The difference between a liberal and a conservative

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:09 am
McG, No, the government provided us with a safety net that provided us with food and shelter - for which we are very thankful, and want other children to have the same (or better) who through no fault of their own can be provided for until they can fend for themselves. If conservatives controlled all of government, very little to none of these safety nets would be available. That's the reason I am no longer a conservative/republican, because all they want to do is keep everything (or most of it) for themselves. I believe in sharing and humanity over money - especially when we have more than enough to live comfortably.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:17 am
I'm sorry you believe that C.I.

It is my opinion that conservatives want to do away with welfare and public assisstance as a lifestyle, not as a safety net.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:46 am
McGentrix wrote:
It is my opinion that conservatives want to do away with welfare and public assisstance as a lifestyle, not as a safety net.

Yeah, I know whatcha' mean. Doncha' just hate it when the other side unfairly mischaracterizes your position?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:58 am
joefromchicago wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Yeah, I know whatcha' mean. Doncha' just hate it when the other side unfairly mischaracterizes your position?

Nope. I expect it. It's easy enough to correct mischaracterizations by simply pointing out the truth.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:18 pm
What conservative policies are aimed at teaching a man how to fish?
Seems as though what they really want to do is "cut bait".
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:22 pm
The real reason for conservatives teaching man to fish:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he will go out and buy expensive fishing equipment, stupid looking clothes, a sports utility vehicle, travel 1000 miles to the "hottest" fishing spot, and stand waist deep in cold water just so he can outsmart a fish. (Average cost per fish: $395.68)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:24 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The real reason for conservatives teaching man to fish:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he will go out and buy expensive fishing equipment, stupid looking clothes, a sports utility vehicle, travel 1000 miles to the "hottest" fishing spot, and stand waist deep in cold water just so he can outsmart a fish. (Average cost per fish: $395.68)

Hmm, my original post stands then, it seems.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 01:25 pm
Now that is funny.
0 Replies

Kraken

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:40 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Signed in just to add this tidbit of information? How exciting it is to get highly educated users to participate at A2K! What a wonderful world we live in!

Thank you, I'm already certain that sincerity is your best quality.

To the rest of you, hello all, I thought this was the best way to introduce myself. Some of you already know me.

As to the topic, little aphorisms like "give a man a fish..." sound clever, but are of limited use in getting ideas across except in the most base and propogandist fashion.

The reason is that it is so easy to simply switch who represents each side. People will readily believe that their own philosophy belongs to the wiser side of whatever little witticism they come across. I played along with my post (note I just switched the original author's assertion), but at least I made sure to back mine up with something. That's just how I am.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:45 pm
Kraken wrote:
at least I made sure to back mine up with something. That's just how I am.

What, exactly, was that "something"?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:02 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
It's really very simple: a liberal will give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. A conservative will give massive tax breaks to the manufacturer of fishing poles, huge government subsidies to the owner of the lake, and pass favorable legislation for fish breeders, all in the expectation that this will take care of the starving man through the magic of "trickle down economics."

LOL
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:03 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I've always thought that the difference was that liberals "feel" while conservatives "think".

This explains why last election George Bush was accused of being too intellectual, and Gore's campaign was over emotional.

LOL too.

This thread is turning out surprisingly more funny than I'd thought it be ...

Cav ("what am I, UNICEF?") and even McG ("Average cost per fish: $395.68" made me smile too.

Well, there you go ...

And Craven pretty much dealt with the meat of it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:33 pm
I'm still waiting for the list of fishing education assistance programs offered by conservatives. The truth of the matter is conservatives talk a very good game, but when challenged to offer what they offer that benefits the majority of people they turn mum or angry and sarcastic.

Joe Nation

(Hey, from New York, Not Chicago!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:41 pm
Joe (from NYC), The conservatives found out how expensive to teach the poor to fish, so they gave it up years ago. That's the reason why our schools are in such poor shape, while we spend billions in Iraq to build new schools for Iraqi children. LOL
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
The thing that amazes me that these schools all 'fell apart' since the 2000 election; apparently since the Iraqi invasion.

They apparently were in wonderful condition during the 1990's.

How many here believe it is the federal government's responsibility/duty to build and maintain schools? Those responding, please signify whether you lean more "C" or more "L".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:05 pm
And I gather our federal government has the responsibility to build schools in Iraq while ours remain in disrepair. What a concept.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 08:54 pm
The school, IMO, are the responsibility of the states and the cities. The national defense is the responsibility of the federal government.

I am more "C" than "L" unless "L" stands for Libertarian.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:09 pm
I assume that's a small L
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:38 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I'm still waiting for the list of fishing education assistance programs offered by conservatives. Not with "baited breath", I hope. Yuk yuk SmileThe truth of the matter is conservatives talk a very good game, but when challenged to offer what they offer that benefits the majority of people they turn mum or angry and sarcastic. Yes, how peculiar; no answers!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:24 pm
I think you will find more money allocated for education by the GOP than allocated by the Dems in the last couple of decades or so. The budget for education goes up year by year.

And yes, Dys litle "L" though I am more libertarian than anything else.
0 Replies