THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECT HERE . . .

InkRune

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 11:52 am
@glitterbag,
Im confused. Are you talking about Evolutionists or Christians?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 12:13 pm
@InkRune,
To put it another way, Are you talking about the Pope or the Pope?
InkRune

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 12:25 pm
@izzythepush,
Both side has the Zealots who say all who disagree are heretics, although for different reasons.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 12:30 pm
@InkRune,
Evolutionist is a ridiculous term, only used by religious nutters. I agree that there are some evangelical atheists whose behaviour mirrors that of other evangelists. Evolution, however, is a scientific theory, accepted by most right minded people regardless of what their religion might be.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 03:38 pm
@InkRune,
InkRune wrote:

Im confused. Are you talking about Evolutionists or Christians?

When I referred to zealots, I meant all religious groups. Every major religion has sub-groups of crackpots. The crackpots rarely understand the tenets of their denomination and are seldom accepted by the mainstream. Terms like evolutionists and secular humanists are made up to whip up hysteria among the less educated to convince them there is a conspiracy to eliminate their freedom of religion. The thing many seem to forget, is our constitution guarantees our right to worship, and our right not to worship.

Evolutionists, secularists, secular humanists are hot button words to label others as anti-God. And politicians love this stuff as they all pretend to love God more than their opponent does, making theirselves the only obvious choice for the voters. So if you love love God, you are told you can't trust some one who only believes 99.5% you have to go with the 100% believer, otherwise God will be bitterly disappointed.

That last paragraph sounds nuts doesn't it. And it is nuts, unfortunately it works. One district in the county I live in (not my Dist.) recently elected a man who promised the voters he would scrutinize every new bill and make sure it was consistent with the bible teachings. I didn't think he had a snowballs chance in hell, but he was elected. It's the freaking House of Delegates not the College of Cardinals. But as outrageous as I think it is, some people have been writing letters to the editor proclaiming how wonderful it will be to be represented by a God fearing Christian.
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 06:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Amen. If the worst thing that can be said about atheists is that they're rude and annoying online, then good for them. Religion is a controversial subject even when atheists were quiet. Theists of various flavors are at each others' throats all the time. If there's anything particularly controversial about being an atheist, it's the fact that they're calling bullshit on ALL religions and magical thinking in general. I can see how that would piss a lot of people off.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 08:43 pm
@FBM,
I'm so glad you got to posting in regular old a2k more than you first did, fbm.
InkRune

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 09:03 pm
@glitterbag,
Its a joke, i.e. both sides have screaming zealots. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 09:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, osso. I hope I'm not getting on too many people's nerves. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/icon_cheers.gif
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 10:55 pm
@FBM,
Actually the atheists and agnostics are not rude. Well, actually a few are but usually only after someone else insists they agree on whatever proof they attempt to force down someone's throat. My husband was raised as a Baptist and I was raised as a Catholic. We've never argued over religion, but I think it's been an education for both of us. He will ask questions about ceremonies or sacraments or holy days of obligation, and truthfully, sometimes I actually start to laugh when I explain the history or origin of various rites. But, it's also amusing to hear about some of the practices in his church back in Raleigh.

I recently attended a memorial mass for my dear friends mother, she was 93 when she died. It was a Catholic service, they conducted a short mass and
offered Communion. It was well done, but so foreign from my memory of the old rituals it didn't seem like the Church as I knew it, but it really hasn't for
years.
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 11:10 pm
@glitterbag,
I confess that I can be pushed/goaded/baited into being pretty rude sometimes, but (I hope) only after someone has consistently, persistently and demonstrably intellectually dishonest. For example, repeating the same logical fallacy over and over after they've alread had it explained, moving the goalposts, etc, denialism in general, I guess.

My last iteration as a believer was in the Episcopal church, so I know what you mean about the rituals. They can often be beautiful and moving, even for a non-believer.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 12:16 am
@FBM,
I'll have to write tomorrow, I'm almost asleep. Creationism is a lie cooked up by zealots who refuse to accept science.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 12:39 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I'll have to write tomorrow, I'm almost asleep. Creationism is a lie cooked up by zealots who refuse to accept science.

Nope, evolution is a lie, and religious fundamental evolutionists can not accept that evolution is not science, it is a religion.
Sooooo easy to see once you are out of it!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 01:46 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
Nope, evolution is a lie, and religious fundamental evolutionists can not accept that evolution is not science, it is a religion.
Sooooo easy to see once you are out of it!

evolution is increasingly looking like a half baked theory. Now they are talking about the building blocks of life being deposited by comet strikes..not so very different than by God. Me, I dont care much about how I got here or where I go, I am here now and I put my effort into making the most of that.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 02:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
evolution is increasingly looking like a half baked theory

yes! Well, ot is more than a ha;f baked theory, it was never baked in the first place!

All lies from A..Z to keep the lie alive.

I m very glad this evolution nonsense is crumbling.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 02:58 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
All lies from A..Z to keep the lie alive.

The scientists eventually learned the value of storytelling.

I believe in science, because I believe in the value of reason, while remembering that I and all humans are a good dose of irrational as well. What gets me ******* pissed off is that science is all about reason and what can be proved, about not indulging in fantasy.....then these assholes go and do it because they see some profit it in.

Science was in trouble long before I was born.

Building the nuclear bomb is another thing that I am none too happy about by the way. If it does not end up making us extinct it is sure going to make a run at it.
FBM

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 03:05 am
@hawkeye10,
Looks like we're stuck with it until something better comes along.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 03:10 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Looks like we're stuck with it until something better comes along.

EDIT: "IT" is assumed to be the theory of evolution.

We could always suspend the navel gazing and do some useful brain work. Coming up with an economical clean energy source would be appreciated. Maybe figure out a way to do some combination of limiting the human population and reducing the drain on the planet per human would be a step in the right direction. I could probably come up with another 100 ideas.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 03:59 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Maybe figure out a way to do some combination of limiting the human population and reducing the drain on the planet per human would be a step in the right direction.

limiting the population????? why?????
There is more then enough room for ALL people on eart and then a lot of land won't even be filled with people!

Overpopulation is a hoax!

Try flying over the USA and your belief will be changed immediately
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 04:01 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Building the nuclear bomb is another thing that I am none too happy about by the way. If it does not end up making us extinct it is sure going to make a run at it.

Don't be afraid a nucleair war is out of the question!!!!!
I assure you, that will never happen!
0 Replies