I hate my job with a passion uncontested

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:47 am
I have been working in the marketing department of one of the world's biggest finance companies, doing "graphics" work, for the past five years or so. It is the most boring, meaningless, unfulfilling **** ever, and lately, I have been a complete prick to everybody, because I think I'm reaching burn-out levels. I want to stay until at least May of next year, because at that point I'll be vested in all the various retirement and incentive packages.

How do I get through this without going absolutely nuts? I HATE it here! I hate the work, I hate almost all the people I have to deal with, and I am about to puke from holding my frustration at bay every minute of every day of every week of every horribly meaningless month that goes by.

Has anyone out there ever felt this way? How the hell did you make it through without losing it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 20,443 • Replies: 265
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:04 am
Well, first, I would suggest going back to the monkey avatar. Second, lemme get you and my wife talking, it seems you have a lot in common. Third, remember that all your co-workers are god's creatures, and you are god, and can smite them at a moment's notice, heh heh. That should get you through. I would add a four, but I don't know if you can work drunk.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:24 am
Thanks for the funny, Cav. As you know by now, funny is important to me. By the way, I like this much better than that stupid monkey avatar. I couldn't stand looking at that thing anymore.

But seriously, how am I going to get through another year of this ****?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:25 am
You can start by placing saran wrap on the toilets, tacks on your coworker's seats, and sugar in their gas tanks. Then go out and get sh!tcanned every day after work.

And I can't relate...anymore. I work pretty much alone. My boss is a couple states away.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:30 am
How's the new job going, Slappy?

Kickycan, I think we've all been there, but whoa almost a year left, that's rough.

ehBeth had a line about "I am not my job", I think it's nice to have a great, fulfilling job, but if you don't, just make the rest of your life as interesting and fulfilling as possible. There MUST be other people who are as annoyed as you, find some of 'em and b!tch about your boss and co-workers. I've had several jobs where exchanging glances and writing notes with someone simpatico during a horrible meeting was what kept me sane.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:35 am
My new job is awesome, thanks for axin'.

My last job, I both really liked it and hated it like you. I was fairly micro-managed, but they didn't do sh!t for you as an employee, and I got into a lot of arguments with a coworker. A couple times were straight out screaming matches. Good times.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:44 am
Soz, I do the bitch session thing. But it's now getting to the point where bitching and complaining is losing its power. I have tried to focus on what I'm going to do next year, after I'm vested, but I have been working in this place for so long that any skills I might have had in a "real" graphics environment are all but gone. I don't think I want to do graphics anymore anyways, but I need some kind of job, so now I'll have to start all over. How depressing.

So, in summary, my confidence is shot, my job sucks, and I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do for a job next year when I (hopefully) leave this one.

Maybe there's no answer to this. Maybe I'm just stuck.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:48 am
Don't let yourself be stuck..just start looking for another job. Is it that important to get vested last year? Maybe you can find something that pays that much more to make it worth your while?

Oh, and leave a pumpkin on your moron coworker's car with a note, attached with a knife, that says "you."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:02 pm
Well, the god comment was semi-serious. My wife uses that feeling, especially when she is expected to do everything. I admire her tenacity. I couldn't do it myself, without the cops being involved at some point. That's why I work at home. She also suffers from that question "Maybe I'm just stuck", and then it's a rant about how she feels like a secretary when she is a manager, and how maybe she doesn't deserve a better life, and how will we pay the bills....still, she plugs along, and makes future plans in her spare time. Given that you have a specific timeline, I would say, do the grind, and when you are not in the office, make plans. I dunno what else to offer. I work alone, which I love, but I haven't made good money in a while. I have recently come to accept the idea that I need a new market for my services, outside of the city. I was dead set against it at first, but it appears it is necessary. Don't underestimate a radical change. You just never know.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:07 pm
And buy my "Money Making Package" for only $29.99. It teaches you how to get rich, from your apartment, for selling suckers money making packages for $29.99.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:11 pm
Kicky, does your employer offer any tuition reimbursement plans?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:14 pm
Yeah, about whether it's really that important to be vested.

At the very least, dream, make plans, compose your letter of resignation, and then just grit your teeth for another 11 months. It's really not that long in the scheme of things.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:16 pm
Just don't procrastinate too long...I wanted to leave my old job for 2+ years before I finally did. Too long. A year goes by quickly, so plan ahead. I'd start searching, researching, and narrowing down what else you want to do.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:21 pm
Kicky, where you are right now really just.. welll..... sucks ass. I have been a geriatric nurse for 10 years... know what I do for a living???
I change the diapers of people 3 times my age, some times have to stick my fingers in thier rear end to pull out poop because they cant do it themselves , change thier bibs because they have no control over thier mouths anymore..I can go on, and on, and on , and on... Shitty job? yeah, mine is too. BUT I handle it by playing as hard as I work. If I feel I busted my butt today doing something I TRULY didnt want to do ( that is about 90% of my job ) then i do something that is just awesome.
I hike. I fish for 2 days with no family. .. .. well not really fish, I just sit with a pole in the water drunk. If a fish is stupid enough to bite.. so be it. :-)
I do alot of handy work in the house. Flooring, carpeting etc..
Drink. Sometimes Drink again.. heheh. Go to movies at 12 am.. with noone b ut me. Have sex for 3 hours. then have some coffee and do it again.
Mypoint aside from all my ranting is find something diffrent to do every week / end that makes you concentrate on how much fun you are having as hard as you concentrate on how much you hate work.
Work hard .. play hard. You need balance.
Sometimes.. it is more fun just TRYING to play as hard as you work.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:26 pm
Quote:
It is the most boring, meaningless, unfulfilling **** ever, and lately, I have been a complete prick to everybody, because I think I'm reaching burn-out levels.

Describes me to a T right now. I bought a t-shirt that says "official member of the piss and moan about everything club" and I mean every word of it. I snap at everyone in work and I am whingeing to anyone who will listen but that is because my workload is enormous not because I particularly hate the job or people. I am hesitant to skip out before I've even put in a year here so I am taking it day-by-day. At least your job sounds slightly more interesting than mine. Graphics in a finance company? I have to listen to clients bitch about their insurance rates every day.

If you're not overworked, you should try getting the company to pay for you to take some classes/training or something. I took this job because their educational package was excellent - didn't know that I wouldn't have time to spare to even take an hour-long online class!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:29 pm
Cinnesthesia, yeah they offer tuition reimbursement, but as far as I know, you have to enroll in something related, like banking or finance, or MBA-type stuff. That kind of stuff is just absolutely in no way anything I'm interested in, so if I want to go to school for something, I'll have to pay for it myself.

Slappy, when I got to this job, I said, "if I'm still working here in a year, somebody please shoot me." Now it's been five. I have already waited too long.

Yeah, I definitely have to start the brainstorming and researching process. It's just so damn tough to figure out what the hell I can do that will make me money, but that won't make me sick to my stomach all day.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:37 pm
Scores is looking for a night manager - all you have to do is interview/hire girls and rotate them (yeah!) on and off their shifts.

Please apply to :
Mr. DooHoo
Slapstick-comedy ventures
Down the road
Around the corner
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:48 pm
kickycan wrote:

Slappy, when I got to this job, I said, "if I'm still working here in a year, somebody please shoot me." Now it's been five. I have already waited too long.

That was me at my first 'real' job. I actually stayed 8 years. I got tenure, then I left. So now I can say, no matter what unkind things my references might say about me, 'I must have been good, they gave me tenure'. Ha.

So you might see where I'm going here. If you think the benefits are worth it, tough it out.

Then you can quit. You are young and free of obligations (I think) so live simply and do what pleases you. Wish I had done that when I had the chance.

Good luck.

PS - If you quit smoking, you can save money on the cigs and perhaps even money on your healthcare. Just a reminder.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:59 pm
Yes, I am free of obligations. And to live simply is what I am striving for. New York is not the place to do that, however, so I also think that moving is in my future.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 01:02 pm
I am starting an Italian class in a couple weeks. Maybe that will help alleviate some of this bile swirling around in my soon-to-be-ulcerated stomach.
0 Replies