BBB is so pissed at her pathetic body

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:58 am
I got the bad news this afternoon. I have a tear in the rotator cuff in my right shoulder. I'm instructed to make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for further examination. I'm so pissed.

http://www.shouldersolutions.com/rotator.php

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,552 • Replies: 63
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:41 am
O, No, BBB! Sad

I'm sure that you will be fine; but that's not the point. My best wishes and thoughts are with you; I hope that it heals soon.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:59 am
Indeed!
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:22 am
This getting old is definitely for the birds.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:31 am
My best wishes are with you BBB. I'm gonna beat Noddy to it and say "hold your dominion!"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:02 am
BBB- I have known a number of people who have had rotator cuff surgery.....................all have had excellent results.

I know it is a pain in the butt, but I fugure it like this. When something goes wrong with my body, it's like having a car with a lot of mileage. Sometimes some simple maintenance is no longer enough, and one has to go in for major repairs.

Hang in there. It is going to be all right!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 05:07 am
A good doctor can do wonders in this area. My best wishes for you, BBB.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 05:14 am
I'm sorry BBB. My thoughts are with you.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 05:22 am
Looks like your career as a major-league pitcher is over, dear.

At last year's physical I was diagnosed with the same thing in my right shoulder and the doctor told me I shouldn't bother with surgery (mine is only a slight tear; it prevents me from putting my right arm behind me -- as if I was being handcuffed, for example -- and is only painful if I sleep on that side).

Hell, getting older beats the alternative...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 05:38 am
BBB--

Cav said it well, but Phoenix said it better. Old age isn't for sissies--and you're not in a sissy peer group.

How long will your shoulder be a major inconvenience?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:44 am
Noddy
Noddy asked: "How long will your shoulder be a major inconvenience?"

I won't know until the orthopod examines me. But my shoulder has hurt for a long time. When the pain got really bad, I requested the usual cortisone injection for tendonitis.

What is remarkable is that I had to see a different doctor as my primary physician was out of town. He took an x-ray and gave me the shot, but after we talked, he ordered an MRI to check the rotator cuff. No one in California (before I moved to Albuquerque) ever suggested that might be the problem. So I don't know how many years the pain was caused by a torn rotator cuff.

I thought all of you might be interested in the URL site I included in my post. A very clear picture of what happens when the rotator cuff tears.

The 45-minutes MRI for seven pictures was a funny experience. I kept laughing because the loud noises sounded like a heavy metal rock band gone berserk.

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:53 am
Better laugh than cry any day, BBB! I hope your shoulder is back to normal ASAP.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:27 am
Sorry to hear this, BBB, but at least they've finally found the problem. Surgery is never fun, is it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:30 am
Somewhere on the molecular level, your rotor cuff is chortling with high glee at finally having been given the emphasis it deserves.

The older I get the more ...."shuffle off this mortal coil..." has personal meaning.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:42 am
I've got the same problem, but in my left shoulder. I got the x-ray, then cortisone. I was to take it easy for a couple of weeks and then check back in to see whether it improved. It hasn't improved and I've been putting off checking back in.

Maybe today...
...or tomorrow...
...I'm kinda busy...
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:48 am
i know just what you mean; wouldn't it be nice if we could just drop off the arm at the local 'body' garage, and pick it up as good as new that night on the way home (in spite of the horrendous prices those guys charge - now complaining about that could be almost fun!)!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:33 am
Well, now you and Bret Saberhagen will have a lot to talk about. See: http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/BI108_2004_Groups/Group01/ptPA.htm

Seriously, gentle hugs and hope you're feeling better real soon.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:38 am
I'm sending healing thoughts your way, BBB.

Here's hoping you'll have pain-free days in your future!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:38 am
George
With cortisone its like being between a rock and a hard place. Cortisone is really bad for your body and it should only be used as a last resort. I'm hoping that if I need surgery that they can go the arthroscopic route. I have no room left for any more surgery scars. I rarely get sick and I'm pretty sound except for my skeletal structure, which has always been a problem.

BBB
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
BBB- Problem with cortisone is that it only can be used safely for a limited amount of treatments. Too much, and it can do damage. Therefore, cortisone is best used in an acute condition, where it just helps to lessen inflamation while healing. It is absolutely contraindicated in chronic musculoskeletal conditions, where the injections would have to be given indefinitely.

Quote:
Can I get a cortisone injection more than once?
Yes. There is no rule as to how many cortisone injections can be given. Often physicians do not want to give more than three, but there is not really a specific limit to the number of shots. However, there are some practical limitiations. If a cortisone injection wears off quickly or does not help the problem, then repeating it may not be worthwhile. Also, animal studies have shown effects of weakening of tendons and softening of cartilage with cortisone injections. Repeated cortisone injections multiply these effects and increase the risk of potential problems. This is the reason many physicians limit the number of injections they offer to a patient.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/paindrugs/a/cortisone.htm
0 Replies