Defanging the misogyny tag (an act of protest)

djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:45 am
@maxdancona,
unless i've been sleep posting, please provide a link to that
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes, it can be done.

And enlist help if you like.

There are over 300,000 accounts on A2K. Surely five people can be scrounged up among that group to (when they have the time) do some tag clean up/clarification.

PS Thanks, tsarstepan.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:58 am
@Lordyaswas,
What is funny is that he is disagreeing with himself.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:00 am
@jespah,
Quote:
There are over 300,000 accounts on A2K. Surely five people can be scrounged up among that group to (when they have the time) do some tag clean up/clarification.

Will it be done fairly, Jespah? If this group of five people do the "tag clean up" according to their own personal biases, it will make things worse. Tags that reflect an ideological bias make the entire system less useful.

If there were a fair group of five people who would clean up all ad-hominem tags without regard to ideology then I whole-heartedly support the effort (and would even volunteer to participate).

It must be done consistently to be of value.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:00 am
@maxdancona,
"What is funny is that he is disagreeing with himself."

That's funny?

Are you German?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
Yes and no.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:02 am
@maxdancona,
Ah, so you only find this stuff funny half the time?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

or, you could just ignore the tags altogether, i do tag my own posts, rarely others, and then i forget about them, i don't use them for searches, i search my posts or topics in general

two words

tempest

teapot

get over this ridiculousness

That is funny.

In one thread you describe how you went through the "creative thinking" required to remove the misogyny tag from "dozens of threads". In the next you suggest that people should just ignore them.

I like your sense of humor Dj.

You really think me and DJ are the same people?! What a buffoon! We're two separate people with two different sets of parents. Unless...

DJ are you my long lost twinsy? Are we living a real life Parent Trap??
http://i59.tinypic.com/2lkekwg.gif
djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:03 am
@maxdancona,
please provide the link, i honestly have no idea what you're talking about
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:05 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

please provide the link, i honestly have no idea what you're talking about

@sshat thinks you are I are the same poster. He was quoting from my post and somehow attributing it to you.

And ... look one post above your last post.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:05 am
@tsarstepan,
well they do say everyone has a double somewhere

what's up my brother from another mother

glad you figured that out, i thought i was losing my mind

again
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:06 am
@djjd62,
Yes, you are correct. I apologize... the conjunction threw me. I was wrong.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:08 am
@maxdancona,
This thread is getting as funny as any episode of Fawlty Towers.

Where's me popcorn?
djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:10 am
@Lordyaswas,
i'll take a hammer

hammer cheese sandwich Wink
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:11 am
@Lordyaswas,
That was my hope Lordy. I am glad you are enjoying it.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:11 am
@djjd62,
Over here we have a Megan.

A megan chips.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 08:52 am
@Lordyaswas,
that's funny!

I wonder how awesome it'd be if in real life people could be seen walking around with physical tags on their person. I could walk around with 'Punster'. Ex-Prez Bush could walk around with either 'What Me Worry' or 'War Criminal' and Cheney, 'War Criminal'...or 'Evil Personified'.

I like it!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 09:05 am
All tagging done here is completely subjective. Why is the post on the Antarctic ice sheet collapsing tagged "Politics"? Is someone going to tell the tagger that he is wrong to tag it that way? I don't consider it politics, but I'm not the tag police either. (I just reread that and now I have the "Dream Police" going through my head.)

The contention here is that the misogyny tag is being used as an act of retribution and to dampen speech. Isn't banning people from using tags that you don't like also dampening speech? On a thread suggesting rapes aren't real, isn't it reasonable that some person would consider that misogyny? Or one about the evils of feminism? If only one person legitimately feels this way and wants to tag it for themselves, isn't that how the system is supposed to work? If a conversation that starts out innocently devolves into something else that merits a tag, is that wrong? People use offensive but not necessarily inaccurate tags here all the time. "Gun nut" was mentioned earlier. Not politically correct, but I understand what I'm going to get into if I wade into that thread. I routinely disagree with tags that get posted, especially on ESL and homework threads, but I'm not going to spam the entire board to complain about it.

And if I'm a member of a cabal that uses tags as code words for my compatriots, I am not getting the newsletter and someone needs to send me instructions for the secret handshake.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 09:12 am
@engineer,
There y'go, engineer.

http://houseofgeekery.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/secret-handshake-2_1.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 10:09 am
@maxdancona,
You don't offend me, at least not with swear words, but your passive aggressive way of claiming to inhabit the high ground, whilst suggesting all manner of things, gets on my tits.

And you're inconsistent. You dismissed figures from the CPS out of hand because they did not match your prejudices. When you found out that the CPS was an official body you insulted me by suggesting I did not understand the difference between crimes committed and prosecutions. When I pointed out that this made the incidence of crime even greater, and that you'd actually been arguing against your own point, you disappeared from the thread without a trace.

You may swallow your own bullshit, don't expect others to.