Five Reasons No Progressive Should Support Hillary Clinton

Thomas

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 11:38 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Publishing demands to pressure one's own party's presidential nominee is a Republican invention? Please, Evan Halper, you're dating yourself! Independently, why would you ask Newt Gingrich for howto-advice for Democrats to win elections?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 01:45 pm
In other news, Republican astroturf strategists are working on viral online campaigns to weaken Clinton in the primaries. Bobsal might just turn out to be a useful idiot of theirs.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/us/politics/the-right-aims-at-democrats-on-social-media-to-hit-clinton.html
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 06:01 am
@Thomas,
Shame on you. I don't like Hillary Clinton. I don't like any of the 24 idiots in the GOP clown car, either. If the choice is Hillary against anyone i the clown car I will vote and I have no internal debate in the least: I vote for Hilliary Clinton. And this helps the GOP how?
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 07:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
If the choice is Hillary against anyone i the clown car I will vote and I have no internal debate in the least: I vote for Hilliary Clinton.

Fair enough, but that's a step back from the sweeping language in the title of your thread.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
And this helps the GOP how?

In the same way as 24 GOP idiots damaging each other in the primaries benefits the Democrats in the federal election. The New York Times describes the principle in its article: "Conservative strategists and operatives say they are simply filling a vacuum on the far left, as well as applying the lesson they learned in 2012, when they watched in frustration as Mitt Romney was forced to expend time and resources in a protracted primary fight. By the time he secured his party’s nomination, President Obama hardly had to make the case that his opponent was a coldhearted plutocrat; Republicans like Newt Gingrich had already made the argument for him in the primaries."
revelette2

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 07:55 am
Media Ignore How Hillary Clinton's Policies Have Helped Address Income Inequality

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:18 am
@revelette2,

Hillary clinton has never been in a position to impliment policies to midigate income inequality.in fact she has never been in a position to create policy, she has been an advisor to the men who do and a rather inactive member of the Senate.

The media gets this one right by blowing off her peoples dishonest spin.
revelette2

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:29 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
As First Lady, Clinton Worked To Expand Health Care For Millions Of Children

Clinton Played "A Major Role" In Legislating State Children's Health Insurance Program. FactCheck.org reported that as First Lady, Clinton was a driving force for providing health insurance to millions of children through SCHIP, a government program that provided health insurance for uninsured children who did not qualify for Medicaid. FactCheck.org noted that Clinton played a "major role in translating the new law into action." [FactCheck.org, 3/18/08]

Clinton "Used Her Influence Behind The Scenes To Push For SCHIP." PolitiFact reported that Clinton's "behind the scenes" influence worked to push SCHIP through Congress:

Clinton is also on solid ground saying that she helped to create SCHIP. Much of the credit for SCHIP usually goes to Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., who shepherded the legislation through a Republican-controlled Congress. But the Clinton campaign has said previously that she used her influence behind the scenes to push for SCHIP, and there is evidence to support that.

Soon after the legislation passed, the New York Times reported, "Participants in the campaign for the health bill both on and off Capitol Hill said the first lady had played a crucial behind-the-scenes role in lining up White House support." [PolitiFact, 1/6/08]

As A Senator, Clinton Advocated For Policies Benefiting Low-Income Individuals

Senator Clinton sponsored and co-sponsored numerous bills that favored low-income Americans, including:

National Affordable House Trust Fund Act Of 2003. Clinton co-sponsored the National Affordable House Trust Fund Act, which supports low income housing by providing funds to communities to "build, preserve, and rehabilitate rental homes that are affordable for extremely and very low income households." [National Housing Trust Fund, accessed 5/17/15] [Thepoliticalguide.com, accessed 5/17/15]

Relief For Working Families Tax Act of 2003. Clinton co-sponsored the Relief for Working Families Tax Act, which supported a lower tax burden for families with children and "working families." [CCH Tax Briefing, 10/4/04] [Thepoliticalguide.com, accessed 5/17/15]

Overtime Compensation Protection Act of 2003. Clinton co-sponsored a bill to protect overtime compensation in 2003. The bill amended "the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA) to prohibit the Secretary of Labor from promulgating any regulation that has the effect of exempting from FLSA overtime compensation requirements (which limit maximum hours at regular compensation) any employee who is not otherwise exempted under regulations in effect on the date of enactment of this Act." [Thepoliticalguide.com, accessed 5/17/15]

Multiple Laws That Would Benefit Women, Children, And Low-Income Individuals. During her Senate tenure, Clinton co-sponsored bills to increase the minimum wage, a measure that would expand Social Security coverage to pregnant women, a bill to provide dental service to disadvantaged children, as well as a bill to provide education for homeless and foster children. Clinton also introduced the Food Insecurity Reduction Act of 2008 that would expand access to food stamps for low-income individuals. [Thepoliticalguide.com, accessed 5/17/15] [Govtrack.us, accessed 5/17/15]

Clinton Has Worked To Reduce Global Poverty And Improve Lives Through Health And Education

Hillary And Bill Clinton Established The Clinton Foundation In 2001. After Bill Clinton left office, he and Hillary Clinton worked to found their non-profit, the Clinton Foundation. The Foundation works globally "to improve global health and wellness, increase opportunity for women and girls, reduce childhood obesity, create economic opportunity and growth, and help communities address the effects of climate change." [ClintonFoundation.org, accessed 5/17/15]

Clinton Global Initiative Invests Billions In Global Development Projects. The Clinton Global initiative is an offshoot of the Clinton Foundation that secures funding for projects supporting global development initiatives, health projects, and other social good movements around the world. [ClintonFoundation.org, accessed 5/17/15]
Clinton Supported Raising Taxes On Upper-Income Americans Like Herself

Hillary Clinton Has Called For Raising Tax Rates On Upper-Income Americans. During her 2008 presidential campaign, Clinton proposed "return[ing] to the income tax rates for upper-income Americans that we had in the 1990s," a move which would impact the former first couple. From a May 2007 speech:

And when the president's irresponsible tax breaks for high-income Americans expire, we will return to the income tax rates for upper- income Americans that we had in the 1990s, rates that were consistent with a balanced budget and economic growth.

For middle-class Americans, who haven't seen their paychecks increase, let's keep the middle-class tax cuts and reform the alternative minimum tax in order to give middle-class Americans the tax relief they deserve to have. [American Presidency Project, 3/29/07]

From the same source as the post you uselessly responded to, links to facts embedded in the same source.

I have long admired her inititives on domestic issues, the real problem I have had with her was her hawkish stance on foreign issues, however, other than degrees, she not much different than Obama or other democrats on foreign issues.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:37 am
@revelette2,
According to that logic every actor or back stage worker in a movie is free to claim that they created to move.

No.

In trying to argue Hillarys experience they only highlight her lack of experience.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:41 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
the real problem I have had with her was her hawkish stance on foreign issues, however, other than degrees, she not much different than Obama or other democrats on foreign issues.

I have similar reservations. And I'll be happy to consider the corresponding plank in Bernie Sanders's agenda --- whenever his website does come up with an actual agenda, rather than just invitations to give him money and open our mailboxes to spam from his campaign.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:42 am
@revelette2,
Some of these guys are going to live miserable existences for the eight years Hillary is in office.

Poor chumps.
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:46 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
whenever his website does come up with an actual agenda, rather than just invitations to give him money and open our mailboxes to spam from his campaign.

On second thought, I was being too harsh here. Hillary Clinton's website, too, is lacking an agenda as of today.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 11:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Some of these guys are going to live miserable existences for the eight years Hillary is in office.

Poor chumps.

You are a partisan hack. The important thing is that we need great leaders yesterday, we have few, and none of the good ones want anything to do with Washington. Hillary is maybe a C level choice, which is not good enough.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 11:37 am
@hawkeye10,
I am not a hack at all, Hawk...and certainly not a partisan hack. I am an Independent...and will never register for any party.

I do think the integrity of the safety net programs that I consider more important to America than ever before in its existence...are better protected by the Dem's than the baron stooges of the R's.

Whatever Hillary is...she is head and shoulders better than anyone the R's are offering...so if she is the choice of the Dem's...I will enthusiastically vote for her.

I think she will win.

And whether things get better or worse for America and the world during her time in office...we will all be much better off than if the R candidate had won.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 11:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am an Independent

What was the last thing that your Right Wing golfing buddies were talking about re politics that you agreed with? How long ago did this happen?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 12:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I am an Independent

What was the last thing that your Right Wing golfing buddies were talking about re politics that you agreed with? How long ago did this happen?

Death penalty.

Last week.

Next question?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 01:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The republicans in congress are already pushing Obama to get involved in a war in Iraq so they can once again claim "we never started a war, its the democrates who start them. We just enable them through legislation".
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 03:13 pm
@Thomas,
AND I am a Reublican. Albeit one who's been forced to vote for Democratic candidates for Federal Office since I voted for GHW Bush in '92.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 03:18 pm
@Thomas,
She's trying to find away to attract progressives of both parties without losing her corporate campaign funding. She's a typical politician in that her major concern is always going to be about this upcoming election.

I think that is what has made the President a bit of a disappointment. He may not get TPP and we may get Keystone, anyway.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 03:40 pm
Hillary Clinton Answers Questions on Iraq, Emails, the Foundation and Wealth
Source: New York Times

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa — Hillary Rodham Clinton addressed reporters Tuesday, fielding questions on topics ranging from her personal wealth and her family’s foundation to the deteriorating situation in Iraq, saying at one point that she “made a mistake” as a United States senator in voting to authorize the war in Iraq.

Mrs. Clinton, who has been criticized for weeks by Republicans and members of the national news media for her unwillingness to engage with the political press corps, approached journalists and answered five questions after a round-table discussion in Cedar Falls focusing on small business creation.

“I am so proud of the foundation,” Mrs. Clinton said in response to a question about the controversy surrounding foreign donations to the Clinton Foundation. “I’ll let the American people make their own judgments.”

Mrs. Clinton also defended her relationship with Sidney Blumenthal, a longtime friend and confidant who was paid by the Clinton Foundation and offered her advice about the situation in Libya while she served as secretary of state.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/05/19/hillary-clinton-answers-questions-on-iraq-emails-the-foundation-and-wealth/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 03:51 pm
In "Hard Choices", HRC ENDORSED the TPP. So we actually do know her position

She's just playing political games with her "reserving judgment" line. Her book was written after she left the State Department. She should have the guts to come out with her position, instead of pretending that she's reserving judgment.

I'm interested in hearing how she really is reserving judgment and she's evolving or whatever the defense/excuse is.

<snip>

She argued for TPP as secretary of state and in her 2014 memoir, "Hard Choices" but has been noncommittal since. She has said on this issue only that "any trade deal has to produce jobs and raise wages and increase prosperity and protect our security, and we have to do our part in making sure we have the capabilities and the skills to be competitive."

<snip>

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/10-questions-for-hillary-clinton/

<snip>

Yet, previously as secretary of state, Clinton called the Trans-Pacific Partnership the "gold standard in trade agreements." In her second memoir, Hard Choices, released in 2014, Clinton lauded the deal, saying it "would link markets throughout Asia and the americas, lowering trade barriers while raising standards on labor, the environment, and intellectual property." She even said it was "important for American workers, who would benefit from competing on a more level playing field." She also called it "a strategic initiative that would strengthen the position of the United States in Asia."

<snip>

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/04/21/401123124/a-timeline-of-hillary-clintons-evolution-on-trade