Water Softeners - What are the differences in brands?

Gary Slusser

Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:34 pm
Yes, anyone that is not willing or capable of assembling and installing their own softener should hire a plumber to do it or buy from a local dealer.

People, note the deficiencies of the 5600SE.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:07 pm
Re: 5600 SE Control
Softenerparts wrote:
Also, the electronic versions can cause your system to regenerate too much if you have a "one day" high water "event".

Please note this is not an issue on the Fleck 2510SE.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:01 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
Softenerparts wrote:
Also, the electronic versions can cause your system to regenerate too much if you have a "one day" high water "event".

But this is: The SE line of Fleck Controls use an electronic timer control and a turbine assembly that is very thin in size to count the water. I have seen some of these turbine assemblies crack and leak. Replacement cost is double the cost of the mechanical version
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 15 Aug, 2007 05:00 am
Re: 2510 SE
Gary Slusser wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Softenerparts wrote:

But this is: The SE line of Fleck Controls use an electronic timer control and a turbine assembly that is very thin in size to count the water.
I have seen some of these turbine assemblies crack and leak. Replacement cost is double the cost of the mechanical version

The words of Softenerpartsguy are now your words? - Interesting Rolling Eyes
The problems Softenerpartsguy mention must be a direct result of do it yourself installations and service.

I have never seen cracks or leaks on the hundreds of 2510SE valves I have in service.
The SE controls on the 2510 are vastly superior to the mechanical version.
The SE controls on the 2510 offer the customer superior reliable service.
I will not install a mechanically controlled valve. I only install the 2510SE.
I have replaced one SE control that was hit by lightning. It was covered under the factory warranty.
This repair was performed at no cost to myself or the customer.

Check out the mechanical version of the Clack WS-1 vs. the electronic version.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Wed 15 Aug, 2007 06:58 am
Re: 2510 SE
H2O_MAN wrote:

Gary Slusser wrote:
But this is: The SE line of Fleck Controls use an electronic timer control and a turbine assembly that is very thin in size to count the water.
I have seen some of these turbine assemblies crack and leak. Replacement cost is double the cost of the mechanical version

H2O_MAN wrote:
The words of Softenerpartsguy are now your words? - Interesting Rolling Eyes

Yes. Recall he corrected your years old misidentification of the "bastardized Fleck 5600". You quite frequently don't know what you're talking about.
H2O_MAN wrote:
The SE controls on the 2510 are vastly superior to the mechanical version. The SE controls on the 2510 offer the customer ALL superior reliable service. I only install the 2510SE.

How would you know since you only sell the SE version? And you're wrong, the Fleck mechanical stuff is heavier duty than the SE.
H2O_MAN wrote:
I have replaced one SE control that was hit by lightning. It was covered under the factory warranty.
This repair was performed at no cost to myself or the customer.

Then you lied about the cause of the problem, lightening strikes are not covered under warranty.
H2O_MAN wrote:
Check out the mechanical version of the Clack WS-1 vs. the electronic version.

The Clack WS-1 uses the same style meter turbine as the Fleck mechanical meter, just a bit smaller; much heavier than the Fleck SE electronic meter turbine.

AND, with the Clack, if there is a meter problem, you don't have to take the control valve off the by-pass valve to get to the turbine as you do with ALL Fleck SE controls.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 15 Aug, 2007 07:13 am
Professionalism is not your forte.

You continue to slander and badmouth me in a failed attempt you elevate yourself above me.

The only thing you accomplish is to drag A2K down into the gutter with you.
Please go away.

BTW, the Fleck mechanical stuff is more robust than the Clack WS-1.
0 Replies

justalurker

Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:35 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
The SE line of Fleck Controls use an electronic timer control and a turbine assembly that is very thin in size to count the water. I have seen some of these turbine assemblies crack and leak. Replacement cost is double the cost of the mechanical version

Plagiarism, the sincerest form of flattery... in other words, when one has nothing substantive to say they use someone else's exact words to say it for them.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:53 am
justalurker wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:
The SE line of Fleck Controls use an electronic timer control and a turbine assembly that is very thin in size to count the water. I have seen some of these turbine assemblies crack and leak. Replacement cost is double the cost of the mechanical version

Plagiarism, the sincerest form of flattery... in other words, when one has nothing substantive to say they use someone else's exact words to say it for them.

Yep, it's readily apparent that he knows less that he claims to know.

He waits for a third party to post an issue (phantom or real) and then he claims this discovery as his own and rides it into the ground.
Nothing original, nothing substantial, nothing helpful - totally irrelevant.

I bet he torments animals and children and treats them with disrespect.
0 Replies

justalurker

Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:26 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
justalurker wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:

Yep, it's readily apparent that he knows less that he claims to know.

He waits for a third party to post an issue (phantom or real) and then he claims this discovery as his own and rides it into the ground.
Nothing original, nothing substantial, nothing helpful - totally irrelevant.

When truth is spoken the same answer to the same question is repeated again and again and again.

When lies are spoken, it's hard to remember which lie was used just a few posts earlier.

It's ironic that one poster constantly accuses others of lieing while that poster's own words convict him of being a liar.

Open, civil, and considerate discussion is the foundation of society and all online forums. There is only one reason for spite, deceit, bullying, ridicule, and personal attacks to enter into any conversation... and that is when the conversation would have an impact on a participant's profit and loss sheet.

As previously posted by someone, many are here on these forums to help others and a few are on these forums to help themselves. It's easy to tell who's who and why they are here.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:08 pm
justalurker and h20man, here's a link to what jespah, admin here, said about this type thing a few months ago. Do you two see yourselves in it anywhere?
http://tinyurl.com/ynvojk
0 Replies

justalurker

Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:13 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
justalurker and h20man, here's a link to what jespah, admin here, said about this type thing a few months ago. Do you two see yourselves in it anywhere?

I won't presume to speak for H2O_MAN but no, I can't. Your much too prominent reflection dominates the view.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 15 Aug, 2007 05:05 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:

Nope. It's all you big guy - it's all you...
0 Replies

JoeKidd

Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:53 am
Can you give me any info on Water Boss softeners. Is this a good product? Pros and Cons please.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 27 Aug, 2007 12:11 pm
JoeKidd wrote:
Can you give me any info on Water Boss softeners. Is this a good product? Pros and Cons please.

I don't know a thing about them. We can learn together ~ http://www.waterboss.com/index.html
0 Replies

justalurker

Mon 27 Aug, 2007 01:40 pm
JoeKidd wrote:

Essentially a prebuilt box store softener that is completely proprietary (you have to buy parts from them and them only) with a PARTS ONLY (you pay labor or DIY) warranty and over the phone tech support.

Due to the small physical size of the Waterboss they do not have a high hardness removal capacity and with harness higher than 3-5gr and a family of four they will regenerate multiple times per week wasting a lot of water and salt.

They are optimistic regarding the hardness capacity rating. Pretty much a disposable softener like a Sears, GE, Whirlpool, or Morton and with a similar shorter service life. They are competent on low hardness city water but higher hardness levels shorten the service life.

They are not much, if any, less expensive than an industry standard water softener assembled with much better quality components for which you can buy parts and get service most everywhere.

Get yourself a water test from a certified lab and then shop for a softener that will address your needs and last you a decade or two.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Tue 28 Aug, 2007 11:14 am
Joe, a few corrections to what justalurker said but, I am not for the Waterboss unless you want to rely on a local dealer instead of being a DIYer.

justalurker wrote:
JoeKidd wrote:

Essentially a prebuilt box store softener that is completely proprietary (you have to buy parts from them and them only) with a PARTS ONLY (you pay labor or DIY) warranty and over the phone tech support.

Really? Here I thought it was a scaled down version of the Watermax (which it is). Both are made by Hague and for someone wanting to rely on a local dealer and just write large checks for things from a local dealer, Hague is hard to beat.
justalurker wrote:
Due to the small physical size of the Waterboss they do not have a high hardness removal capacity and with harness higher than 3-5gr and a family of four they will regenerate multiple times per week wasting a lot of water and salt.

What! You need to go that site and study but... The unit is a captive vacuum packed bed, using fine mesh resin. Any ideas about how that proves your contentions to be incorrect justalurker?

Also, it regenerates with very little water each upflow/counter current regeneration; just like your beloved Kinetico. You need to do more research.
justalurker wrote:
They are optimistic regarding the hardness capacity rating. Pretty much a disposable softener like a Sears, GE, Whirlpool, or Morton and with a similar shorter service life.

See above and change your incorrect guesses.

justalurker wrote:
They are competent on low hardness city water but higher hardness levels shorten the service life.

I see you saying "higher hardness shortens the life of a softener" on a number of forums... you're wrong but how do you see high hardness shortening the life of any brand of water softener?

justalurker wrote:
... and then shop for a softener that will address your needs and last you a decade or two.

Now we agree on something, it should be a correctly sized softener with a Clack WS-1 control valve like the one you bought from me 3+ years ago.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 28 Aug, 2007 11:21 am
Shocked It is alive!

Well, the peace and quiet was nice while it lasted...

Slusser the king of Slander has returned Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JoeKidd

Sat 1 Sep, 2007 06:54 am
Thanks for the replys. I went ahead and got the waterboss. I will let you know how it does in a few weeks.
0 Replies

Jim DIYer

Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:08 pm
Replacing a valve on a RainSoft Softener
Today we had the RainSoft Tech over for yearly checkup. He said the timer was shot (which it isn't) and for a measly $500 he would graciously put a new timer in.

We are seriously thinking about dumping RainSoft after softening our pocketbook for a regen and service of $354.00 Sad

I read at http://softenerparts.zoovy.com/category/6600.rainsoft
that you can replace the Rainsoft valve with a Fleck 5600.

Has anyone done this with good results?

Thanx in advance,
Jim
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sat 1 Sep, 2007 01:52 pm
I have replaced a few hundred RainSoft valves with the Fleck 2510SE...
I wouldn't waste money on the 5600.
0 Replies