Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:19 pm
@oralloy,
You realize in your previous post you were appealing to authority as what people with high iqs do.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:20 pm
@oralloy,
Ha.
oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:27 pm
@MontereyJack,
You cannot provide any examples of me posting about something that I am not knowledgeable about.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You realize in your previous post you were appealing to authority as what people with high iqs do.

That is incorrect. Relying on expertise in day-to-day life is not a logical fallacy.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:40 pm
@TheCobbler,
Can anyone know the meaning of words that were spoken 2 or 3 thousand years ago. Look at how much meaning has changed in just 200 years,
oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:48 pm
@RABEL222,
Yes, people can in fact know this. There are people who devote their lives to studying this sort of thing.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:51 pm
@oralloy,
Πάντα ῥεῖ, as they say.
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 12:54 am
@coldjoint,
I will quote a source, "the King James Bible".

I am not relying on what an "expert says about it" but what it says about itself.

I can show you thousands of ancient Greek words, they are behind every word and phrase in the King James Bible. Many of them I have studied in-depth (Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew). Some are words that are not very rich in meaning like: is, and, but, are... and some are a treasure trove of understanding. Like déxomai and lambano (GR). These words both mean "to receive" but there is a subtle difference between them that is very important in understanding how and what we "receive"...

You can look up each English word and find out which ancient text it was taken from and which word each word was translated from.

This is not possible with many of the other "translations" because exhaustive concordances have not been compiled and published for them, tracing every word back to the Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew, this is impossible with many translations. These "modern" translations do nothing but disconnect you from the ancient texts (is this on purpose?) ... Besides, they were not all translated by many renowned experts from the world over like the King James Bible was. Many modern translations were translated by quacks and frauds, "no experts from all over the world" were called in and parts were added and changed to suit their wacky agenda.. Perhaps this is true with the King James Bible also but at least you can check their work by tracing every single translated word back to the ancient copies yourself.

I don't need it translated into American slang by idiots so other idiots can understand. The KJV has extraneous books that trace the words, similar to tables of numbers, that allow you trace every single word back to the ancient texts that the verses were translated from and see what word is behind each "Old English" word...

This is why most experts STILL use the King James Bible to study words.

I happen to own these exhaustive concordances and have used them for years since I was very young to do countless word studies.

I am familiar with many ancient words off the top of my head but I have books that give me access to every single ancient Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew word used in the Bible, interlinears, lexicons and concordances etc...

I have mentioned that I am ordained clergy, I have over 10 years of deeply intensive study, that makes me a doctor of theology. I cannot read ancient Greek fluently because I have expertise in other areas also i.e. historical, biblical thought, geography, memorization and recall and knowledge of spiritual matters that go way beyond what most people (even most experts) are aware of.

I was taught by "experts" to study the book for myself and not rely on them or others to do it for me.

The expert that I use to study the Bible is, "the Bible itself" (not Google)... lol Not only the English words but the words behind them.

THAT is the first part of "the process".

If you are listening to experts rather than studying the book yourself then than you are easily misled and not connected to the fountain/source of the writings. Hmmm, easily misled...

I will continue this conversation in my "What Is Evangelism" thread.
https://able2know.org/topic/435623-1

Please continue with the politics peeps. Smile
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 12:55 am
@RABEL222,
Learning the meaning of these ancient words is part of, "the process"...
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 12:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I like that Walter. Smile
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:03 am
2 Peter 1:20 (KJV)
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Comment:
If we are not supposed to "privately interpret" the scripture then how are we to interpret them? Ask an "exert" so they can "privately interpret" them for us?

There is an answer to this dilemma...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:55 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
I can show you thousands of ancient Greek words, they are behind every word and phrase in the King James Bible.

Inaccurate Greek words, since the King James Bible is a translation of an inaccurate Greek text.

TheCobbler wrote:
Besides, they were not all translated by many renowned experts from the world over like the King James Bible was. Many modern translations were translated by quacks and frauds, "no experts from all over the world" were called in and parts were added and changed to suit their wacky agenda..

So pick a modern translation that is in fact competently done.

How about NRSV?

Or NASB95?

TheCobbler wrote:
I don't need it translated into American slang by idiots so other idiots can understand.

I never said anything about translating into slang. I spoke of an accurate translation.

TheCobbler wrote:
This is why most experts STILL use the King James Bible to study words.

People who use a translation as low quality as the King James Bible are not experts. The seventeenth century is over. This is the 21st century.

TheCobbler wrote:
I was taught by "experts" to study the book for myself and not rely on them or others to do it for me.
The expert that I use to study the Bible is, "the Bible itself" (not Google)... lol Not only the English words but the words behind them.

Studying an inaccurate version of the Bible isn't studying the real Bible.
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:56 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Learning the meaning of these ancient words is part of, "the process"...

Scholars today have a better understanding of what some of those words mean than the people who created the King James Bible did.

That's on top of the fact that the King James Bible is a translation of a Greek text that is today understood to be inaccurate.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:30 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
That's on top of the fact that the King James Bible is a translation of a Greek text that is today understood to be inaccurate.
In the King James Version the New Testament was translated from Greek, the Old Testament from Hebrew and Aramaic, and the Apocrypha from Greek and Latin.

What Greek textes were in your opinion inaccurate? Generally it is said that there are mistakes in the (English) translation of the Greek textes.
To what Hebrew/Aramaic original do you refer that the Greek version mistranslated?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:17 am
hightor wrote:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmcshowblog.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F08%2Fdumpsterfire.jpg%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D404&f=1&nofb=1
coldjoint

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:14 am
@Region Philbis,
Looks like the upcoming Democratic convention.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 03:39 pm
@oralloy,
The King James Version is the only version of the Bible that puts in italic the words that were "added" by the translators. The other versions do not bear any indication where words have been added.

Are you okay with words being added to your Bible? Are you okay with thousands of words being added and no way to tell which ones when reading it?

If you will notice, every single King James Bible has thousands of words in italic. No other Bible translation does this.

It would appear your attention to detail is diminished with other versions from the get-go.

As I said, you can use reference books to trace every single (non italic) word in the King James Bible back to their Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew counterparts.

What more do you need?

As for the English words chosen to represent the ancient tongues, when you compare different translations, there is very minor variation between them.

You can get pretty much the same meaning from them other than not having any indicator which we words were added.

If you have a copy of a King James Version go look, there are thousands of words in italic. These words were added by the translators....

Where are the italic words in your version? Your version has thousands of added words also that are not in any ancient text...

That alone is a deal-breaker for me.
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 03:53 pm
@oralloy,
Oralloy wrote:
Scholars today have a better understanding of what some of those words mean than the people who created the King James Bible did.

That is not necessarily true.

There were thousands of books and manuscripts dating back to antiquity that were available to the translators of the King James version that are no longer in existence today.

These translators had read/studied these books, many were written in Arabic, Latin, Greek and Hebrew, many of these writings referenced texts that are no longer available today. Lost forever.

Thousands of research books have disappeared since then leaving no trace of their existence.

The writers of these books had access to ancient manuscripts that have vanished over time.

That is like saying a history written hundreds of years after an event is more trustworthy than eye witness accounts...
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 04:15 pm
So, so if the Bible says we are not supposed to interpret it ourselves and we are not supposed to rely on the interpretations of other "experts".

How do we solve this riddle? How do we obtain an interpretation of the words?

The answer is: We let the scripture interpret itself.

How is that done?

This is the next step in "the process"...

How does the scripture interpret itself?
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 04:23 pm
Hint: Here is an ancient Greek word for you: ὀρθοτομέω

Transliteration: orthotomeó

Smile
0 Replies