Raise those flags!

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:25 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I am patriotic, and I don't question the patriotism of others just because the way they express it doesn't match the way I do.

No, you just question their adherence to Democratic principles.

I find it interesting that the sight of numerous flags offends your sense of the aesthetic. Is it a matter of simple excess or do your really find multiple flags behind a public speaker immediately reminicsent of Nazi Germany?
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:45 pm
I didn't hear anyone call Kerry on the carpet when he announced his support of Alzheimer's research merely a week after Reagan died.

That's clearly politicking on Reagan's supporter's emotions, isn't it now? That's far worse than standing in front of US flags (like all presidents and all US Political candidates do) during speeches or press conferences.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 06:45 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's amazing that you can read so much into four words...

Every day I drive past a certain flag that has been at half mast since reagan's death. I am reminded of the great respect that I have for him and what he has done for our country. 30 days is NOT too long to reflect on what a president has meant for our country. Now, if presidents were dying every other week I might understand these foolish ideas that a president isn't worth mourning, but as we have only had 43 presidents throughout the entire history of our country, you will have to just deal with those of us that actually have respect for our leaders.

Actually it really don't matter to me if they have flags up or down or half way down in mourning for Reagan. Let em' do it forever.

I always thought we kept flags on official buildings at half mast during wars anyway? I guess we are not at war even though our troops are still dying everyday.

I have to admit that I have never been a really showy patriotic person who gets all emotional about flags and patriotic songs. In fact I have actually quit listening to country music all together since it has turned into some kind of weird patriotic cult singing group.

I'm with George Jones when he sang, "whose goin' to fill their shoes." It sure ain't this current crop of singers by a long shot.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:33 am
Well, as John Prine once sang:

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore,
It's already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason for.
So your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore.

Amen to that...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 06:02 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Well, as John Prine once sang:

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore,
It's already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason for.
So your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore.

Amen to that...

Isn't he from Kentucky? I think my brother met him once unless I am mistaking him for another.

In any case, I don't know if I agree that all wars are bad, but I get the point and I agree.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:58 am
Prine's family is from Kentucky, and he may have been born there, but I think he grew up in Illinois. A great singer/songwriter. His song "Paradise" is about what the coal mining companies did to the part of Kentucky his family is from.

(The song I quote from, BTW, is from the Vietnam War era, when having a flag decal suggested the driver was a true-blue American and not one of those protesters...)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:38 pm
"Daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg county..." yea I know the song and the place pretty good.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:44 pm
It's a nice song, but a sad one...

When I die let my ashes float down the Green River
Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam
I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin'
Just five miles away from wherever I am.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:03 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I don't particularly mind the half-staff business, but what does bug me is this: The politician standing in front of dozens of U.S. flags when he makes a speech. The politician is probably Bush or Cheney, more often than not, but, in all fairness, I can imagine Kerry there, too.

Smacks of a fascist esthetic, if you ask me...Wouldn't a single flag suffice to assure the audience of the speaker's allegiance?

That irritates me too. It's as though they insist their way is the American way and to not follow them is somehow anti-American. The republicans have been using the flag as a crutch a lot lately. To me it kind of lowers the meaning of the flag which is supposed to represent freedom for all people, not just Republicans.

B.T.W. I'm a big John Prine fan.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:03 am
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/11.29/photos/09-clinton1-450.jpg

http://clinton3.nara.gov/WH/kids/moments/wjc.jpg

http://thebigstory.org/bigstoryimages/bigger-clinton.jpg

http://www.uaw.org/solidarity/02/0102/pics/front04.jpg

http://www.nursingworld.org/pressrel/1997/hillary.jpg
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:58 am
Do you see dozens around clinton or hilliary?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:11 am
revel wrote:
Do you see dozens around clinton or hilliary?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:33 pm
Thanks for the Clinton pics, those are cool. I'm listening to the audio book of Clinton's "My Life" as we speak. I highly recommend buying it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:45 pm
1, 1, 1, 1, and someone else speaking.

good point making there.

Clinton's on Larry King right now. Interesting.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:18 pm
I'm really not talking about the candidates that are in office. They've been waiving the flag since the dawn of time. I'm talking about in your face flag waving Republican voters. It's on a rise lately. Democrats do it too but not near as much, and Republicans didn't do it as much as they do now before Bush became dictator.
0 Replies

tony2481

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:43 pm
It is a long standing American tradition to hang our flags at Half Mast for 30 days following the death of a president. What GW says has no bearing on the tradition. The same amount of respect will be paid to Bill Clinton when he dies.

Weather or not you were a big fan of Regan's policies, he still deserves the same repect afforded every other dead president.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:23 pm
roverroad wrote:
I'm really not talking about the candidates that are in office. They've been waiving the flag since the dawn of time. I'm talking about in your face flag waving Republican voters. It's on a rise lately. Democrats do it too but not near as much, and Republicans didn't do it as much as they do now before Bush became dictator.

This could not be more ridiculous.

Why people insist on this hyperbolic nonsense is beyond me, unless it is a manifestation of arrested development.

Unfortunately, the discourse is with a group that cannot, even for a brief moment, disassociate themselves with an ideological cookie cutter.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:38 pm
I must have missed it.Someone tell me when Bush became a dictator.
When was the constitution suspended? When was the congress abolished?
Did I miss it while at work?
Or did I miss it while I was out enjotying my right to dissent,or when I was out exercising my right to vote?
I dont recall any of those rightd being taken away,and that is the first thing a dictator would do,isnt it?
So,I ask again,when did Bush become a dictator?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:38 am
It's just the liberal way of getting through life, mysteryman. They need to demonize and dehumanize anything logical or conservative. They can't be patriotic, they don't want others to be patriotic, and they can't be allowed to let themselves be happy.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:02 am
Right ...
0 Replies