Defanging the misogyny tag (an act of protest)

maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 09:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I assume you know where the word "hysteric" comes from, Osso. You never fail to amuse me. Let's see if you can make a personal attack that isn't based on gender stereotypes (that's two now).
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:08 pm
@maxdancona,
My take on you is not gender stereotypically based, as, luckily, I know lots of great men.

You seem to have some enragement past the normal.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Maybe Osso, but so do you. You are part of this little tangent because you have the same issues. People without these issues are avoiding this little dalliance. You and I can't seem to stop meeting like this.

We are both consenting adults here... there must be something sick that both of us are getting out of it or we wouldn't keep doing it. I only hope you are enjoying it as much as I am.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:18 pm
@maxdancona,
wtf
maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Let me point out two things Osso.

1) You came here to engage with me. I didn't invite you to be here, nor did I engage with you.

2) You have made personal attacks, I haven't. So far you have called me a 'Prick", you have said I am "hysteric", and you have called me "enraged". So far I have tried to answer humorously, and I have tried not to personally attack you (other than including you in the insults you gave me).

This is not the first time you have done this with me.

I am making a point about ad-hominem tags without personally attacking anyone. I may have inconvenienced Jespah, and I have apologized to her. I haven't inconvenienced you.

There is no reason for you to act this way.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:38 pm
Ok, now I'll start calling you lamb.

Bye.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 11:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, I'm going to try to PM you tonight or tomorrow on the subject of tags. Might be tomorrow, as I tend to procrastinate.

Won't be anything earth-shattering, but I have a few tips.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:40 am
I like it when someone announces to the world that they are going to PM some secrets to another member, rather than just PMing them in private without anyone knowing.

Not done for effect at all.

<insert smiley face here>
roger

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:44 am
@Lordyaswas,
I've something to add to that. I'll be back when I've researched my comment.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 05:58 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
2) You have made personal attacks, I haven't. So far you have called me a 'Prick", you have said I am "hysteric", and you have called me "enraged". So far I have tried to answer humorously, and I have tried not to personally attack you (other than including you in the insults you gave me).

Saying you wouldn't dream of calling someone a **** is just another way of calling them a ****.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 06:17 am
@izzythepush,
Gee Izzy. I am sorry if I offended you, but you are wrong. That comment simply points out how offensive tje phrase "You are a prick" is. She was referring to me by my genitalia.

I was saying her personal attack was offensive. I wasn't commenting on her personally. I am sure she is a perfectly decent human being. That post was offensive.

There is a big difference between making a specific criticism of someone's behavior and attacking them as a person.
djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 06:18 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
(although I must say I wouldn't think of calling anyone here a '****').

not even orall0y?

and for what it's worth, i thought of this as soon as i read your post, turning the page to see he'd posted here, or rather advertised his wish to share secrets, in secret, was just an added bonus
Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 06:41 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks - that explains alot. I rarely add a tag, myself, and often times do not notice alot of them, probably why I didn't know why this was added to one of mine. It was just kind of odd; I wasn't upset or anything just couldn't understand why -- maybe the churchlady reference I thought -- then I thought it just must have been someone trying to be funny.

Quote:
you tag a topic with the poster's name (that's redundant;

Now that makes me sad -- I will no longer be so popular that a tag is affectionly (or maybe the opposite - either way as they say no bad publicity) - added in my name.
Sad
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:22 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

News, you can clean tags too. Add more, preferably appropriate ones.

This is a viable option. A very viable option. Thanks Ossobuco for bringing it up. Too bad, thread's writer will ignore its obvious message.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:35 am
@tsarstepan,
That isn't a viable option at all . It takes 5 real tags to erase an ad-hominem tag. Certain ad-hominems are popular and will be parroted by more than one person.

It would take a considerable effort by a team of well-meaning members to counteract a popular ad-hominem tag (such as 'misogyny') . And only a few persistent taggers could easily put the ad-hominem tag back again. I

f I wanted to (which I don't) and I had four members who agreed with me I would have the 'misogyny' tag on every single thread in A2K (without moderator intervention of course). In affect this is what is happening. Some ad-hominem tags disappear rather quickly with the random replacements that couldn't happen by chance.

A quick look at the current threads on controversial topics will show you that the option you suggest isn't working.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:38 am
@maxdancona,
No it doesn't. I personally removed the misogyny tag from more then a dozen threads two days ago. It takes a little creative thinking but it can be done. You have no idea what you're talking about.
djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:39 am
or, you could just ignore the tags altogether, i do tag my own posts, rarely others, and then i forget about them, i don't use them for searches, i search my posts or topics in general

two words

tempest

teapot

get over this ridiculousness
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:43 am
@djjd62,
S'funny. We use storm and teacup.
Totally see your point, though.

Speaking of which, we are just getting the beginning of that weather here today.

Tail end of the Phillipine wotsit, apparently.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:43 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

or, you could just ignore the tags altogether, i do tag my own posts, rarely others, and then i forget about them, i don't use them for searches, i search my posts or topics in general

two words

tempest

teapot

get over this ridiculousness

That is funny.

In one thread you describe how you went through the "creative thinking" required to remove the misogyny tag from "dozens of threads". In the next you suggest that people should just ignore them.

I like your sense of humor Dj.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 07:44 am
@maxdancona,
It's amazing how many times you find people funny who dismiss you or disagree with you, max.