I hate my job with a passion uncontested

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:10 pm
ehBeth wrote:
<trying to think of a discreet marker for you to see that you're there while you're planning>

I'm not sure what you mean, ehBeth.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:14 pm
kickycan wrote:
Wow, I guess it's true that misery loves company, because that story really cheered me up! I'm not the only one who has had fantasies about killing people! Yay!

I didn't mean it as a GOOD thing! But ocassionally it hits the news that some-one HAS murdered their boss - and you (and everyone else, let's face it) thinks, "Bastard probably deserved it!".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:17 pm
In my case - I could put a photo of my dogs up at my desk to keep my reason for staying at that stinkin' job in front of me. A physical reminder to sit down when I wanted to get up and whack someone in the head.

You can't really put up a calendar with 342 days left to go up at work. So I was trying to figure out what you could use - something to remind you that you're planning your future while the money keeps trickling/pouring in - without making it obvious to your employer. That'd just be asking for trouble.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:57 pm
Aah, I see. That's a good idea. I am going to think about that. I am leaning in the direction of moving back to Florida, so maybe I could put up some kind picture of the beach...yeah, that is a good idea. I think I have some pictures of me on the beach. Yeah, yeah, YEAH! I like that a lot!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:00 pm
I think you should post them here first, kicky. We, the voices of reason and experience, could help you select the most appropriate one. Very Happy

hehehehehehehehehe
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:05 pm
That, ma'am, is where I draw the line.

(said the mysterious and benevolent smoking cowboy)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:16 pm
Kicky, you said something about starting your own business and now you're thinking about moving to Florida. It sounds REAL good. Again, you're young and on your own. Got any Florida contacts? Now's the time to take these types of big, risky steps. You starve, you starve alone. No hungry children staring up at you.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:23 pm
I'm not as young as you think, eoe. I'm thirty-five years old!!! But I still feel like I'm young and free enough to do this. I moved to New York without any contacts and no job at all. Hell, I didn't even plan on moving to New York. I just up and left. Of course, that was over six years ago, and the job market was booming. Things are a lot tougher now, plus now I am getting to the age where I'd like to take the risks out of it before making such a big move. The Florida idea is not certain, but it's definitely the one I'm most excited about.

Still trying to figure out a plan, but I'll get there. I just have to get back in touch with my inner risk-taker.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:25 pm
I do have contacts in Florida, by the way. I lived there for three years, and I still know some people. I will be getting in touch with them someday soon.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:26 pm
That's right. I reached the point where you are twice and ended up stepping out on my own. Take risks. CALCULATED risks. That's the only way to really live.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:27 pm
I agree completely.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:51 pm
when we visited with friends in florida, we noticed that there are a lot of rich widows looking for playboys. that ought to be a satisfying job ! hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:21 pm
Kicky's older than me. Shocked

I really like all this stuff about calculated risks, research, get a goal in mind and go towards it while making money and maybe even getting some free education. Good plan.

My dad was a mailman, hated it, really really really hated it, stuck it out, the thing was it was such a stupid job (sorry to any mailpeople, he hated it, going by him) that he had lots of time to think about other stuff while on the job. My "best" job (where I was the boss) required that I use every brain cell every minute of the day. (Well... but I was just a quivering lump of jelly by the end of the day, that's for sure.) Point is, if you have a stupid job that isn't using your skills, that sucks, but it frees up brain cells for plotting while you also bring in some dough.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:25 pm
I've known three mail carriers who've loved it. Lots of exercise, out in the open air, no one looking over your shoulder, plenty of time to do good thinking while the feet hit the pavement. (Well, one of 'em drove his route, but it was the same basic idea.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:32 pm
Thirty-five, kicky? Can you recommend a good brand of walker? For me mother, of course.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:16 pm
Kicky called me ma'am ! Evil or Very Mad

Given my unease about my recent birthday, I can only say Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:06 pm
Kicky - don't let the thought 'my boss is a nice person" get in the way. Bosses see people come and go and don't get very attached to anyone as they a little more focussed on their own part of the organisation. It's just a plus if you like them.

Take it from me. I have seen the difference between public utterances and remarks made in private.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:09 pm
Soz is younger than me? Shocked

ehBeth, that was just me doing my smoking cowboy impersonation. You know, like Clint Eastwood or something.

No offense intended, ma'am. :wink:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hey, that mailman idea doesn't sound half bad to me, actually. Especially in Florida. Nice weather, nothing much more taxing than a fast-paced walk.

Roger I will kick your ass in a walker race!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:20 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Kicky - don't let the thought 'my boss is a nice person" get in the way. Bosses see people come and go and don't get very attached to anyone as they a little more focussed on their own part of the organisation. It's just a plus if you like them.

Take it from me. I have seen the difference between public utterances and remarks made in private.

I totally realize that. I know that he's he's looking out for his own ass, and that he basically tolerates the rest of the department's presence everyday, and that's as far as it goes for him. He doesn't want to be anybody's friend. Since I approach work with that same attitude, I can't help but respect that. It's just business though.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:20 am
kicky, here's a mantra/idea for you to help you stick it out.

Calculate how much you make in a very small amount of time, say 15 minutes (1/4 of an hour) or 6 minutes (1/10 of an hour). Just write the figure on a sticky (no dollar sign) and stick it on your monitor. If someone asks you about it, tell them it's the chapter of a statute you have to look up for a friend of yours, or a multiplier for a loan your mother is getting, or something like that. Just make up something (for me, the statute idea works, given my law degree). Then, every time something aggravating happens, think of the number and say to yourself, ka-ching.

Oh, boring meeting, there go 16 ka-chings.
Oh, boss giving me a hard time, there go 2 ka-chings.
Oh, phone call with disgruntled customer, there goes a ka-ching.
Oh, business trip, there go 75 ka-chings.

That mantra really helped me during some icky times.
0 Replies