Rush Limbaugh divorces his third wife

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:12 pm
No we'll leave the compassion, understanding, and open mindedness to you D;artagnan.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:50 pm
Thanks, Foxfyre, I'll do what I can. (And continue to refrain from earning my keep by telling the rest of the world how to lead virtuous lives...)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:11 pm
mysteryman wrote:
One thing I did see in the story,it said that Rush had NOT been charged with any crime,regarding the pills he was on.
I guess that hurts all of you that are saying he is a criminal,doesnt it?

Just working out what kind of a criminal he is...

Quote:
At the same time, West Palm Beach prosecutors announced they were investigating whether Limbaugh illegally went “doctor shopping” to obtain the pills. The practice refers to visiting several doctors to receive duplicate prescriptions of controlled narcotics.

13 June
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:26 am
Foxfyre wrote:
No we'll leave the compassion, understanding, and open mindedness to you D;artagnan.

Actually, these guys would have gotten plenty of "compassion, understanding and open mindedness" from all of us if they demonstrated those traits to all the people they've torn apart in their broadcasts.

But seeing how the double standard applies to them and no one else, I for one find it absolutely hilarious to see these hollow heros crash and burn.

Anyone want to take bets on the next one to fall? I'm thinking that it would be funny as hell if Hannity or O'Reilly were to be arrested for soliciting a black homosexual prostitute while in the middle of a cocaine purchase somewhere on Rodeo Drive or in Brooklyn.

The sound of millions of hardcore conservative brains exploding across the country at the same time upon hearing the news would be pretty amazing.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:18 am
I'm glad to see so many democrats criticizing Rush and condemning him. Guess everyone thinks he should have no credibility now that he has been proven to be more than human. And of course now all us conservatives should ignore him as being irrelavent. Right?

(By the way, I am not a Rush listener, although I have caught his show now and then)

Now before you are too quick to jump on condemning Rush, I have a question. And I do think it is relavent to bring this up. Were you all also quick to say that Clinton should be less believable because he perjured himself in court and because he lied to the American public on live TV? I am not trying to pick on Clinton here, just pointing out the hypocrisy that is so rampant (often on both sides, btw).

I don't see the point in pointing fingers at others and trying to lesson their message simply because they too have failed at something. I've always heard that pointing a finger at someone is dangerous because there are always 3 other fingers pointing right back at you.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:39 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Guess everyone thinks he should have no credibility now that he has been proven to be more than human. And of course now all us conservatives should ignore him as being irrelavent. Right?

No, my point is that his being knocked off his high horse will give himself and his "ditto dimwits" a healthy dose of reality. I dont' like Rush, but I've listened to his show enough times to be amazed at the "holier than thou" way he explains everything. Apparently, he's God's gift to the world, and those that worship him only feed into his bloated ego.

CoastalRat wrote:
Were you all also quick to say that Clinton should be less believable because he perjured himself in court and because he lied to the American public on live TV? I am not trying to pick on Clinton here, just pointing out the hypocrisy that is so rampant (often on both sides, btw). .

I don't think you quite get my point. Rush spends hours on the air everyday tearing other people down and gassing himself up. If Clinton did the same, I'd say the same thing about him. As they say, "People who live in glass houses..."

CoastalRat wrote:
I don't see the point in pointing fingers at others and trying to lesson their message simply because they too have failed at something. I've always heard that pointing a finger at someone is dangerous because there are always 3 other fingers pointing right back at you.

What made me post the thread is that Rush didn't just fail, he failed spectacularly. He talked sh*t about people who are addicted to drugs and also about other people's marriage. What happens to him? He gets addicted to drugs himself (and in quantities that amazed even doctors), and now his third marriage is kaput. Its like, karma, man. And still, his followers can't find any fault in the man. Its amazing.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, drug addiction is bad. Divorce is no picnic. But it happening to this prick is just fine with me.
As for finger pointing, I say point away.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:42 am
If Rush were anything more than an entertainer, I might actually care about any of this.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:47 am
He certainly is more than an entertainer - he acts as a demagogue for the GOP, every day.

He says the things that other members of his party think, but cannot say for political reasons. He has no such restrictions.

It is just another example of hypocracy from those who scream about the sanctity of mairrage, until it comes time for them to end theirs...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:49 am
He entertains like minded people. He makes no policy, he makes no decisions, he is an entertainer. That's it.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:52 am
McGentrix wrote:
If Rush were anything more than an entertainer, I might actually care about any of this.

McG, Rush is definitely more than an entertainer. He actively works to promote a particular political agenda and sway the minds of people through a program that reaches millions for 4 hours a day.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:55 am
Yes, he is a GOOD entertainer. He has an audience...

Howard Stern has an audience of millions as well, is he somehow more than an entertainer? what about Clark Howard?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:57 am
He discusses his opinions and others opinions and comments on current affairs. He does so well enough to attract a large following, something those "entertainers" on air america are trying to do without much success.

If you think he somehow is responsible for republican policy decisions then I think you give him more credit than he deserves.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:04 am
Heh. You have it backwards.

Rush isn't responsible for Republican party decisions. But, as he has no real political consequences, he can say all the dirty things that the politicians can't.

The republican party is responsible for what HE says, not the other way around. If you don't think he has very highly placed connections after being a demagogue for so long, then I think you give him less credit than he deserves.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:29 am
Crypto that's nonsense. Rush has enjoyed a decade and a half of unparalleled success as a talk show host precisely because he says what many many of us think but have no forum to say about a lot of stuff. I doubt any Rush fan agrees with everything he says and I imagine most of us have disapproved when he has occasionally crossed the line of good taste. I used to listen to him a lot but don't much anymore because he is so predictable.

But that he provides a mainstream forum for us conservatives out here in fly over country or that conservative politicians like having their point of view expressed (when it so often is not expressed or is distorted on the evening news) is not a responsibility of the GOP.

When I see the left condemning the distortions, exaggerations, and poor taste put out there by some of their spokespersons and media gurus, I'll believe the left doesn't apply a double standard here.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:46 am
First of all, who is crypto?

Second, I am not trying to say that Rush gets a memo every day saying what he should talk about on-air from the GOP. But they sure don't mind having a demagogue on their side, and that's exactly what he is - the politicians on his side know, without a doubt, that his fiery rhetoric is exactly what they need to stir up support for their issues.

I wouldn't have a problem with that, if his message wasn't often one of intolerance, hate, and plain idoicy. To see him get his third divorce after crowing for years about degrading family values is what my homies in da English Lit Crew call an Ironic Juxtaposition, yo.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:51 am
Rush is a perfect example of why it's not a good idea to point your finger at other people and pass judgements on them, laugh at them or ridicule them or tell them how they should live.

Foxfyre...for you and the other listeners of the Rush Limbaugh show, it's sad that you don't recognize hatred and division when you hear it. FYI...back in the late 80's till the early 90's I was a 'dittohead'. I hung on Rush's every word...and my attitude sucked. Bigtime. I hear Rush now and I can't believe (and am ashamed) that I used to laugh his satire and condone his beliefs.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:06 am
Sorry Cyclop....was thinking of another online buddy and my fingers just typed his name.

And Doglover, I guess I don't hear the intolerance and hate speech that you hear. Those on the right often think it is the left who are most guilty of intolerance, bigotry, hate speech, and double standards.

As far as Rush's marital problems, his first two are well documented. His wives left him.

This time, nobody know the why, and to assume that it is either Rush or Marta's fault is just drawing assumptions with no grounding in fact.

As far as him speaking to issues of addiction or family values, nobody knows better who to counsel those who want to quit smoking than prior smokers. Nobody can counsel an alcoholic or other addict like a recovering alcoholic or addict can. And nobody knows better the value of family than s/he who has lost one.

It gets kind of silly doesn't it? It's like saying if you've never been to war you can't have an opinion on it. Or if you've never had kids, you have no right to speak out about what is good for kids. And conversely, the same people seem to think if you have been an addict you can have no opinion about the dangers/evils of it or if your marriage fails, you can't have an opinion about how destructive divorce can be.

Personally I think somebody who has failed three times at marriage probably isn't a good candidate for marriage and should adopt bachelorhood. But judge him? No. I won't do that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:15 am
Quote:
Those on the right often think it is the left who are most guilty of intolerance, bigotry, hate speech, and double standards.

You have GOT to be kidding. Seriously.

Do the names Strom Thurman or Trent Lott mean anything to you? How about Richard Nixon? Your demi-god Reagan said some of the most bigoted and intolerant things about homosexuals, does that sound like tolerance and inclusion? How about Ann Coulter? She sure is full of tolerance. You're going to tell me that Dick Cheney is a uniter?

If you honestly believe that democrats 'are most guilty of intolerance, bigotry, hate speech, and double standards' then you need to wake up, Fox.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:19 am
Foxfyre wrote:

And Doglover, I guess I don't hear the intolerance and hate speech that you hear. Those on the right often think it is the left who are most guilty of intolerance, bigotry, hate speech, and double standards.

Open your mind Foxfyre. Don't just hear the words (like I used to) think about the philosophy and meaning behind them. Really listen to what Rush says.

Quote:
As far as him speaking to issues of addiction or family values, nobody knows better who to counsel those who want to quit smoking than prior smokers. Nobody can counsel an alcoholic or other addict like a recovering alcoholic or addict can. And nobody knows better the value of family than s/he who has lost one.

I would agree with you Foxfyre except to say that at the same time Rush was condeming hollywood types and street people who abuse drugs, he himself was high on Oxy's. Remember when Rush lost his hearing? I felt so bad for him. Why didn't Rush come out at that time and admit that an addiction to drugs caused his hearing loss? He was lying to the public day in day out about the cause of the hearing loss. I don't believe for one minute that Rush is in 'recovery'. I listened to him when he returned from rehab, and I didn't hear the words of a man who had taken responsibility for his addiction or gained any new growth or insight of character. BTW...when I listened to Rush upon his return to the airwaves, my mind was open as were my ears and heart hoping that Rush had, even in small way, changed for the better.
Quote:
Personally I think somebody who has failed three times at marriage probably isn't a good candidate for marriage and should adopt bachelorhood. But judge him? No. I won't do that.

And someone who has failed at marriage has no business criticizing anyone else's marriage or telling other people how divorce is screwing the country up when they themselves are contributing to the problem.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:24 am
Cyclop you really don't want to go there do you? You really don't want me to start pulling up quotes from the left? Do you really want to put a dog in that fight?

Rush has been very tolerant of gays and actually has quite a few who call into his program fairly regularly or they used to. He is a favorite with many women and a lot of these get through to his program every day. I can post a column or two from black Americans who think he is pretty darn cool. Walter Williams, one of my heroes, subs for Rush now and then. His call screener is a black man. Can you find something objectionable he said from the 15 hours per week over the almost 20 years he has been a national figure? Sure. Can you find anybody who has NOT said a few 'objectionable' things with that kind of exposure?
0 Replies