IS IT GETTING MEAN AROUND HERE??

rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 04:18 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

The sort of blind, unrelenting vitriol is definitely on the rise. If the internet has done one thing, it's made stupid people angry

The anonymity of the Internet has given voice to some of the thoughts people kept hidden before. In many ways it is a more accurate view of the world than the one we walk through each day. How's that for scary.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 04:20 am
@farmerman,
There sure is, tiz why I am still here. Thanks farmerman
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 04:26 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
The anonymity of the Internet has given voice to some of the thoughts people kept hidden before. In many ways it is a more accurate view of the world than the one we walk through each day. How's that for scary.

Ditto
rosborne979

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 06:57 am
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:

Quote:

Ditto

The Internet is also a distorted lens through which the loud and obnoxious are more visible than the quiet and thoughtful.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 07:04 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
The Internet is also a distorted lens through which the loud and obnoxious are more visible than the quiet and thoughtful.

Same in real life, to be fair to the interwebs.
parados

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 11:30 am
@ossobuco,
Not to be mean, but Pennsylvania's median in that picture seems to be below average.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 02:28 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Same in real life, to be fair to the interwebs.

But I think the web allows those from the shadows to say things that they would never say face to face.

The internet is one of our biggest addictions.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 02:42 pm
@argome321,
Sure, but that's another issue, and already stated.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 07:12 pm
@rosborne979,
Work at grocery stores for a few years and you'll get a pretty good pulse on things. I did that for 9 years until October '14. It's been decades since Einstein noted the shamefulness in it being easier to smash atoms than prejudices, and it gets truer every year. I was too often shocked at the frame of mind of people I worked with–and for

I think the web has certainly emboldened people with ignorant ideas, and allows them to come together in a sense, same as any other like minded group. I really don't know if that's a bad thing or not though; I'd guess I'd rather know the worst of what's on people's minds than not..
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 07:24 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
I think the web has certainly emboldened people with ignorant ideas,

That does not explain it, because a good mind can quickly sift through the crappola. The Bad education, which is not even really education anymore but is rather indoctrination and worker training does better to explain what we see, and till about 10 years ago that was my answer. But there is some more fundamental failure. We are watching people give up on intelligence as being an aid in life, we are watching logic and its result science being degraded, we are watching a kind of hopeless purposeful ignorance in a lot of people now. And a huge emptiness, a lack of there being any there there when we talk about their inner life. And a profound lack of shame in their situation and lack of production as a human being, or for ******* over other people, the next generation being example #1.

This is big, and this sucks.

I have not figured out yet what is going on, but whatever it is is strongly connected to why this civilization is ending.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 08:50 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
I'd guess I'd rather know the worst of what's on people's minds than not..

You would rather know who people are than keep them as characters in your fantasy life??

What a freak *sarcasm*

Language policing and niceness litmus tests are some of the more stupid things I have seen humans do so far in this life.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:45 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
That does not explain it, because a good mind can quickly sift through the crappola. The Bad education, which is not even really education anymore but is rather indoctrination and worker training does better to explain what we see, and till about 10 years ago that was my answer. But there is some more fundamental failure. We are watching people give up on intelligence as being an aid in life, we are watching logic and its result science being degraded, we are watching a kind of hopeless purposeful ignorance in a lot of people now. And a huge emptiness, a lack of there being any there there when we talk about their inner life. And a profound lack of shame in their situation and lack of production as a human being, or for ******* over other people, the next generation being example #1.

I have not figured out yet what is going on, but whatever it is is strongly connected to why this civilization is ending.

Ten years ago? Richard Hofstader wrote a book during the 1960s titled Anti intellectualism in America

https://books.google.com/books?id=GaPHPYQ_x1QC&pg=PA418&lpg=PA418&dq=david+riesman+anti+intellectualism&source=bl&ots=Lj3RE-4iWq&sig=nrHIwZSqXCPY6tuM63dOF_dqj4c&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Qcw4VcOiDqu1sATgwIGIAw&ved=0CDoQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=david%20riesman%20anti%20intellectualism&f=false
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:57 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I think the web has certainly emboldened people with ignorant ideas,

Truer words were never written, Hawk.

Too bad that. You might be able to make a contribution if you get over yourself and open your mind.

You have the intelligence for it...now you find the will.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 05:47 am
@thack45,
Quote:
I think the web has certainly emboldened people with ignorant ideas, and allows them to come together in a sense, same as any other like minded group. I really don't know if that's a bad thing or not though; I'd guess I'd rather know the worst of what's on people's minds than not..

Maybe the whole medium is not suited for productive debate. Paper has its advantages in terms of needing longer production periods, the impossibility to correct article once printed, which calls for greater prudence and better fact checking? The anonymous nature of the net makes for less accountability, less self-control and thus less quality of output, more insults, etc...

Just thinking out loud here. Maybe the ultimate, best possible use of internet is tweeter: people expressing themselves to the world, one way, with immediacy and superficiality. Not people dialoguing with other people on a one to one basis (or within a small group) like we do in real life, when we try to build agreement.
argome321

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 05:55 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Maybe the whole medium is not suited for productive debate. Paper has its advantages in terms of needing longer production periods, the impossibility to correct article once printed, which calls for greater prudence and better fact checking? The anonymous nature of the net makes for less accountability, less self-control and thus less quality of output, more insults, etc...

Just thinking out loud here. Maybe the ultimate, best possible use of internet is tweeter: people expressing themselves to the world, one way, with immediacy and superficiality. Not people dialoguing with other people on a one to one basis (or within a small group) like we do in real life, when we try to build agreement.

But this probably holds true for all forms of media. Look at the T V, a great invention ,but we refer to it as the Boob tube..there are good reasons why we do after it became available to the masses and commercially dominate.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 05:57 am
@argome321,
Yes, TV has its own issues as a medium. I suppose they all have pluses and minuses. But encouraging greater understanding between people does not seem to be a strength of internet forums.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 06:39 am
@hawkeye10,
Hawk, you should start a thread about the future of western civilization. I'm so interested. Times are changing.
firefly

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 08:54 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Hawk, you should start a thread about the future of western civilization. I'm so interested. Times are changing.

Hawkeye has been predicting the end of civilization in numerous threads he's started, or contributed to, over the years--that's what has earned him the nickname of Chicken Little Laughing--and I doubt that any new threads will be any more enlightening, or less melodramatic, than those of the past.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 08:57 am
@firefly,
Are you aware that worlds have collapsed before? The fall of the roman empire, etc. These things do happen. Whether it will happen to us any time soon is a valid question, I think.
firefly

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 09:15 am
@Olivier5,
And yet, civilization has never come to an end...and I doubt it will happen to us any time soon, no matter how many more threads on the subject Chicken Little starts. Laughing