Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 04:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
What Greek textes were in your opinion inaccurate?

All of them:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textus_Receptus

UBS5/NA28 is far far superior:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novum_Testamentum_Graece

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Generally it is said that there are mistakes in the (English) translation of the Greek textes.

There were those kinds of errors as well.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
To what Hebrew/Aramaic original do you refer that the Greek version mistranslated?

The Xtian Bible was originally written entirely in Greek. I regard non-Greek Biblical sources as inaccurate sources. I think the Xtian Old Testament should be translated from the Septuagint.
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 04:47 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
There were thousands of books and manuscripts dating back to antiquity that were available to the translators of the King James version that are no longer in existence today.
These translators had read/studied these books, many were written in Arabic, Latin, Greek and Hebrew, many of these writings referenced texts that are no longer available today. Lost forever.

The notion that people 400 years ago had a superior translation capability is speculation that might not even be true.

But even if the King James Version is a superior translation, it is a superior translation of inaccurate documents.

I much prefer a translation of accurate documents.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 04:58 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
As I said, you can use reference books to trace every single (non italic) word in the King James Bible back to their Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew counterparts.
What more do you need?

An accurate translation of an accurate source document would be nice.

TheCobbler wrote:
As for the English words chosen to represent the ancient tongues, when you compare different translations, there is very minor variation between them.
You can get pretty much the same meaning from them other than not having any indicator which we words were added.

Sometimes the differences mean something.

Here is Genesis 1, 20-26 from the King James Version. The red text is often used to justify humans doing whatever they want to the environment:

20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Now here is the same from the NRSV:

20 And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the dome of the sky." 21 So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, of every kind, with which the waters swarm, and every winged bird of every kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth." 23 And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.
24 And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind: cattle and creeping things and wild animals of the earth of every kind." And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals of the earth of every kind, and the cattle of every kind, and everything that creeps upon the ground of every kind. And God saw that it was good.
26 Then God said, "Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth."

Because some ancient scribe skipped a word, what was meant to be "dominion over all the beasts of the earth" became "dominion over all the earth". And that error was then used to provide Biblical justification for polluting the environment.

But because of modern scholarship, there is no justification for doing whatever we want to the environment in the NRSV.
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:22 pm
If you're not watching Trump's nightly Coronavirus shitfest, here's the summary:
He started out by accusing nurses of hoarding or stealing face masks.
Trump: "There is something going on. I don't know if it is hoarding. It is maybe worse than hoarding ... for years, 10 to 20,000 masks. Okay. It's a New York City hospital. It's packed all the time. How do you go from 10 to 20 to 300,000? 10 to 20,000 masks, to 300,000 ... even though this is different. Something is going on. And you ought to look into it as reporters. Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door? How do you go from 10,000 to 300,000? Uh, and we have that in a lot of different places. So ... somebody should probably look into that, 'cause I just don't see from a practical standpoint how that's possible to go from that to that, and we have that happening in numerous places..."
He then accused hospitals of "hoarding" ventilators.
He does this several times throughout the briefing, Suggesting New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, and medical personnel, specifically nurses, are conspiring to overinflate the number of ventilators and masks needed.
Again, he does this more than once.
Trump then admits there actually ARE shortages, but blames Obama. Saying that it's like how the military was out of bullets when he took over. None of this has any basis in reality whatsoever, but the toadies in the background are all nodding like this is fact.
This is beyond gaslighting.
This is a radioactive gas cloud.
This is like watching the Soviet government press briefings about Chernobyl, when the reactor was still burning and the Russians didn't realize we could actually SEE it from orbit and that radiation meters were sounding the alarm over half the planet.
Trump then talks about immigrants and how keeping them out of America probably prevented us from getting the plague and everybody behind him has this carefully practiced expressionless Soviet face on, and then bizarrely Trump randomly pivots to explaining how he didn't know until TODAY that 2.2 MILLION AMERICANS will likely die if we don't maintain social distancing -- even though that number was specifically briefed IN FRONT of him two weeks ago on national TV.
Naturally, now that Trump is suddenly aware of the probability of 2.2 MILLION DEATHS, he never said he was going to order America back to work by Easter. That was, uh, um, well, you see, um, just "aspirational."
The man who always speaks bluntly, is suddenly talking in metaphor and parable.
A QANN "reporter" asks Trump why his approval ratings are so high, is it because he's so awesome? Trump admits that he is.
Someone else asks about Americans facing eviction on April 1st. Trump says "I think landlords will take it easy."
Trump goes after reporter Yacmiche Alcindor for daring to ask about his repeated attacks on various governors. Trump angrily says, "We sent thousands of generators to New York ... the people in New York never distribute it the generators."
It takes a minute to figure out that when Trump says "generators" he probably means "ventilators." He does this repeatedly.
A reporter asks why Florida has 100% of their requests for supplies from the national strategic stockpile filled, but Massachusetts has not? Instead of answering, Trump says: "I was on the call yesterday with the governors and they were happy with the job we are doing."
The governors, who he noted the day before, he refuses to call. He was on the phone with them. They're happy he says, despite the fact that he was just this morning talking about how they're not happy and they should be.
Trump then segues into: "The biggest problem was the test didn't work. That was not from us. That has been there a long time" and suggests that the fault lies with Obama.
The tests in question were developed by the CDC, WITHIN THE LAST 3 MONTHS. Literally since the beginning of THIS year. Obama has been out of office for nearly 4 years now.
Then, bizarrely -- or not, given that this the new normal -- Trump says: "You will see drugs being used like nobody has ever used them before, and people are going to be dying all over the place."
I thought at first he was talking about his repeated claims about untested drugs as a cure for the coronavirus. You know, aquarium cleaner. But, instead, he was talking about drug ABUSE. Not sure by who, but you can probably guess. You know what happens when "those" people stay home with nothing to do.
A CNN reporter tries to get Trump back to his comments about the governors of blue states having to be more "appreciative." Trump screams at him, "YOUR STATEMENT IS A LIE!"
The reporter was LITERALLY quoting Trump's own statement.
Literally quoting Trump.
Trump called those words a lie. I mean, he's not wrong, but still...
As proof of this, Trump starts bragging about how his press briefings are getting better ratings than The Bachelor and Monday Night Football.
"The enemy is death," declares Trump.
And we're done. Thanks for coming everybody. Hope to see you all tomorrow for another exciting episode of "Reality TV President!"
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:56 pm
@oralloy,
Swarms of living creatures?

Do all living creatures "swarm"? Swarms of cows and goats?

And what is the Hebrew word behind the word "swarms"?

Well, you cannot tell because there is no concordance written for this version. So there is no number that can trace you back to the precise word they translated that word "swarms" from...

So your guess is as good as mine.

Across the dome of the sky? (That just simply sounds stupid.) (And, wouldn't a dome imply the earth is round? Did they know it was round back then?)

And god created sea monsters? (and boogie men, things that go bump in the night and scary scary ogres!)

Dominion over all the earth is actually translated properly...

The word earth is used hundreds of times in the Bible
and each time it can have one of two meanings or imply both. The created earth or the inhabited earth.

It would seem that humanity has dominion over both the inhabited earth and the created earth.

Every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth (uhh, this includes all the wild animals too... Why say it twice?)

We may one day even have dominion over the sun, galaxies and the entire universe, if the republicans and their corporate greed do not kill us off first.

John 10:10 (KJV)
He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Comment:
The ancient Greek word behind all three English words translated as "world" in the verse is: κόσμῳ (kosmō)

But is is clear by the verse that one word "world" is referring to "the created world" and another "world" is referring to "the inhabited world".

Yet behind these words is the exact same Greek word: κόσμῳ (kosmō)

Likewise, God gave dominion over the created earth and the inhabited earth to humanity.

In this regard your supposition falls to shreds. Besides there being no way to trace the words back to their origin, besides, the wording sounds like a 3 year old wrote it.

Monsters?
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:12 pm
@TheCobbler,
Correction, that was John 1:10 and not John 10:10...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:14 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Dominion over all the earth is actually translated properly...

A proper translation of an inaccurate source is not terribly useful.

Instead of properly translating "dominion over all the earth" they should have been properly translating "dominion over all the beasts of the earth".
TheCobbler

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 01:07 am
@oralloy,
The Bible versions you site were also translated from the Hebrew Scriptures not the Septuagint.

The suggestion of translating a Hebrew book from a Greek translation of that books is preposterous.

One can always take the Greek translation into consideration but the Hebrew source should take priority over the Greek when it comes to discrepancies.

As for the word "earth" in Genesis...

Genesis 1:26
New American Standard Bible: 1995
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Comment:
That is almost identical to the KJV...

That word "earth" in both instances in that verse is the Hebrew word: eh'-rets ...and it means "land" not, "wild animals".

Without a directive to rule the earth people would still have ruled it.

The New testament says, "judge not lest ye be judged" but we still have judges and courts of law don't we? Are we just gonna let criminals roam the earth unimpeded?

Humanity will subdue domain over the earth with or without permission from God.

David Lake, Senior Analyst, BA Mathematics wrote:
The only English translation of the Bible that follows the Septuagint text is the Orthodox Study Bible. Outside of that, if you want to read an English translation of the Septuagint, you have to actually pick it up as separate volume (like Brenton’s Septuagint).

No mainstream English translations are based on the Septuagint.

As for people destroying the earth, I didn't see you crying crocodile tears when Trump opened our national monuments and public lands to be strip mined by his rich greedy capitalist cronies...

Your fine with murdering animals but oh, the land is sacred?

Your brain is a walking contradiction.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 02:55 am
@oralloy,
The "Ur-Bible" was not only written in various languages (see my above post)
but of course translated not only into English but also into other modern languages.

I think that in translations it is always sensible to choose one that has not been translated via ten detours, but directly.
A translation that strictly adheres to the original Greek text, for example, and does not attempt to smooth out stylistic peculiarities, leads to quite unusual results in syntax and choice of words.

Two tools "to play around the bible" are Scriptures4all and e-sword - the sword of the Lord with an electronic edge.

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 08:01 pm
https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5b0338e1ea55d1047a3d10c8/master/w_2560%2Cc_limit/Borowitz-TrumpFBIInformant.jpg
Trump Says He Has No Idea Who F.B.I. Informant Might Be
“I’ve been trying to figure out who would have the opportunity and the motive to do something like this,” Trump said. “But I keep coming up empty.”
By Andy Borowitz

0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 08:07 pm
America’s Teachers Urge Trump to Use Time at Home to Repeat First Grade
The plan faced dissent from some of the nation’s teachers, who felt strongly that he should first repeat kindergarten.
By Andy Borowitz
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 08:53 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
The suggestion of translating a Hebrew book from a Greek translation of that books is preposterous.
One can always take the Greek translation into consideration but the Hebrew source should take priority over the Greek when it comes to discrepancies.

I strongly disagree. The sources for these translations come from a period where there was a rivalry between "the group of Jews that we would call the very first Christians" and "the group of Jews that were ancestors of what we call Judaism today". The two groups wrote their Old Testament* books slightly differently.

"The group of Jews that we would call the very first Christians" wrote the Old Testament in a way that favored a Christian interpretation of the stories. And they wrote their books in Greek.

"The group of Jews that were ancestors of what we call Judaism today" wrote the Old Testament* in a way that impeded a Christian interpretation of the stories. And they wrote their books in Hebrew and Aramaic.

It's like the Protestant and Catholic Bibles a few centuries ago. Each flavor had a bias towards their respective religion.

If I were suggesting sources for a Jewish holy book, I would not hesitate to recommend Hebrew and Aramaic sources to translate from. However, I think it is absurd to introduce an anti-Christian bias into a holy book written for Christians.

* I realize that Jews don't call it the Old Testament. I just wanted to be consistent in my use of terms so it would be clear what I am referring to.

TheCobbler wrote:
As for the word "earth" in Genesis...

Genesis 1:26
New American Standard Bible: 1995
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Comment:
That is almost identical to the KJV...

That word "earth" in both instances in that verse is the Hebrew word: eh'-rets ...and it means "land" not, "wild animals".

These versions translate the Old Testament from an inaccurate source.

NASB95 is a very good translation of that inaccurate source however. There is a phrase in the Old Testament that NASB95 manages to convey accurately, that every other English language translation muddles into incomprehensible gibberish. I don't remember what it is now, so I can't cite the phrase. But I remember being pretty impressed when I compared their handling of the phrase to the way that all the others handle it.

NASB95 uses an extremely good source for the New Testament. Considering the quality of the source and the quality of the translation, it is probably the best English language New Testament in existence. I confess though that I've not taken notice of translations made in the past ten years or so. If a newer version has surpassed it, I am unaware.

TheCobbler wrote:
Without a directive to rule the earth people would still have ruled it.

The New testament says, "judge not lest ye be judged" but we still have judges and courts of law don't we? Are we just gonna let criminals roam the earth unimpeded?

Humanity will subdue domain over the earth with or without permission from God.

Maybe so. But those inaccuracies are still being used to justify it.

David Lake, Senior Analyst, BA Mathematics wrote:
The only English translation of the Bible that follows the Septuagint text is the Orthodox Study Bible. Outside of that, if you want to read an English translation of the Septuagint, you have to actually pick it up as separate volume (like Brenton's Septuagint).

No mainstream English translations are based on the Septuagint.

"I'm not terribly interested in reading the Bible. But if I was, I think I'd go to the Orthodox translations for my Old Testament."
https://able2know.org/topic/355218-3283#post-6793387

"I think that the best Christian Old Testaments are the translations published by the Orthodox faith."
https://able2know.org/topic/355218-3286#post-6793835

TheCobbler wrote:
As for people destroying the earth, I didn't see you crying crocodile tears when Trump opened our national monuments and public lands to be strip mined by his rich greedy capitalist cronies...

Your fine with murdering animals but oh, the land is sacred?

Your brain is a walking contradiction.

You do realize that "what you imagine my positions are" are not "my actual positions"?
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 09:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I think that in translations it is always sensible to choose one that has not been translated via ten detours, but directly.

That's why I think that a Christian Old Testament should be translated directly from Greek. That is the original Christian Old Testament.

That said, if modern humanity could somehow acquire an original copy of the scrolls from the First Temple under King Josiah, and an original copy of the scrolls from the early days of the Second Temple, I'd be tempted to change my mind.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
A translation that strictly adheres to the original Greek text, for example, and does not attempt to smooth out stylistic peculiarities, leads to quite unusual results in syntax and choice of words.

How so?
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 09:11 pm
Professional homophobe Alex Jones booked on drunk driving charges after allegedly beating his wife
https://www.queerty.com/professional-homophobe-alex-jones-booked-drunk-driving-charges-allegedly-beating-wife-20200311
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 09:14 pm
@oralloy,
You positions are so misinformed that you don't even know them.

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 09:18 pm
@TheCobbler,
That is incorrect. All of my positions are informed and accurate.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 09:24 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:

Professional homophobe Alex Jones booked on drunk driving charges after allegedly beating his wife

I heard Joy Reid posted his bail.
snood

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 09:35 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

I heard Joy Reid posted his bail.

What does that even mean?
coldjoint

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 09:37 pm
@snood,
Quote:
What does that even mean?

It means Joy Reid is helping her fellow homophobe.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 09:39 pm
@oralloy,
You are not giving any reason why you think a Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures would be more precise than translating the Hebrew Scriptures themselves?

You fault King James saying translators today are better than they were back then then you pick the Greek Septuagint implying the ancient Greek translators are better than ours today...

The chances of a translation of a translation being more accurate than the translation from the original is extremely low.

There is a wealth of ancient Jewish manuscripts with which to compare modern translations with and the Greek can surely be taken into consideration also.

But the most accurate translations would come directly from the Hebrew.

The old testament Hebrew Scriptures are a document that has remained unchanged for thousands of years.

Your stance on the Greek translations seem antisemitic, I would not doubt that with the low-life KKK republican scum you associate with...

You site no real convincing examples so it must be racism that fuels your prejudice...

I would also venture that any discrepancies between documents translated from the Greek rather than the Hebrew, the documents translated from the Hebrew would probably be correct on all counts.

The French call a potato a, "pomme de terre" (translated apple of the earth).

If you are expecting a potato, you might just get an apple instead...