A Dialogue on the infamous “N” word

ehBeth

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:49 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
The younger generation does not always have those same associations.

understand why they don't share it.

you know a very different group of young people than I do
layman

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:05 am
@ehBeth,

Quote:

I'm sure there are a lot of young people out there that neither one of us know, Beth. If you want to know what we're talking about, you could read about the study cited here:

http://able2know.org/topic/270297-3#post-5907579
ehBeth

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:08 am
@layman,
Thank you, I have already read the thread and its contents.
layman

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:16 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Thank you, I have already read the thread and its contents.

Ok, great, Beth. Did you have a point to make, or were you just inserting a personal observation when you said this?:

Quote:
0 Replies

argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:33 am
@layman,
Quote:
In the context of this thread, the "thing" is the word.

You have strong emotions associated with this word, for reasons which are completely legitimate and perfectly understandable.

The younger generation does not always have those same associations. You want them to have them, to share them with you. Of course, you could also share their feelings with them. But I think you are treating the issue as though the pain is due to the word itself, which is why you feel that they must adopt and assume your pain, rather than you undertaking to understand why they don't share it.
[/b]

You keep insisting that it is purely or strongly emotional on my part, yet I have pointed out on several occasion that there is a dangerous psychological component involved here... do not ignore that.

If you think that this so called pain you have come to name it, is due to the word itself then you have either misconstrued or misread all that I have said.

Psychopaths may not be able to feel empathy but that doesn't make them killers. The have the ability to reason and have no need to kill because intellectually they reason their lives can be productive and killing would only counteract that. There is no emotions involve there.
0 Replies

argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 12:17 pm
@argome321,
I forgot to mention this.
Slavery is a form of abuse.
All forms of abuse have psychological ramifications.
layman

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 01:03 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
I forgot to mention this.
Slavery is a form of abuse.
All forms of abuse have psychological ramifications

Agreed.

Quote:
If you think that this so called pain you have come to name it, is due to the word itself then you have either misconstrued or misread all that I have said.

Well, Arg, at this point I don't know who is understanding who. I certainly do NOT think the pain is due to the "word itself." And I have already said that your pain is completely understandable and perfectly legitimate. We don't disagree on that at all.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 01:33 pm
@argome321,
I have made this analogy before (and I'm not even claiming it's a particularly good one), but.. Let's say you hate snakes, and I don't.

Should I hate snakes?

Suppose you give me innumerable reasons "why" you hate snakes. Let's say I understand your reasons.

But let's say I still don't hate snakes.

Again, the questions is "should I hate snakes?" If so, why?

Let me repost an excerpt from the author of the study I cited earlier:

Quote:
The word provokes emotions, emotions of pain and hurt for older generations, emotions that seem to be lacking among the consciousness of youth. ... when they do know [the history of the word] it’s still kind of like ‘That doesn’t have anything to do with me. That was then.’ They don’t really have an emotional connection to the word....A lot of them don’t know that it’s negative. And if they do know it’s negative, they don’t really care that it’s negative

"...if they do know it’s negative, they don’t really care that it’s negative."

I think your underlying assumption is that "if they knew the history, and the pain it's caused, THEN they would care. They just need to be educated, that's all."

But what if they still don't care because, they say: "That doesn’t have anything to do with me. That was then."

What now?
argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 03:24 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Well, Arg, at this point I don't know who is understanding who. I certainly do NOT think the pain is due to the "word itself." And I have already said that your pain is completely understandable and perfectly legitimate. We don't disagree on that at all.

HMM, You keep emphasing pain. I've been talking about abuse.

If you say that I have something against abuse, any type of abuse, that I hate abuse, the yes I hate abuse.

Now substitute abuse for snake and see if your analogy works?

If you don't want to move off the pain angle then we are at an impasse.

There probably isn't any more to add from here anyway.

argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 03:30 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
You have strong emotions associated with this word, for reasons which are completely legitimate and perfectly understandable.

The younger generation does not always have those same associations. You want them to have them, to share them with you. Of course, you could also share their feelings with them. But I think you are treating the issue as though the pain is due to the word itself, which is why you feel that they must adopt and assume your pain, rather than you undertaking to understand why they don't share it.

Quote:

oh, I was confused by these statements they seem contrary?
layman

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:16 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
oh, I was confused by these statements they seem contrary?

Not sure why you say that. I guess I'm not being clear. This may be confusing you:

Quote:
But I think you are treating the issue as though the pain is due to the word itself,...

What I mean by that is simply that it is not the word, in and of itself, that causes you pain (although it may now seem that way). It is the associations you make with the word which causes you pain.

Going back to my "snake" analogy, if you had two close friends who each died from a poisonous snake bite, on separate occasions, you might have different "associations" with snakes than I do. Yours would be quite valid, but I just wouldn't have the same associations.
argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:29 pm
@layman,
Well I disagree. It has very little , if any, due to any pain, real or imagined. It is the opposition to using these word, words that carry the baggage and the psychological ramifications caused by the abuse.

0 Replies

layman

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:30 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
HMM, You keep emphasing pain. I've been talking about abuse.

If you say that I have something against abuse, any type of abuse, that I hate abuse, the yes I hate abuse.

I'm not stuck on the word "pain," any negative word will do. Yes, we all hate "abuse" in the abstract.

I grew up with a kid whose mother was very abusive to him. When he got older, and had his own child, he didn't want his mother anywhere around his boy (at first). His wife insisted that he let the boy get to know his grandmother. Long story short, his mother treated her grandson like gold. They got on very well, and my friend's son really loved his grandmother and enjoyed spending time with her.

That woman abused her son. She did NOT abuse her grandson. She, and other things in her life, had changed since the time she raised her own son.

My friend will probably always see her as an "abusive" person. His son probably never will. But it's the same person. The grandson doesn't feel the same way as his father about her though.

Fortunately, my friend never told his son that he "should" dislike his grandmother. He didn't try to make him dislike her, just because he did. He let them develop their own relationship.

See what I'm getting at? Many of today's youth just don't see the term nigga as "abusive." You do. But your experience with the word may be completely different than theirs.
argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:33 pm
@layman,
Quote:
That woman abused her son. She did NOT abuse her grandson. She, and other things in her life, had changed since the time she raised her own son.

That's very common. The grand son is not seen as a burden.

It's psyche 101

layman

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:43 pm
@argome321,
Quote:

OK, good, you agree that such things can happen. So what is your response to this point?:

Quote:
Fortunately, my friend never told his son that he "should" dislike his grandmother. He didn't try to make him dislike her, just because he did. He let them develop their own relationship.
argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:51 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

OK, good, you agree that such things can happen. So what is your response to this point?:

Quote:

The grandmother isn't a perceived threat and is probably a doting grandma, but that and what we are talking about are as different as are oranges and apples
layman

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:53 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
The grandmother isn't a perceived threat and is probably a doting grandma, but that and what we are talking about are as different as are oranges and apples

What is it that we're talking about, from your perspective, and how is it different?
argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 07:13 pm
@layman,
Quote:
What is it that we're talking about, from your perspective, and how is it different?

What we are talking about?
layman

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 07:19 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
What we are talking about?

I asked you first!

We've talked about different things in this thread, Arg, but lately I've been talking about the difference in perception that the younger generation may have from the older one--quoting studies about that, etc.

What are you talking about?
argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 07:47 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I asked you first!

really?LOL

Quote:
We've talked about different things in this thread, Arg, but lately I've been talking about the difference in perception that the younger generation may have from the older one--quoting studies about that, etc.

These studies, did they include any psychological parameters, indicators etc to determine the effects and social ramifications?

Quote:
What are you talking about?

I'v been explaining my position and reasons for being against using the word nigger so Cavalier because of the long term psychological and physical damage still in existence today and in the future.

In essence I thought we were discussing the effect or lack there of by using or not using the word nigger.
Since I view it as mechanism of abuse I look at the psychological ramification... short term and long term.