The 'SOUL'. What is it?

Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 06:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yes, Frank, you are quite incoherent. For instance, how do you know that the gods don't decide which team wins in the super-ball each year? Why, so many fans are praying that their team wins -- it would make sense if gods would listen and intervene. If that's the case, "who will win the super-ball this year" implies theologic considerations. And you have no way to know if this is the case or not...

Beware! Even in your schizophrenic worldview, your two different senses of reality may collide.
carloslebaron

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 08:28 am
Soul is a religious concept that comes from a god who is thousands of years ahead from us in technology.

This god took the first man, put him to sleep with anesthesia, made a cut in his chest, took a rib, closed the cut made on his flesh, and from the taken bone was capable to do the most sophisticated cloning that is unknown for us, because this god fabricated a woman using that rib.

I shouldn't play much against that god, he knows too much...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:34 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
. . . how do you know that the gods don't decide which team wins in the super-ball each year? . . . .
Because the Super Bowl is irrelevant.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 10:51 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Yes, Frank, you are quite incoherent. For instance, how do you know that the gods don't decide which team wins in the super-ball each year? Why, so many fans are praying that their team wins -- it would make sense if gods would listen and intervene. If that's the case, "who will win the super-ball this year" implies theologic considerations. And you have no way to know if this is the case or not...

Beware! Even in your schizophrenic worldview, your two different senses of reality may collide.

Sounds as though you are getting desperate again, Olivier. I have to confess that I thoroughly enjoy it when you do. You are such a joy to watch squirm...and grasp at straws.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying-with-laughter.gif
Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 11:09 am
@neologist,
Sorry, a "bowl" it is.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 11:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
How do you know that the gods aren't sport fans? American football can be so... errr... captivating? Smile
MWal

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 11:38 am
The essence of knowledge and the imagination. The aura they give off, this what our souls are made of.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 11:45 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

How do you know that the gods aren't sport fans? American football can be so... errr... captivating? Smile

I love it when a person like you has to resort to questions like this, Olivier. I love when I so bother a person that he will do what you are doing in order to try to salvage some face in an argument in which he is being hammered.

Keep on painting, Olivier. You provide so much entertainment.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsJkfc-9OfVpShc8wIPixP51FucN4pdhX4tB4rMjjUvx1KJsOuZA
Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 12:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
When you can't answer a question, no need to pretend that it is ridiculous. Putting aside one part of reality from one another makes little sense if we're talking of the same reality. There's no logical reason to believe that a putative god or God would not use sports as one of His 'ways with the world'.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

When you can't answer a question, no need to pretend that it is ridiculous.

Very seldom I cannot answer a question, Olivier...and I never pretend a question that does baffle me is ridiculous.

If you are talking about the ridiculous crap you are trying to peddle here, I think any negative thoughts I have about it is well deserved.

Quote:
Putting aside one part of reality from one another makes little sense if we're talking of the same reality.

I have NEVER said that I put aside one part of reality from another, Olivier. Stop trying to paraphrase, because you have enough trouble just quoting.

Quote:

There's no logical reason to believe that a putative god or God would not use sports as one of His 'ways with the world'.

Fine...then think that a putative god or GOD would use sports as one of its ways of the world. I certainly am not stopping you from doing so.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQodjHv3Ma5Ys-sBGubnDXxGX38vn2UurRdYOPEkG7g5WUJQ-hjRA
Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Fine...then think that a putative god or GOD would use sports as one of its ways of the world. I certainly am not stopping you from doing so.

The point is: YOU believe that God, if he exists, is certainly not into sports, and yet YOU have no good reason to believe so. Only that it allows you to maintain an illusion of coherence, by keeping your 'gods' reality' and your 'Super Bowl reality' neatly separate... Like two distinct realities.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:36 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

The point is: YOU believe that God, if he exists, is certainly not into sports, and yet YOU have no good reason to believe so.

I do not do any "believing" at all...and IF A GOD EXISTS...I do not have ANY thoughts about what IT might possibly have as interests.

Why do you make crap up? Why not quote what I say...and argue against that if you must?

Quote:
Only that it allows you to maintain an illusion of coherence, by keeping your 'gods' reality' and your 'Super Bowl reality' neatly separate... Like two distinct realities.

There is no "illusion of coherence"...my arguments are coherent and consistent.

But do continue to paint. I love watching you do it.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3RobQq035IjLZt3vXeV6RAVDPbUzIr-NyaIigV013g9ZpFdydyw

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Beliefs about gods are also based on considerations, even when it’s damn near nothing, as you concede, or nothing at all. The considerations are also subjective, personal experiences, but they’re considerations nonetheless. You’re arbitrarily dismissing these considered beliefs in your assertions that they’re blind guesses.

The assertion, "There is a GOD"...is nothing more than a blind guess, Blue. The assertion, "I believe there is a GOD"...is nothing more than a blind guess being disguised using the word "believe"...apparently in an attempt to give the blind guess more gravitas.

This is in contradiction to your own assertions, though, namely that beliefs about gods are based on considerations, and according to you, considerations discount beliefs from being blind guesses. What's more, you don't address why you dismiss these considerations.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I do not do any "believing" at all...and IF A GOD EXISTS...I do not have ANY thoughts about what IT might possibly have as interests.

Therefore you concede that if a God exists, he could intervene in the Super Bowl...
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Beliefs about gods are also based on considerations, even when it’s damn near nothing, as you concede, or nothing at all. The considerations are also subjective, personal experiences, but they’re considerations nonetheless. You’re arbitrarily dismissing these considered beliefs in your assertions that they’re blind guesses.

The assertion, "There is a GOD"...is nothing more than a blind guess, Blue. The assertion, "I believe there is a GOD"...is nothing more than a blind guess being disguised using the word "believe"...apparently in an attempt to give the blind guess more gravitas.

This is in contradiction to your own assertions, though, namely that beliefs about gods are based on considerations, and according to you, considerations discount beliefs from being blind guesses.

Actually, I said it is based on experience. And it is. If you are raised a Catholic...the experience will tend to dispose you to guessing that there is a GOD.

But if you say, "I believe there is a GOD"...THAT IS A BLIND GUESS...despite the fact that experience has come into play.

If you think "I believe there is a GOD" is not a blind guess...

...explain why you think it is not.

'
Quote:
What's more, you don't address why you dismiss these considerations.

What do you mean by that?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:22 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Therefore you concede that if a God exists, he could intervene in the Super Bowl...

Absolutely, positively.

What does that have to do with anything I have actually said?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 04:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Guys, the soul might not need a God
mark noble

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 04:24 pm
@Olivier5,
I wouldn't sell living things.
You miss my point - ALL things, to me, are valuable in their own right, in and of themselves - What I value in life.... Money can't buy.
MWal

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 04:54 pm
@dalehileman,
Man + soul equals God in some sense. If we could achieve happiness for all on earth it would be heavenly, and our king godly.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 07:18 pm
On the soccer world cup, Netherland and Costa Rica were even with zero scores.

In order to be a winner, when the game was over and even, both teams have the chance to score by kicking the ball in what is known as "penalty".

While the Netherland players were standing up, the Costa Rica players stayed on their knees, as an act of asking god to help them to win the game.

Netherland won by scoring more penalties.

It is understood that god -at this time-didn't listen the prayers of the Central American team.

In this discussion, Olivier5 has scored and is winning.