edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:19 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Giujohn is an atheist.

I referred to meaning number two.

fun·da·men·tal·ism noun \-tə-ˌli-zəm\

Definition of FUNDAMENTALISM

a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching
b : the beliefs of this movement
c : adherence to such beliefs
: a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles <Islamic fundamentalism> <political fundamentalism>
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh, I see. Sorry about that! Embarrassed Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:29 pm
@parados,
Great quote, Parados.

I suspect I may borrow (steal) it for use some day...and I hope I remember to give you credit.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

What on Earth is your point with this nonsense

So you are saying if they are too infirm to work...or not bright enough...they should just die.

You are a beauty.

Oh Jesus H. Christmas...lighten up Frank, it's a qoute for Scrooge.
Pearlylustre

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:41 pm
@giujohn,
How do you propose people with, eg, severe non-verbal autism , angelman's syndrome, downs syndrome or any congenital (or acquired) intellectual disability become wealthy ? People with these kinds of disabilities usually can't manage their own basic needs without assistance, let alone retrain as lawyers or make savvy investments on the stock market. As they often need 24/7 care without assistance from somewhere their families are also unlikely to have the ability to amass huge amounts of money on their behalf. If they have neither a family or (as you would prefer) a social welfare system to care for them I guess they could try begging - that might pay well in some areas. If you have friends with this kind of profound intellectual or developmental disability I'd be very interested to hear their secret to financial success. I know quite a few parents of children with this kind of disability and I'm sure they would be inspired by your stories.

I have a 21yo son with autism /intellectual disability but fortunately not so severe that he can't work at all. He's not lazy and does as much work as he can get - at a local garden centre . He's independently assessed at about 60% productivity overall and so that is what he's paid, which is fair enough. (I'm in Australia - I don't know how the system works in the US) . This is topped up by his disability pension and a small amount of cash in hand work for his grandparents which still leaves him on an income well below the poverty line. If he could get full time work he would still be earning 60% of a regular wage . Even with the pension if he wasn't living with us he would only have enough money for necessities - there wouldn't be anything to invest for example.
If you have any advice as to how he can become wealthy and stop robbing from the unfortunate rich I'll pass it on to him.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:30 pm
@parados,
Now there's a good one...

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:37 pm
@Pearlylustre,
We have similar parents here at a2k. I'm sure they don't delight in giujohn stuff.

Likely they have him on ignore.
giujohn

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:57 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Well in this country (which is the venue being discussed re; poverty) we have a minimum wage. (who the hell decides the 60% BTW?) So your son would have at least that and would, if he is a conciensious, punctual employee, earn raises on top of that. I know several developmentally disabled people who work at, for instance, Walmart who make more than the min. wage and in several chain grocery stores where they do stocking and earn union prevailing wages.
The arguement here is not that everyone will be wealthy (althought the potential exists) it is that no one need be poor.

I am a college educated experienced and professionally trained person with an above average IQ (and good looking to boot...and modest as hell). However I am not a millionare. I prefer to work in the arena of public service where I make close to 6 figures but will never top that mark. This is my choice.

I know a freinds son who has a mild form of autism that makes more than I do after landing a position with a tech company.

Notwithstanding your snide ending comment, other than moving to the USA where disabled people arent "assessed" and paid below what others are, I can't help you.
Pearlylustre

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 07:51 pm
@giujohn,
There is still a minimum - the 60% is decided by an independent assessor. But that's hardly the point and you know it. You didn't even respond to the first half of my post. The truth is that most people with a disability will need the support of the state in some form or other throughout their lives and most normal and compassionate people accept that and would see that as a fair and just way for their taxes to be used. Australia is currently testing a national disability insurance scheme and even our current horribly cruel right wing government didn't oppose the concept.
Pearlylustre

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I know I shouldn't bother but I find this kind of mentality fascinating - which is why I haven't got Hawkeye on ignore either. It's like going to the zoo I guess - observing creatures that I never come across in my offline life. I obviously lead a sheltered life because I just don't see these extreme views around here.
Oh well back to business . I'm not going to get rich sitting here chatting...
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 09:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I've had him on ignore forever. I'm glad to see him quoted by other posters from time to tie; reading those mental messes always reminds me of why I don't want to have anything to do with this individual.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 09:44 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Quote:
You didn't even respond to the first half of my post.

Well let me now.

If there is a need to catch some one who might fall through the cracks, ie; no family, there are a multitude of faith based services that DO NOT pay taxes, that can provide services, as well as other non-profits.
If people were not taxed so ridiculously in this country and then watch their taxes squandered they may be more inclined to give to non-profit charities. As it is donations are, what I consider, substantial.

The lie that Government has to provide is one perpetrated by liberals with a political agenda...to keep themselves employed.

95.4% of households give to charity.

The average annual household contribution is $2,974.1

Americans gave $335.17 billion in 2013. This reflects a 4.4% increase from 2011.

Corporate giving held steady in 2013 at $16.76 billion.

Foundation giving increased in 2013 to $50.28 billion--a 5.7% increase from 2011.

In 2013, the largest source of charitable giving came from individuals at $241.32 billion, or 72% of total giving; followed by foundations ($50.28 billion/15%), bequests ($26.81 billion/8%), and corporations ($16.76 billion/5%).

http://www.nptrust.org/philanthropic-resources/charitable-giving-statistics/
Pearlylustre

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 11:04 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
The lie that Government has to provide is one perpetrated by liberals with a political agenda...to keep themselves employed.

Ha. That's kind of funny given that you work in the public sector. I'm assuming that the government provides you with holiday pay, sick pay and other benefits which those of us who are self-employed can't imagine .
I don't think of it as 'the government' providing - they do it on behalf of the community. And I'm very glad to be part of a community that takes care of it's weakest members. I don't even begrudge you getting paid for days when you don't actually work as I'm sure you're making a useful contribution to the efficient functioning of your community.
The charity statistics you cited include art groups, schools, churches etc that aren't all necessarily caring for the poor. It's very 19th century to suggest that the poor should be the responsibility of charities anyway. Very Dickensian.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 11:18 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/s720x720/10923783_918890304810718_431054183738066953_o.jpg

This prob'ly belongs on some other thread but I couldn't find a handier place to display it. Anyone up it, feel free to move it.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 11:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I will return later because i have some experience serving on the board of a non-profit formed to provide assistance to developmentally challenged adults. Its a mixed bag, just like private industry. I began to consider resignation when the executive director refused to provide me with the minutes of meetings. I attended all those meeting, and since I was the Board Secretary, I had to sign the minutes in order to be considered a non-profit. I spent 5 years on the Executive Board, I loved the work until I was stonewalled regarding the official record.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 08:16 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:

What on Earth is your point with this nonsense

So you are saying if they are too infirm to work...or not bright enough...they should just die.

You are a beauty.

Oh Jesus H. Christmas...lighten up Frank, it's a qoute for Scrooge.

Scrooge is not here. Why do you want to "qoute" something for him?

Light enough?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 08:24 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Well in this country (which is the venue being discussed re; poverty) we have a minimum wage. (who the hell decides the 60% BTW?) So your son would have at least that and would, if he is a conciensious, punctual employee, earn raises on top of that. I know several developmentally disabled people who work at, for instance, Walmart who make more than the min. wage and in several chain grocery stores where they do stocking and earn union prevailing wages.
The arguement here is not that everyone will be wealthy (althought the potential exists) it is that no one need be poor.

I am a college educated experienced and professionally trained person with an above average IQ (and good looking to boot...and modest as hell). However I am not a millionare. I prefer to work in the arena of public service where I make close to 6 figures but will never top that mark. This is my choice.

I know a freinds son who has a mild form of autism that makes more than I do after landing a position with a tech company.

Notwithstanding your snide ending comment, other than moving to the USA where disabled people arent "assessed" and paid below what others are, I can't help you.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 11:01 am
The US have no satirical newspapers, but then they have FAUX News, which is a caricature of a news channel.

French TV makes fun of Fox News (again!)
French TV show Le Petit Journal makes fun of Fox News because of their info about France being completely wrong. They stated that Paris had no-go zones that are supposedly so dangerous police can't even get in, which is of course completely absurd. A Fox correspondent in Paris is being interviewed in this episode.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=524_1421523639

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 11:23 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

The US have no satirical newspapers, but then they have FAUX News, which is a caricature of a news channel.

French TV makes fun of Fox News (again!)
French TV show Le Petit Journal makes fun of Fox News because of their info about France being completely wrong. They stated that Paris had no-go zones that are supposedly so dangerous police can't even get in, which is of course completely absurd. A Fox correspondent in Paris is being interviewed in this episode.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=524_1421523639

Absolutely hilarious.

Most people here in the states realize FoxNews is a piece of garbage. "Fair and balanced" is their motto..."bat-**** crazy" is what it should be.

That host is terrific, Olivier. And I hope Mr. Clemente's email box was as no-go as their absurd stories.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 11:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yes, Bartel is a very funny guy. I love the way he calls them chicken. He is evidently correct. FAUX News is a No Balls Zone.
0 Replies