Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 09:54 pm
@coldjoint,
You are comparing a woman who has apologized for a few disparaging remarks about gays many years ago, with a white supremacist, wife beating drunk that is as unrepentant as ****?

Like comparing Hillary with Trump.

You scales of justice are warped and mangled.

Anyone who was once religious for a time was indoctrinated with anti-gay crap. Even gays have been anti-gay trying to fit in with religion.

Some of us (including many non gays) progressed above that and some still drink and drive, beat their wives then go vote for Trump and attack the character of good upstanding black women to appease their twisted racist conscience...

Your comparison is mean-spirited and disingenuous. Uhhh, like Alex Jones...

Keep defending your tripe... You are sinking lower into the sewer of your party's crap.

How about Rachel Maddow? Why don't you compare her to Hitler?

Hitler had black hair too!
snood

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 10:09 pm
@TheCobbler,
Good luck reasoning with that...person.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 10:34 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
disparaging remarks about gays many years ago,

And Kavanaugh and what he did in high school? No, this really happened. If Trump said things 20 years ago would you hold it against him? You are a first class hypocrite.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 10:52 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
That's why I think that a Christian Old Testament should be translated directly from Greek. That is the original Christian Old Testament.
After centuries of exclusively oral tradition, the writings of the Old Testament were gradually written in Hebrew.
In the centuries following the destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD, Jewish scholars fixed the form of the text in minute detail. The Hebrew text edited in this way is called the "Masoretic Text" because in its present form it is based on the tradition of Jewish scholars ("Masorites") called "Masora". It is still the basis for the translation of the Old Testament today.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2020 10:53 pm
@oralloy,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A translation that strictly adheres to the original Greek text, for example, and does not attempt to smooth out stylistic peculiarities, leads to quite unusual results in syntax and choice of words.
How so?[/quote]Well, read just some.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 01:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Is oral tradition the same as telling embellished stories? How accurate can the bible be based on oral tradition?
TheCobbler

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 07:30 pm
The Secret Service signed an 'emergency order' this week — for 30 golf carts
https://news.yahoo.com/secret-signed-emergency-order-week-135907032.html

The Secret Service signed an "emergency order" this week to rent $45,000-worth of golf carts in the town of Sterling, Virginia, where President Trump has a golf course, The Washington Post reports. The 30-cart fleet, which the Secret Service is renting through the end of September, was described as being necessary in order to protect a "dignitary," although the president was not explicitly referenced by name.

Surprisingly, while many nonessential businesses around the country have closed to prevent the spread of disease, Virginia's Trump National Golf Club remains open. Gov. Ralph Northam (D) allowed for golf courses to continue to operate so long as golfers keep a six-foot distance from others. The Virginia club is a favorite of the president's; he has visited it 76 times since taking office, most recently in October.

The Post notes that Trump has not played golf since March 8, when there were still only about 500 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the U.S. and 21 deaths, most of which were concentrated at a nursing home in Washington State. In a statement, Secret Service spokesperson Cathy Milhoan clarified that the "emergency" contract referred specifically to "a need for expedited handling of the procurement due to deadlines within the agency's business processes." Read more at The Washington Post.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:09 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
You are not giving any reason why you think a Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures would be more precise than translating the Hebrew Scriptures themselves?

That is incorrect. I gave such a reason.

The sources for these translations come from a period where there was a rivalry between "the group of Jews that we would call the very first Christians" and "the group of Jews that were ancestors of what we call Judaism today". The two groups wrote their Old Testament* books slightly differently.

"The group of Jews that we would call the very first Christians" wrote the Old Testament in a way that favored a Christian interpretation of the stories. And they wrote their books in Greek.

"The group of Jews that were ancestors of what we call Judaism today" wrote the Old Testament* in a way that impeded a Christian interpretation of the stories. And they wrote their books in Hebrew and Aramaic.

It's like the Protestant and Catholic Bibles a few centuries ago. Each flavor had a bias towards their respective religion.

If I were suggesting sources for a Jewish holy book, I would not hesitate to recommend Hebrew and Aramaic sources to translate from. However, I think it is absurd to introduce an anti-Christian bias into a holy book written for Christians.

* I realize that Jews don't call it the Old Testament. I just wanted to be consistent in my use of terms so it would be clear what I am referring to.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
After centuries of exclusively oral tradition, the writings of the Old Testament were gradually written in Hebrew.

Like I said earlier, if modern humanity could somehow acquire an original copy of the scrolls from the First Temple under King Josiah, and an original copy of the scrolls from the early days of the Second Temple, it would be pretty interesting to see what they say.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
In the centuries following the destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD, Jewish scholars fixed the form of the text in minute detail. The Hebrew text edited in this way is called the "Masoretic Text" because in its present form it is based on the tradition of Jewish scholars ("Masorites") called "Masora". It is still the basis for the translation of the Old Testament today.

It's not the basis for Orthodox Christian Old Testaments.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, read just some.

Are you referring to the fact that Greek sentences are structured differently than English sentences?

That problem is easily surmounted. Translators simply rewrite the sentence structure to conform to whatever language they are translating to.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 12:22 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Is oral tradition the same as telling embellished stories?

No more than written tradition.

RABEL222 wrote:
How accurate can the bible be based on oral tradition?

Archaeology and history confirm that the Bible is generally accurate back to around 900 BC.

Archaeology and history also confirm some elements of the Bible from before 900 BC. For example it is pretty clear that Saul and David were real historical figures. Also, the Hebrew deity is noted in records as early as 1400 BC, and the Israelite people are noted in records as early as 1200 BC. Archaeology also notes their presence as early as 1200 BC.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 11:21 am
@oralloy,
No way I would believe one word you utter. Your a lying trumpie fox news bjgot.
oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 03:26 pm
@RABEL222,
@RABEL222,
Your refusal to accept reality only makes you look silly.

You cannot provide any examples of anything untrue in my posts.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 11:05 pm
Trump Practicing Distancing from All His Prior Statements About the Coronavirus
“As of today, I will be keeping a great distance between myself and anything I said in January, February, and March,” the President announced.
By Andy Borowitz
coldjoint

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 11:16 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:

What have the media and Democrats done? They have conveniently forgotten what they said. DiBlasio compared it to a cold. NY health officials told NYers they were low risk.

The media forgets they called the virus Chinese before calling Trump a racist.
Your article is another ridiculous exercise in hypocrisy.

glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 11:18 pm
@TheCobbler,
Have you read "Misquoting Jesus"? Very very informative.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 11:20 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

What have the media and Democrats done? They have conveniently forgotten what they said. DiBlasio compared it to a cold. NY health officials told NYers they were low risk.

The media forgets they called the virus Chinese before calling Trump a racist.
Your article is another ridiculous exercise in hypocrisy.

Sometimes we are all in awe of your genius way of sorting out issues.....OK, not yet, but at some point I'm confident you will offer some genius viewpoint.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 11:28 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Sometimes we are all in awe of your genius way of sorting out issues.....OK, not yet, but at some point I'm confident you will offer some genius viewpoint.

Still trolling? There is nothing of substance in that post, is there?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2020 11:59 pm
@coldjoint,
Maybe not, but come on Skippy, do you ever post anything of substance????? Snarky ain't substance, and you really stink at snarky.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2020 12:31 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
do you ever post anything of substance?

All the time. My posts are available at my profile page.
0 Replies