Is it crazy to talk to your cat?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 03:01 pm
@Banana Breath,
It it's crazy talking to your cat, the majority of humans talk to themselves. Where does that leave you? LOL
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 03:28 pm
@BillRM,
Oh wow! I can't imagine...but--it's hard to see a helpless little creature out there in the cold. I have made an appointment to have her spayed, get her vaccinations check her for lymphoma and cat AIDS ( can't remember the name of the test).
Germlat

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 03:37 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Good for you Smile

I miss my cat Sad Not only did we "talk" but I taught him to box!! Lucky for me, I've now taught my dog Rawaii to do the same, though he doesn't stand on his back legs to do it, like Bigsy did... Bigsy was a stray too Germlat, was cause some idiot thought it would be funny to drive faster and get him.

That sucks. Sorry about that. I lost my beloved dog just recently (my avatar). I wasn't looking for a pet....but--she's pretty adorable. I'm trying to read and learn how to care for a cat...I'm pretty clueless and have never really been around them.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 03:42 pm
@Germlat,
Thanks Smile And, sorry for the loss of your dog.

Cats are easy, cuddles, food, spoilt rotten and you can go away and not worry just get the neighbour to feed them.... Mind you get a bell, or the birds won't have a chance of survival Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 04:27 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
Thanks Smile And, sorry for the loss of your dog.

Cats are easy, cuddles, food, spoilt rotten and you can go away and not worry
just get the neighbour to feed them.... Mind you get a bell, or the birds won't have a chance of survival Smile
I have rescued them from pussy cats.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 04:33 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I started feeding a stray....the cat in turn informed me she has selected me as the the person to give her food, shelter, pay her vet bills, and give her affection....

You have not yet live until a mother cat have shown up at your front door and informed you
that you are not only going to take her in but also find loving homes for her kids.
I have had that happen.

David
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 04:38 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Sure. I bet they also listen if you speak can opener.

Haaahahaaa
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 04:45 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
check her for lymphoma and cat AIDS

Both of the above conditions can indeed shorten a cat life however it is not a death sentence if they come up positive as I have one cat of my two cats now positive and she been with me for over five years in good health and my other cat with vaccinations kept carefully up to date have not come up with a positive test even those they share the same household, food bowls and play together.

This is the second time I had have a cat that had checked positive in my household one with AIDS and the other with lymphoma virus with no harm done to my other cats who was protected by vaccinations.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 04:53 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Bribery!

Sure. I bet they also listen if you speak can opener.
No kidding around:
ITS ENUF JUST TO THINK "CAN OPENER"

to get an abrupt response. That applies to both canine people and feline people,
most repetitively, redundantly, and routinely at different random hours of the day or night over n over again.

David
BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 05:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David before I retired I would get up around 5 AM to get around for work and at that time I would feed the little dears.

Well on the weekend when I did not wish to get up that early my head cat would very gently places her one large paw on my face and press down. If I did not wake up or pretend not to wake up she would press a little harder and it that did not work she would allow just a little bit of her claws to come out.

At that point she have won and I would get up and feed them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 05:27 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

David before I retired I would get up around 5 AM to get around for work and at that time I would feed the little dears.

Well on the weekend when I did not wish to get up that early my head cat would very gently places her one large paw on my face and press down. If I did not wake up or pretend not to wake up she would press a little harder and it that did not work she would allow just a little bit of her claws to come out.

At that point she have won and I would get up and feed them.
Yea, mine used to press his nose
up against the tip of my nose to awaken me for his breakfast,
speaking of which: when r we and your mom going out to dinner????

Maybe take her target shooting?
My .44 special wants to get into her hand,
or for an easier recoil, just a .38 revolver? or .32 automatic ?

David
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 09:41 pm
The answer lies in the cat's replies!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 02:01 am
If I didn't talk to my cat I would miss intelligent conversation almost entirely!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 05:15 am
@margo,
About maybe 3O years ago, I was in my bedroom.
My pussy cat was lying there on a cushion, with her paws drawn up under her.
I was having a little fun talking to her, commenting something about her kittens,
whereupon she looked me directly in the eyes, -- eye to eye contact -- and she
let out a very long (and very un-characteristic) "Meeeeeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww".
She went for about 2O or 25 seconds with that "meow". She usually did not say ANYTHING
about anything. She was generally rather taciturn.

The impression that I got from that was that she was telling me
that she ALREADY knew about kittens because she had been a kitten,
all of her brothers n sisters had been kittens, her mom n dad had been kittens
and all of her children were kittens; therefore, she did not need MY advice on the subject.

However, this did not cause a rift in our relations.

David
BillRM

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 06:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David I have one little female cat that was hell on wheels willing to challenge large Toms and dogs when she feel it was call for such as chasing them away from food bowls.

In any case ,shortly after I took her in she attacked my dog who was on her last legs and within weeks of needing to be put down.

I then picked her up and told her face to face that if she ever did that again I would return her to the outside for good.

So help me I "hear" her said back to me ok cool down if she mean that must to you I will leave her alone and in fact she did leave the dog alone after that.

When she herself was in the back of a cage at the vet on her last legs I stood in front of the cage and told her I needed her to get better to control her daughter and she got to her feet and came to the front of the cage and rub her face against mine. Not an action that she have ever done before.

She pass that night so that was the last I ever saw her.

Cats do indeed at times talk back to their humans.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 08:25 am
@BillRM,
Regarding both cats n dogs,
I have posted sincerely in this forum before
that when my THOUGHTS, without movements,
have turned to feeding them, at random hours of the day,
I have seen them abruptly perk up from lying on the floor on a consistent basis,
as if I rang a dinner bell. I consider them to be telepathic.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 09:25 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
So help me I "hear" her said back to me ok cool down if she mean that must to you I will leave her alone and in fact she did leave the dog alone after that.

She's definitely your cat alright.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 09:38 am

In the wild, cats do not hold verbal conferences.
Yet, we see them employ co-ordinated attack patterns.
In order for those to happen, thay must be planned in advance
and the plan must be circulated among those who will execute it. I think its telepathic.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 10:08 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Something terribly happened today! I was getting her to a vet appointment to have her spayed and immunized. She got out of her box(as was driving down the freeway) and somehow pushed the window button down and slipped out. I spent time looking for her with two kind bystanders helping). Still...it's been a terribly traumatic morning...she ran into the woods...couldn't find her...it sucks.. It's cold out there and wet...poor baby ..I 'm feeling pretty inadequate...the poor girl....
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2014 01:49 pm
@Germlat,
Oh Germlat, I don't know what to say. She was a free spirit, if she was smart enough to get out of a car, she'll be smart enough to find someone to help her whilst keeping an eye out.

Maybe go back? Call her. Just so you can know that if she was around and wanted help she would come to you.. A lot of cats have a fear of cars and need to be caged well and talked to.

I'll try to make you smile. Bigsy was one of those. He urinated through fear in his cat cage on the way to the vet. All I could do was apologise. He had to go back the following week for a check-up. I decided to put a lead on him, held him, took him into the vets, he shook a little, cuddled him and sat him on my lap, patting him. Everyone kept looking at me, naturally. And any time thereafter that's what I did and he sat on my lap, shaking a little but "ok" with the whole thing.. I swear he was a dog in his past life.