Raise those flags!

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:21 pm
I don't know about where you're from, but here in Smallville, (Boise Idaho) everyone is still flying the flags at half mast. It's been two weeks since Reagan died and every major business and government office that has a flag pole still has it at half mast. I think it's an outrage and an insult to the flag. The flag should be flying high by now to show the world that we are a proud nation, not that we linger on sad events for extremely long periods of time.

Who decides how long a flag is going to be at half mast anyway? Is there some kind of government board that makes this decision? Who is the moron that decided that since they think Reagan was such a great president that all Americans should have to look at a flag that is only half as honored. It's disrespectful. One or two days would have been good, I could kind of forgive a week, but two weeks is getting ridiculous.

People, Stop using the national flag as a crutch! That's not what it was intended for.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,391 • Replies: 100
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:28 pm
You apparently dont pay attention.
Georger Bush ordered the flags on ALL federal buildings to be flown at half staff for 30 days,in memory of Reagan.
State and local govt and business can make their own decisions about it.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:32 pm
A pathetic order from a pathetic president.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:43 pm
The 30 day period is standard procedure when a president dies.
Would it have still been a pathetic order if Gore had ordered it?
When Clinton dies,will it still be a pathetic order?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
mysteryman wrote:

Yes it would have been. A week tops but a month is way overboard. It would be understandable if it were a president who died in office, even if I don't like him. But one that's been out of office for 15 years... That's just milking it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:53 pm
Here in Canada, when a politician dies, the flags are dropped right to the ground, then a hole half the height of the mast is excavated, and the flag is buried down there forever.

This is a policy I support.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:54 pm
blatham wrote:
Here in Canada, when a politician dies, the flags are dropped right to the ground, then a hole half the height of the mast is excavated, and the flag is buried down there forever.

This is a policy I support.

I guess it could be worse Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:04 pm
**blood pressure rising***

***temperature overloading***

***Must remain calm and rational***
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:04 pm
Flying the flag half-mast is in no way disrespectful to the flag.

Your stating that it's foolish to go half-mast for 30 days to honor a former president's death is dishonorable to our country.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:15 pm
What a ridiculous complaint. I find it hard to believe rover isn't pulling our legs.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:15 pm
I was kinda hoping it would remain at half-mast right thru election day.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:52 pm
Perhaps the better policy would be to put flags at half mast when a politician is born.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:02 pm
blatham wrote:
Perhaps the better policy would be to put flags at half mast when a politician is born.

With the quality of politicians that we have in America lately, I'd definitely go for that.

P.S. I'm glad this thread made some of you angry, you deserve it!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:19 pm
roverroad wrote:
blatham wrote:

With the quality of politicians that we have in America lately, I'd definitely go for that.

P.S. I'm glad this thread made some of you angry, you deserve it!

obi won blatham

I think you have another Luke Skywalker to take under your wing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 06:30 am
Gosh, finn, not sure I can fit any more. There's yourself and foxfire nestled under my left wing and an unnatural growth I really should have checked over on the right. My ex-wife clings to my tail feathers while Humility rides high on my shoulders (which are broad). This leaves only my soft underbelly, and that's reserved for Fifi (whom you'll meet shortly).
0 Replies

y69hydro

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:09 pm
raise those flags
i know that the law is that we display our flags for 30 days when a pres dies. however stupid laws must be changed. our nation right now is being tested everyday from everybody. i beleive that we put the flag at half mast for a period but 30 days is to long. we should honor the pres or ex president for about 7 days max. than its time to raise them up to show the other nations that the have morned and now its time to show them we are ready to do business. most people that have lost loved ones are only given 3 days to take off from work to morn our loved ones. and than it is back to business. we have to move on. we morn for 30 days this is to long. move on, turn the page and get ready world here he come.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:24 am
Oh, goody. Another opinion.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:36 am
mysteryman wrote:

Not pathetic, respectful. I have to agree with you there. Excessive however IMO. Yes for Clinton too, or any other President. Again IMO. A week is plenty.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:38 am
McGentrix wrote:
**blood pressure rising***

***temperature overloading***

***Must remain calm and rational***

a study in futility......see it first hand here....only a quarter.....step right up.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:39 am
dyslexia wrote:
I was kinda hoping it would remain at half-mast right thru election day.

like jrs. presidency itself?
0 Replies