservatives are hellbent determined to kill off all the fish (and all other non-human living things) with their environmental policies.

So. No fish. How about giving moon rocks?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:26 pm
Oh and re education spending? Looks like every Bush budget has allocated considerably more for education than any year of Clinton's reign - overall up 58% over the Clinton administration.

Kerry is also going around saying Bush cut Veteran's benefits when in fact these are up 28%.

http://factcheck.org/
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:29 pm
I am no conservative or liberal, but I do wish the French would stop fishing in our Canadian waters. Just thought I'd add to the absurdity once again.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:37 am
Well, whaddaya know?
very good, foxfyre.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:57 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Oh and re education spending? Looks like every Bush budget has allocated considerably more for education than any year of Clinton's reign - overall up 58% over the Clinton administration.

But you just said that you believe the federal government shouldn't play a role in education funding. So wouldn't this be a bad thing?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:10 am
Foxfyre wrote:
This is positively the most ridiculous argument I've seen on A2K yet. The very idea that either conservatives or liberals would give anybody a fish or teach anybody to fish is absurd.

Yeah, those darned metaphors sure are confusing.

GREGORY: What was that?

JESUS: ...for their possession. How blest are those...

MR. CHEEKY: I don't know. I was too busy talking to Big Nose.

JESUS: ...who hunger and thirst to see...

MAN #1: I think it was 'Blessed are the cheesemakers.'

JESUS: ...right prevail.

MRS. GREGORY: Ahh, what's so special about the cheesemakers?

GREGORY: Well, obviously, this is not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/inlines/02_argue.jpg
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Yeah, those darned metaphors sure are confusing.

GREGORY: What was that?

JESUS: ...for their possession. How blest are those...

MR. CHEEKY: I don't know. I was too busy talking to Big Nose.

JESUS: ...who hunger and thirst to see...

MAN #1: I think it was 'Blessed are the cheesemakers.'

JESUS: ...right prevail.

MRS. GREGORY: Ahh, what's so special about the cheesemakers?

GREGORY: Well, obviously, this is not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/inlines/02_argue.jpg

That may be true, but Cheeses of Nazareth is still top dog for fine dairy products in my book. It's something about their Tete de Moine...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:35 am
Ronald McDonald wrote:
I am no conservative or liberal, but I do wish the French would stop fishing in our Canadian waters. Just thought I'd add to the absurdity once again.

Blame it on the "Quebecans", I would say.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:40 am
Quebecans? Now that is absurd indeed. They prefer to be called 'Peppers'. <I sincerely hope you never go to Quebec and use that term> Laughing Plus, it is the real French who fish our waters.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:48 am
Everybody knows the people in Quebec are actually French spies.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:11 am
Joe wrote:
Quote:
But you just said that you believe the federal government shouldn't play a role in education funding. So wouldn't this be a bad thing

Yeah I think its a bad thing. I would like to see the Dept of Education abolished. I think a staff member or two could probably come up with a reasonable minimum standard for what a highschool graduate should know to have a diploma and Congress could sign off on that. (The states could raise that bar if they wanted to, and the Universities would no doubt raise that bar for their entrance requirements.) But leave the money in the states to take care of their own schools.

And back to those fish. Should the federal government have a role in the administration of fish? There's a tiny silvery minnow that lives in the middle Rio Grande in New Mexico and apparently nowhere else. It is presumed to be an endangered species. The environmentalists think it is more important to protect that fish than the livelihoods of thousands of farmers and workers in related industries who depend on irrigation water downstream. Who should decide the fate of the fish if in fact it can't live if the farmers get the water? The farmers? The state? Or the federal government?

So far as moon rocks go, who owns the moon? Should the Federal government decide who gets to go get them? Or can we citizens build our own spacecraft and help ourselves?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:15 am
You conservatives are gonn ahafta stop with the fishing teaching - the oceans are getting way over-fished.

Could you teach them to - oh, let me think - catch cane toads?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:15 am
Er - or rabbits in Australia?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:16 am
Or - I have it! Blessed are the cheesemakers! Teach them to make fromage!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:18 am
Teach a man to respect a Roo, and all they'll do is visit the zoo. Teach a man to eat a Roo, that's what they'll do, and never go hungry too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:18 am
Is that stretching the metatoofar?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:21 am
I thought that stretching a metatoofar had something to so with theoretical physics.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:22 am
Only in theory.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:23 am
Cheese?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:10 am
Foxfyre wrote:
And back to those fish...

Why can't you let the fish go? Quit hanging onto the fish. We've all moved beyond the fish. You can wrap the fish in yesterday's newspapers. We are so over the fish.
0 Replies