Water Softeners - What are the differences in brands?

Gary Slusser

Sat 24 May, 2008 12:21 pm
I have asked about what you have said, I'm sorry if you see that as anything other than the honest discussion it is. As to the tech, stay tuned and recall he has already stated a few things that do not support your statements.
0 Replies

justalurker

Sat 24 May, 2008 12:51 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
I have asked about what you have said, I'm sorry if you see that as anything other than the honest discussion it is. As to the tech, stay tuned and recall he has already stated a few things that do not support your statements.

I accept your apology and stay tuned as he has already stated a few things that do not support your statements.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 24 May, 2008 12:54 pm
bm
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Sun 25 May, 2008 10:51 am
justalurker wrote:
...stay tuned as he has already stated a few things that do not support your statements.

Please show us what you are referring to.
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Thu 18 Dec, 2008 08:51 am
@Waterguy,
<<<Actually I test water softners for a living and there is a huge difference. One is that a more expensive rainsoft system does more than soften. It gets rid of conttaminates lik chlorine and deadly crap. They condition water. I have tested three month old culligans that test only 3 to 4 grains less than the tap. HORRIBLE. With the sears model i will test them out of the box and they are always at least 3 off >>>

Does more than soften? Gets rid of dealy contaminants. (?) Could you explain this more? How does it get rid of chlorine? If you are a water test professioanl, this should be easy to explain.

Thanks,
Andy Christensen, CWS-II

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 18 Dec, 2008 10:26 am
@Waterguy,
Waterguy wrote:

Actually I test water softners for a living and there is a huge difference. One is that a more expensive rainsoft system does more than soften. It gets rid of conttaminates lik chlorine and deadly crap. They condition water. I have tested three month old culligans that test only 3 to 4 grains less than the tap. HORRIBLE. With the sears model i will test them out of the box and they are always at least 3 off

Yes, please explain just how a rainsoft softner gets rid of conttaminates lik chlorine and deadly crap.
0 Replies

Laceit2001

Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:00 pm
@Waterguy,
Hello water guy, I am looking into a water softner and was told Hague was the best what do you think?
Andy CWS

Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:35 pm
@Laceit2001,
What do you mean by 'best'? That is a very difficult quewstion to answer. A free softener is the best even if it doesn't work very well. The most expensive can be considered the best. Some like them to look good, others want quiet ones. Is one that lasts 30 years better than one that lasts 5?

What is the best truck, replacement window, chocolate bar...?

'Best' is a subjective term to be detemined by the one who is aware of it's value in relation to at least two other alternatives. What are you comparing it to. What is best for one may be junk to another.

Who told you that Hague was the 'best'? I mean, was it a dealer. Someone who has owned only one softener, or a service guy with 25 years experience fixing equipment?

I don't mean to be glib but it would help if you gave us more information about your source water, your water demands and expectations.

Hague has some high efficiency models and they have made some attempts to create customizable systems for differnet waters. We deal in Hague units (sales and service) but not our first or second choice.

Andy
Gary Slusser

Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:06 am
@Andy CWS,
I think the best softener is one that is sized correctly and has the Clack WS-1CS control valve. It gets better if you buy it online at considerable savings, and install it yourself.

You get industry standard nonproprietary equipment that you can fix yourself very easily and you can find instructions online to do it and yo can buy parts from many online or local dealers.
H2O MAN

Wed 9 Dec, 2009 12:28 pm
@Gary Slusser,
Gary Slusser wrote:

I think the best softener is one that is sized correctly and has the Clack WS-1CS control valve. It gets better if you buy it online at considerable savings, and install it yourself.

You get industry standard nonproprietary equipment that you can fix yourself very easily and you can find instructions online to do it and yo can buy parts from many online or local dealers.

It does not have to have a Clack WS-1C5 and it does not have to be do-it-yourself installation and service.

Find a local independent water quality improvement company with a decent track record and deal with them.
Having local sales, installation and service available is priceless.
0 Replies

Sketty55

Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:31 pm

I've never owned a water softerner before and would like to purchase one this month. Based on research on the net I thought I had decided on a Fleck 9000SXT. However, when I called my local water supply company, they told me that for a home with 3-4 people (as we have), we dont' need a dual tank system. I thought the dual tank systems make better use of the salt consumption, but he said I wouldn't really benefit from it since the single tank units regenerate at night. He recommended a Fleck 5600. How can I determine if i need a single tank or dual tank??
H2O MAN

Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:29 pm
@Sketty55,
Split the difference and get a single tank softener with a digital Fleck 2510 SE/STX control valve.
Gary Slusser

Sat 12 Dec, 2009 09:14 am
@Sketty55,
Unless you have water being used 24/7 like a 24/7 car wash etc., you don't need a twin tank type softener.

The salt efficiency is the same in a twin tank or two tank type softener as long as you use the same type and volume of resin and set the salt dose at the same lbs used per regeneration. The same applies to downflow/co current or upflow/counter current brining, same number of lbs of salt, same salt efficiency. Most twin tank softeners have smaller tanks, so you must add up the number of regenerations times the lbs of salt used per regeneration to compare salt and water use to a two tank type softener because with larger tanks, they will regenerate less frequently; like once every 8 days compared to a twin with a regeneration of one tank or the other every other day. IOWs you have to total up the salt used over the same number of days.
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Sat 12 Dec, 2009 07:22 pm
@H2O MAN,
"Unless you have water being used 24/7 like a 24/7 car wash etc., you don't need a twin tank type softener. "

That has nothing to do with why people get a twin tank system. I have never had that as a request, an offer, or a need. I have never heard of any residential demand like that. The "24/7" is a weak argument as it is a moot point.

Salt efficiency is measure by grains per pound of salt. It doesn't matter how often it regenerates, a 5000 grain/lb setting is always more efficient than a 3000 grain/lb setting. Basing a singe-tank softener on an eight-day period would be usless in my area.

The sizing of twins are not under the same restrictions a single tank system. They are not under-sized if they work all the time. Period.

Andy Christensen
Gary Slusser

Sun 13 Dec, 2009 04:07 pm
@Andy CWS,
Andy CWS wrote:

"Unless you have water being used 24/7 like a 24/7 car wash etc., you don't need a twin tank type softener. "

That has nothing to do with why people get a twin tank system. I have never had that as a request, an offer, or a need. I have never heard of any residential demand like that. The "24/7" is a weak argument as it is a moot point.

Salt efficiency is measure by grains per pound of salt. It doesn't matter how often it regenerates, a 5000 grain/lb setting is always more efficient than a 3000 grain/lb setting. Basing a singe-tank softener on an eight-day period would be usless in my area.

The sizing of twins are not under the same restrictions a single tank system. They are not under-sized if they work all the time. Period.

Andy Christensen

I sell quite a few softeners to people that have had Kinetico salesmen out and most of them have mentioned 24/7 softened water. And that 24/7 is the only reason any homeowner needs a twin tank type softener.

As to salt efficiency, yes 5000 grains/per lb is higher salt efficiency than 3000 but, the total salt used over a given period of time tells you which softener has the highest salt usage; or the best salt efficiency for your house.

And as usual, you Kinetico salesmen mislead everyone you can about how great Kinetico salt efficiency is because you only talk about grains per lb per regeneration (as you just did here) but won't say how frequently your softener regenerates. Actual efficiency is the total lbs used over a given period of time; day/week/month/year.

And when my softener uses a total of say 8 lbs per regeneration and is regenerated on average once every 8 days, and yours uses 2.2 lbs once per day, for a total of 17.6 lbs in 8 days, mine is the more salt efficient softener. Or if yours uses 4 lbs per regeneration and regenerates a tank on average every 4th day (30/4=7.5*4=30lbs), in a 30 day period yours uses the same amount of salt as mine (30/8=3.75*8=30lbs).

So tells us how you size a twin that is different than sizing a regular softener. they both regenerate based on a number of gallons used and the same hardness.
Andy CWS

Sun 13 Dec, 2009 06:04 pm
@Gary Slusser,
GARY SLUSSER
<< And as usual, you Kinetico salesmen mislead everyone you can about how great Kinetico salt efficiency is because you only talk about grains per lb per regeneration (as you just did here) but won't say how frequently your softener regenerates. Actual efficiency is the total lbs used over a given period of time; day/week/month/year. >>

What do you mean "as (I) did here"??? Can you show me where I say that here. Are you misquoting me? Are you putting words in my mouth. This is an all too common fault of yours, Gary. You only hear what you want to hear but not what people say. I wish just once you would stop misquoting people for the whole basis of your argument.

GARY SLUSSER
<< And when my softener uses a total of say 8 lbs per regeneration and is regenerated on average once every 8 days, and yours uses 2.2 lbs once per day, for a total of 17.6 lbs in 8 days, mine is the more salt efficient softener. Or if yours uses 4 lbs per regeneration and regenerates a tank on average every 4th day (30/4=7.5*4=30lbs), in a 30 day period yours uses the same amount of salt as mine (30/8=3.75*8=30lbs). >>

Where in the world are you getting thses numbers for a Kinetico? Absolutely so far off the mark that doesn't even deserve an explanation. Did I bring up the name Kinetico or did you? But then, that is typically you.

I could just as eaily say 1 lb for every two days: That means nothing. Just pulling numbers out of the air is ridiculous. Throwing around calculations without a baseline is neither scientific or realistic.

Come on Gary, if you are going to represent data from an unfamilair product, without any point of reference, you should at least do a LITTLE homework. 2.2 lbs??? Everyday??? What are you talking about? Your statements are those of a beginner not an expert or professional. What strange fellow you are!!!

Gary Slusser

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 12:06 am
@Andy CWS,
Andy CWS wrote:

GARY SLUSSER
<< And as usual, you Kinetico salesmen mislead everyone you can about how great Kinetico salt efficiency is because you only talk about grains per lb per regeneration (as you just did here) but won't say how frequently your softener regenerates. Actual efficiency is the total lbs used over a given period of time; day/week/month/year. >>

What do you mean "as (I) did here"??? Can you show me where I say that here. Are you misquoting me? Are you putting words in my mouth. This is an all too common fault of yours, Gary. You only hear what you want to hear but not what people say. I wish just once you would stop misquoting people for the whole basis of your argument.

GARY SLUSSER
<< And when my softener uses a total of say 8 lbs per regeneration and is regenerated on average once every 8 days, and yours uses 2.2 lbs once per day, for a total of 17.6 lbs in 8 days, mine is the more salt efficient softener. Or if yours uses 4 lbs per regeneration and regenerates a tank on average every 4th day (30/4=7.5*4=30lbs), in a 30 day period yours uses the same amount of salt as mine (30/8=3.75*8=30lbs). >>

Where in the world are you getting thses numbers for a Kinetico? Absolutely so far off the mark that doesn't even deserve an explanation. Did I bring up the name Kinetico or did you? But then, that is typically you.

I could just as eaily say 1 lb for every two days: That means nothing. Just pulling numbers out of the air is ridiculous. Throwing around calculations without a baseline is neither scientific or realistic.

Come on Gary, if you are going to represent data from an unfamilair product, without any point of reference, you should at least do a LITTLE homework. 2.2 lbs??? Everyday??? What are you talking about? Your statements are those of a beginner not an expert or professional. What strange fellow you are!!!

You said: a 5000 grain/lb setting is always more efficient than a 3000 grain/lb setting

Where do I get the numbers from... I size for an 8 day service run, as I said. I also have the Kinetico Key, Salt Setting-pounds of salt in a .jpg picture that I can't post here. You're right there is no 2.2 lbs, it is 2.4 lbs (see below).

From a Kinetico manual (the numbers 1-8 are disc numbers);
NUMBERS DENOTE COMPENSATED HARDNESS
(Compensated hardness is determined by multiplying the number of PPM iron x 3 and adding it to the actual hardness.)
Meter Disc
Model Salt Setting 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1.8 lb. Salt* (A) 4 10 14 19 23 27 31 34
2.4 lb. Salt (C) 5 11 16 22 26 31 35 39
2.7 lb. Salt (D) 6 12 18 23 28 33 38 43
Kinetico 2030s
3.0 lb. Salt (E) 7 13 19 25 30 36 41 45
Kinetico 2040s OD
1.0 lb. Salt* 7 15 21 27 31 36 40 44

Same Kinetico Manual showing Usable Gallons Between Regenerations by Model number (numbers after the model number are the gallons).
Model Meter Disc
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Kinetico 2030s 1250 625 417 313 250 208 179 156
Kinetico 2040s OD 650 325 217 163 130 108 93 81
Model 50c 600 300 200 150 120 100 85 75
Kinetico 2060s 1250 625 417 313 250 208 179 156
From that I can come up with how frequently the Kinetico will regenerate in X number of days. I also have the per regeneration salt efficiency figures for all models of Kinetico softeners.

So, Andy Christensen CWS-II(Kinetico salesman), tell us again that It doesn't matter how often it regenerates because in the Kinetico consumer manual there is a line asking for the Salt Usage: _________ lbs. per _______ month(s).

You say "unfamiliar product".... I have a Kinetico manual or two and a Kinetico control valve, and a number of pictures of all the various little gears and other numerous plastic parts. I have the instructions for setting the salt tank float too, what a miserable way of setting a salt dose!! So I'm thinking maybe I'm a bit more familiar than you give me credit for, ya think?
Andy CWS

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 02:42 am
@Gary Slusser,
I would wonder why you selected that model and that salt setting. Why the 2030 at 2.4 lbs? How did you determine that? Are you basing it on 22 grains at the source? What is the salt efficency of that setting according to the water softener NSF protocol testing in grains per pound?

Why not the 1.8- lb setting, or 3-lb setting? Why not the 2060 or the 2040? How many gallons in 30 days? Are you calculating 2 people at 60 gal/per/day in a typical house with typical plumbing? Are we talking about high iron (>1.0 ppm). Like I said a 5000-grain setting is more efficient than a 3000-grain setting.

How many treated gallons of use between regenerations for eight days? How many grains per pound is that? Why did you select an 8-lb setting, why not a 12-lb setting or a 4-lb setting? What size tank (10x54?) and volume of resin (1.5 cuft)? As I said before, there is more involved than just throwing numbers out.

I like your bold print in big red letters. Very expressive, Gary, thank you. Try not to be frustrated and remain calm.

That is most likely the OWNER'S MANUAL that asks about salt per month, right? That has nothing to do with actually setting the salt, which is done at the time of install, Gary. It is only for the owner to make note of how many bags the customer might use per month for record keeping purposes--not for counting gallons or determining efficiency, except maybe for comparing to what his previous softener did.

And, there is very little precision there; it is only a simple guide for notation. That could apply to any manual for any softener manufacturer. Try not to read into something that is not intended...you should know that. Let's keep it real, OK?

Now you have noticed, Gary, that I have never slammed the Clack valve or said it was junk or even that it is a bad choice, have I? And yet you take every opportunity to slam and put down just about everything you don't personally sell, often on these forums. Worse yet, you attack people and their choices in a defensive nature. Remember, none of us use forums to sell products for our own benefit. We are here to help not attack, ridicule and belittle. Why are you here?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
H2O MAN

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:19 am
@Sketty55,
Sketty55 wrote:

I've never owned a water softerner before and would like to purchase one this month.

Again... get a single tank softener with a digital Fleck 2510 SE/STX control valve.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Mon 14 Dec, 2009 11:54 am
@Andy CWS,
Andy CWS wrote:

I would wonder why you selected that model and that salt setting. Why the 2030 at 2.4 lbs? How did you determine that? Are you basing it on 22 grains at the source? What is the salt efficency of that setting according to the water softener NSF protocol testing in grains per pound?

Why not the 1.8- lb setting, or 3-lb setting? Why not the 2060 or the 2040? How many gallons in 30 days? Are you calculating 2 people at 60 gal/per/day in a typical house with typical plumbing? Are we talking about high iron (>1.0 ppm). Like I said a 5000-grain setting is more efficient than a 3000-grain setting.

How many treated gallons of use between regenerations for eight days? How many grains per pound is that? Why did you select an 8-lb setting, why not a 12-lb setting or a 4-lb setting? What size tank (10x54?) and volume of resin (1.5 cuft)? As I said before, there is more involved than just throwing numbers out.

I like your bold print in big red letters. Very expressive, Gary, thank you. Try not to be frustrated and remain calm.

That is most likely the OWNER'S MANUAL that asks about salt per month, right? That has nothing to do with actually setting the salt, which is done at the time of install, Gary. It is only for the owner to make note of how many bags the customer might use per month for record keeping purposes--not for counting gallons or determining efficiency, except maybe for comparing to what his previous softener did.

And, there is very little precision there; it is only a simple guide for notation. That could apply to any manual for any softener manufacturer. Try not to read into something that is not intended...you should know that. Let's keep it real, OK?

Now you have noticed, Gary, that I have never slammed the Clack valve or said it was junk or even that it is a bad choice, have I? And yet you take every opportunity to slam and put down just about everything you don't personally sell, often on these forums. Worse yet, you attack people and their choices in a defensive nature. Remember, none of us use forums to sell products for our own benefit. We are here to help not attack, ridicule and belittle. Why are you here?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

You can play dumb and act like a spoiled 14 year old all you want; it's OK with me.

For others reading this.

Andy is acting like most Kinetico salesmen when asked how many lbs of salt used per week etc.. When you are buying a softener, if you are interested in salt efficiency (everyone wants to know how much salt will be used in some time frame), you must ask how frequently it is going to regenerate and... how much salt it is going to use per regeneration and then compare the total lbs used per week etc. to any other softener you are thinking of buying.

Depending on the volume of resin in the resin tanks, which dictates the size of the softener (Kinetico sells some very small softeners), and depending on how much water you use, all twin tank softeners will regenerate X times a day or week. The number of the disc in a Kinetico is based on gallons used between regenerations, the average American household uses 60 gals/person/day.