THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECT HERE . . .

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Do you know what the definition of is is?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:47 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Do you know what the definition of is is?

Third person singular present tense of be.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 05:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Who be the long term member who regularly denies evolution?

What be the topic of this thread?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 06:18 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/10289798_493236537494215_3317069326332608933_n.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 06:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
I would guess, and it is a pure guess as I don't hang around in the evo threads, that the long term attacker of evolution is the same person who probably wears a tinfoil hat and sees funny man made things on Mars.

Having not stayed more than a total of an hour in those threads over the past umpteen years, there might be a slim chance that there are several other members lurking about who might fit the bill, but my guess is definitely the aforementioned.

As far as the Spendi thing is concerned, yes. He is the Englishman I had in mind, but if you tell me he had adapted his beliefs as most other religious people had to do when evolution was presented to the world, then I will have to take your word for it as I never hung round long enough to even get remotely interested. Evo threads, to my mind, never achieve a single change of belief on either side, and are in my mind a complete waste of life.
Personally I prefer to waste my life whilst trying to extract a laugh out of silly situations, or tweaking the egos of some of the more right wing people here, who bluster in with their often outrageous views on life.

Don't get me wrong, as I have nothing against people wasting their lives now and then, in any way they choose.
I just don't like threads where everyone starts shouting and achieving precisely bugger all, and then getting into the self same thing the following day and achieving precisely the same bugger all as they did the day before. And so on and so on.

I like at least one good giggle before I put the kettle on and start work in the real world.

Life's too short to try to nail jelly on to the wall every day.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 07:05 am
@Lordyaswas,
Good post, Lordy. I understand what you were saying.

Anyway...at some point, I am sure Setanta will tell us all what the actual topic of this thread is...

...and will tell us the name of the person he has in mind. I guess he is just having a bit of fun with us about those two things right now.

Or he will acknowledge that he was over-stating his case...kinda acknowledge that he was wrong.

Or maybe neither of those two things.

Gosh, I could start a thread asking for votes as to which is most likely to happen.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 07:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Now don't try to lead me into any of this, Mr A.

I have a high regard for both of you and have read both people's posts here for years.
Both of you have made me laugh many times, and both have posted some really interesting stuff.

I wouldn't be half as amazingly brilliant (and handsome) as I am today if it wasn't for all the interesting people here posting stuff that leads me down weird and wonderful avenues of discovery.
I now just need to work on my self esteem.

If people actually stopped and thought about it, A2K is a pretty amazing place, really.

I'll bet that even half the people who left here for varying reasons over the years no doubt have a sneaky peek back in now and then, as they feel they are missing something.

Long may both of you clever, funny, grumpy oldtimers carry on slinging mud at each other. At least that would mean you are both still here.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 07:57 am
@Lordyaswas,

A2K is one of the most amazing places I've ever been to, Lordy. Came here from Abuzz...kicking and screaming, I gotta acknowledge, because I truly loved that place also. But once here...I immediately became delighted that I came.

And I enjoy everyone here.

I would never try to drag you into a "thing" going on.

Well...almost never. Wink

Anyway...A2K IS a treasure. Glad it helped you as much as it did me...to get brilliant and handsome!
InkRune

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 09:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Its delightly refreshing to be referred to as a treasure, even if I'm just a small part of the said a2k.

And how about a joke?

I saw a sign one one day. It read,
"Christmas trees, $2 a foot."
"Holiday trees, $4 a foot."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 03:05 am
@Lordyaswas,
Yes, i was referring to Gunga Dim in my opening post--something which i made clear in subsequent posts. He is one of the prime reasons that i consider evolution the most controversial subject here, as the thread title clearly states
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 05:25 pm
@Setanta,
yes but he has always come up with interesting bits from Creationist "Science"
I loved the clip that showed a skeleton of a hominid ( Australopithecene) in the mouth of an Allosaurus skeleton. Bothe were layed out across the bedding planes of some formation (probably some mid Jurassic site and there was clearly a skeleton of this hominid that was in the process of being eaten until the predator got smooshed.
I liked that one, it ws fun watching it get debunkd by the Cretonists themselves (They knew they were looking kinda stupid on that one)
Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 05:54 pm
@farmerman,
I think Gunga Dim is a wonderful source of entertainment. I also think is is full of more sh*t than sewage treatment plant.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 07:26 pm
I think it's clear the thread asks the question, which subject is the most contentious. When a word like troll is mentioned, for some folks the knee jerk reaction is "oh, if I disagree with you then I'm a troll?" I wouldn't assume to put words in Set's mouth, but my take was that he said that contentious issues sometimes go a little nuts, with the usual cast of characters.

When I began posting here years ago, I was surprised how vitriolic the religion forum was. Political Issues on SB were bloodbaths, but religion really seems to bring out the worst in people. My personal opinion is to live and let live when it comes to belief or non-belief. However, I think Set is right that evolution seems to be the breaking point for many, I just don't know.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 07:50 pm
@glitterbag,
That last sentence should have had 'Why' as the last word. The hamsters wouldn't let edit my last post.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:08 am
I don't know why, either. However, the issue of evolution has both religious and political overtones.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:13 am
@Setanta,
overtones? overtones?

Evolution theory IS A religion!!!

Point.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:18 am
@Setanta,
and mental health issues. (see above)
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 04:19 am
Well, as far as I can see, they're all connected. You get a numerically - and therefore politically - significant population that follows a mythological tradition, interprets whatever centuries-old scriptures literally, and the next thing you know they're letting their kids die because their favorite ancient stories say that they should reject modern medicine/science in favor of prayer, be it vaccinations, blood transfusions, antibiotics or simple surgery for an appendix. I wouldn't say I'm downright rabid about it, but I do think it's something that should be resisted for the greater good. Progress over regress.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 05:40 am
I don't disagree with your estimate of the motive for belief, but why do they go online to rant about it? I have my own ideas about that, but i'd be interested to know what other people think.

(By the way, the only alternative offered for most controversial subject so far has been rape. I don't agree, but i'm not trying to tell anyone that they can't offer alternatives.)
glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 10:56 am
@Setanta,
They go online because they're zealots. They become outraged if heretics dare challenge what they believe.