Islam Can Not be Trusted wth Historical Treasure

BillRM

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
We are playing for keeps here Bill, get serious.

Oh and people from the past was not playing for keeps also such as Carthage who million or so population was wiped from the face of the earth by Rome as if they had been A-bomb?

Playing for keeps is nothing new either for nations or whole cultures and it would be nice if we at least would stop making the same errors over and over in history.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:59 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
it would be nice if we at least would stop making the same errors over and over in history.

that is what I say to those who spend most of their time fantasizing about improving humans enough to be worthy of entering their imagined utopias or about using force to get everyone to do what they want, as if WW2, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and the like taught them nothing.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 09:26 am
@coldjoint,
CJ, I have to step in here.
The Muslim world had absolutely nothing with causing the Dark Ages.
For you to even suggest that shows how deep your hatred of Islam is, and how illogical it is.

The Dark Age was caused mainly by the collapse of the Roman Empire.
When it collapsed. The only force maintaing order in Europe collapsed, giving rise to petty kings in every village, and they all seemed to believe in diplomacy of the sword.
Education was forgotten, art and science were ignored.
It was the Muslim world that kept the arts and sciences alive, along with education.

It was Muslim mathematicians that created the zero.
As for art, Istanbul has some wonderful art galleries, I recommend you visit them whenever you get the chance.

BTW, I am a conservative.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 01:41 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
The Muslim world had absolutely nothing with causing the Dark Ages.http://www.alien-earth.com/images/smileys/bullshit.gif

hatred of Islam is, and how illogical it is.

Have you read the Koran and Hadith? It is not illogical to hate such a morally repugnant religion/ideology.

I am getting tired of idiots who know nothing about Islam except that it is cool to defend it. Grow the **** up. do you see what it inspires and teaches. Your words are empty bullshit.

Quote:
It was the Muslim world that kept the arts and sciences alive, along with education.

Quote:
Amr writes to Omar for instructions, and Omar replies: "If those books are in agreement with the Quran, we have no need of them; and if these are opposed to the Quran, destroy them.

There is your arts and sciences being destroyed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_the_Library_of_Alexandria#cite_note-21

Quote:
It was Muslim mathematicians that created the zero.

Quote:
A full grasp of zero’s importance would not arrive until the seventh century A.D. in India. There, the mathematician Brahmagupta and others used small dots under numbers to show a zero placeholder,

http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/who-invented-the-zero
No it was the Hindus or Indians. Learn something and get back to me.

And that goes for the 5 idiots that thumbed you woefully ignorant reply up, too.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 01:51 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Have you read the Koran and Hadith? It is not illogical to hate such a morally repugnant religion/ideology.

I am getting tired of idiots who know nothing about Islam except that it is cool to defend it. Grow the **** up. do you see what it inspires and teaches. Your words are empty bullshit.
mysteryman's response, like most others here, were related to your knowledgeable, intelligent claim about the relation of Islam and the Dark Ages ...
coldjoint

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 01:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Islam and the Dark Ages ...

Not one **** given Wally. There are plenty of historians who do agree. I guess they are on other forums.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:05 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Not one **** given Wally. There are plenty of historians who do agree. I guess they are on other forums
Just name a single one, please, who says that the Dark Ages started more than 200 years later than generally taught ... and thought.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Bill Warner.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The idea of the whole Middle Ages as a "dark age" actually comes from the early modern Renaissance and humanist movements.
They called the period between the Romans and the period they lived in (the early modern time) the medium aevum—the "ages in the middle," aka the Middle Ages.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:19 pm
@coldjoint,
Don't know him. He lectures Medieval history where? Can you give a link to some of his textbooks? Peer reviewed essays? (To my excuse: when I made my exam decades ago, I didn't use many American medieval historians as source.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(To my excuse: when I made my exam decades ago, I didn't use many American medieval historians as source.)
Well, of course Bryan Ward-Perkins' The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization is the standard work in these days. Bill Warner opposed it with what sources?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I really wonder how someone can overlook and neglect those rare written sources from the "Dark Ages" we actually have got.
Since the Muslims translated many of the Ancient Greek texts into Arabic, thus - in the middle of the 11th Century - scholars from all around Europe flocked to Spain to translate these books from Arabic into Latin. Gerardus Cremonensis (Gerard of Cremona) is one of those, who learnt Arabic in Spain ... He translated numerous works by the Arab scholars ...
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Don't know him.

Again, not one **** given. You asked for a name you got one. Is Islam doing enough damage for you now? That is what this is really about.

Islam has never accomplished one positive thing. It is intrusive and intolerant and extremely sexist and violent. And I am tired of women like you asking for what is really irrelevant garbage.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 03:04 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Again, not one **** given. You asked for a name you got one.
Actually I asked for the name of a historian and not that of some professor at a Technical School.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 03:10 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Islam has never accomplished one positive thing. It is intrusive and intolerant and extremely sexist and violent.
So why did (Christian!) European scholars flock to Moorish Spain, Byzantium, or the houses of learning in Baghdad during the early Middle Ages? And why has that what they learnt there been the influence and source of later European scholasticism, philosophy of science, logic ...?
mysteryman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:05 pm
@coldjoint,
Yes, I have read the Koran, and the Holy Bible and the Torah.
They have much in common.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Maybe the had some good federal grants that allowed travel to interesting places.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:25 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
Yes, I have read the Koran, and the Holy Bible and the Torah.

Only the Koran has made eternal war an obligation. And please list any Christian attacks, or Jewish similar to these that happen daily.
Quote:
Islam's Latest Contributions to Peace "Mohammed is God's apostle. Those who follow him are harsh
to the unbelievers but merciful to one another" Quran 48:29

2015.02.26 (Cairo, Egypt) - A person bleeds to death outside a pizzeria following a Religion of Peace bomb blast.
2015.02.24 (Logar, Afghanistan) - Four Taliban suicide bombers slaughter twenty local police officers.
2015.02.24 (Potiskum, Nigeria) - Seventeen bus passengers are torn to shreds by a teenaged suicide bomber.
2015.02.24 (Tripoli, Libya) - A female activist and her aunt are shot to death by suspected Islamists.
2015.02.23 (Damascus, Syria) - Twin suicide attacks on a Shia shrine claim the lives of six worshippers and guards.
2015.02.22 (Potiskum, Nigeria) - A child suicide bomber murders seven patrons at an outdoor market.

* Sources for individual incidents can be provided upon request.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Actually I asked for the name of a historian and not that of some professor at a Technical School.

Why can't he be both? Give it a rest Wally .
raprap

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 06:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Mathematics and Astronomy too. The geometric solutions of to certain algebraic polynominals were only partial. The geometric solutions had no mapping for negative numbers--the concept of digital numbers led to algebra, to negative numbers and the null concept of zero---Granted the Arabs were standing on the shoulders of the Greeks, and many monks praying in their cells made some significant corroberations.

Priests and Bedoins lying down in reason.

Rap