Raise those flags!

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:40 am
Oh wait...you said half MAST....excuse....
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:46 am
McGentrix wrote:
Oh, goody. Another opinion.

Hmmm...from another thread:

McGentrix wrote:
are you just trying to be disruptive with the personal remark completely ignoring anything that was written?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:07 pm
I don't think anybody is paying attention to flags anyway. Not like we were right after 9/11 when everybody went out and got one or two or more to put on their cars, lapels and desk at work... Comments were made if you did not have one at every conceivable avenue. Now all those ratty flags are still blowing but for the most part forgotten.

It just got too ridiculous and once something is rammed into the ground; usually a revival is hard to do.

"O goody another opinion?" What are message boards for if not to express your opinions? That's like going to church and a guest arrives and someone goes, "oh, look, another bible thumper."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:21 pm
It's amazing that you can read so much into four words...

Every day I drive past a certain flag that has been at half mast since reagan's death. I am reminded of the great respect that I have for him and what he has done for our country. 30 days is NOT too long to reflect on what a president has meant for our country. Now, if presidents were dying every other week I might understand these foolish ideas that a president isn't worth mourning, but as we have only had 43 presidents throughout the entire history of our country, you will have to just deal with those of us that actually have respect for our leaders.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:23 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Every day I drive past a certain flag that has been at half mast since reagan's death. I am reminded of the great respect that I have for him and what he has done for our country. 30 days is NOT too long to reflect on what a president has meant for our country. Now, if presidents were dying every other week I might understand these foolish ideas that a president isn't worth mourning, but as we have only had 43 presidents throughout the entire history of our country, you will have to just deal with those of us that actually have respect for our leaders.

actually we don't have to deal with you. that's nice.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:23 pm
I don't particularly mind the half-staff business, but what does bug me is this: The politician standing in front of dozens of U.S. flags when he makes a speech. The politician is probably Bush or Cheney, more often than not, but, in all fairness, I can imagine Kerry there, too.

Smacks of a fascist esthetic, if you ask me...Wouldn't a single flag suffice to assure the audience of the speaker's allegiance?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:31 pm
How about an American flag Toby Keith Official cowboy hat, an America love it or leave it barbeque apron and a don't argue with your wife....dicker red white and blue t-shirt?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:43 pm
That's just tasteless crap, IMHO, but all the flags creep me out...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I don't particularly mind the half-staff business, but what does bug me is this: The politician standing in front of dozens of U.S. flags when he makes a speech. The politician is probably Bush or Cheney, more often than not, but, in all fairness, I can imagine Kerry there, too.

Smacks of a fascist esthetic, if you ask me...Wouldn't a single flag suffice to assure the audience of the speaker's allegiance?

So, the fact that they represent the USA to the world has nothing to do with it, Huh?
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:49 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Hardly amazing when those "four words" are dripping with sarcasm.

I can give you two words right now that you can read into plenty, but I already made my point. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:16 pm
McGentrix wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

So, the fact that they represent the USA to the world has nothing to do with it, Huh?

What do dozens of flags have to do with anything? Are you so literal-minded that you need that obvious a reminder of who those guys are?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:33 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
That's just tasteless crap, IMHO, but all the flags creep me out...

man are we on the same page there....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:41 pm
I see all those flags, and I think "Triumph of the Will". Especially with the current crew in charge...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:43 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

What do dozens of flags have to do with anything? Are you so literal-minded that you need that obvious a reminder of who those guys are?

Nope. But Joe Terrorist over in Iraq might be. You may not be patriotic, and that's fine as it's one of the freedoms that you have, but our government is, and I am. So, don't like it? Don't watch it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:41 pm
I am patriotic, and I don't question the patriotism of others just because the way they express it doesn't match the way I do. And that, apparently, is a way we differ.

Patriotism means more than wrapping oneself in the flag...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:47 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I am patriotic, and I don't question the patriotism of others just because the way they express it doesn't match the way I do. And that, apparently, is a way we differ.

Patriotism means more than wrapping oneself in the flag...

Yes it does, but it does INCLUDE the flag. The backdrop of an important speech sets the tone for a speech. People get paid big bucks to figure out the best place for a political speech. the backdrop should be befitting the tone of the speech.

Speech on jobs? Give in a warehouse.
Speech on the military? try an aircraft carrier.
Speech on patriotism? Lots of flags.

This isn't some new ploy that Bush has thought of, politicians have been doing it for decades.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:13 pm
That's marketing, McG, not patriotism...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:16 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
That's marketing, McG, not patriotism...

marketing brings everything down to it's lowest common denominator so that the masses will get the message and go for it hook line and sinker without even thinking about it...it's obviously effective.....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:24 pm
So, it would appear, Bear!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:04 pm
blatham wrote:
Gosh, finn, not sure I can fit any more. There's yourself and foxfire nestled under my left wing and an unnatural growth I really should have checked over on the right. My ex-wife clings to my tail feathers while Humility rides high on my shoulders (which are broad). This leaves only my soft underbelly, and that's reserved for Fifi (whom you'll meet shortly).

Oh Obi Wan, you still have plenty of room under that left wing for rover. I went over to the dark side of the force long ago.
0 Replies