The 'SOUL'. What is it?

Olivier5

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 11:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Evidently, you can't face your own incoherence, or you would have answered Blue's question. Being incoherent and remaining unaware of it is your ultimate reality, Frank. That's why you know nothing of it...
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 12:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Evidently, you can't face your own incoherence, or you would have answered Blue's question. Being incoherent and remaining unaware of it is your ultimate reality, Frank. That's why you know nothing of it...

I have already answered Blue's question, Olivier. I told you that...and I have mentioned that apparently Blue is trying to get me to jump through hoops.

If you...or Blue...truly think that the considerations that go into the question, "Who will win the Super Bowl this year?" are the same kinds of considerations that go into the question of "Is there a GOD?"...you both are so far removed from anything resembling reality to deal with the answers I gave.

But...you do amuse...and for that, I am grateful.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 12:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
We're saying: there's only one reality.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 01:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

We're saying: there's only one reality.

More than likely, there is only one reality, Olivier. There IS...whatever IS.

I have not suggested otherwise.

If you had read my response to Blue's question (instead of just pretending it does not exist)...you will see that I am not saying there is more than one reality...I am simply saying that I use the word "reality" differently in different circumstance. I do that same thing with the word "know."

There is a big difference between saying that one uses the same word in two different ways depending upon circumstances/context...and saying that I am asserting two different realities.

If you are not up to understanding that...get someone to help you.

And try to keep up.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 02:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So you have two distinct and incoherent understanding of the same reality.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 03:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

So you have two distinct and incoherent understanding of the same reality.

Why are you so anxious to paraphrase, Olivier? I said exactly what I meant.

If you had read my response to Blue's question (instead of just pretending it does not exist)...you will see that I am not saying there is more than one reality...I am simply saying that I use the word "reality" differently in different circumstance. I do that same thing with the word "know."
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 03:41 pm
You assume that what you're trying to say is understandable to everyone and resort to petty nit-picking and put downs when pressed for further explanation of your assertions.

So far you've only explained that you differentiate "reality" when it comes to predicting Super Bowl winners and “reality” when it comes to musing about god, but you haven’t explained why you differentiate the two other than saying you can only laugh about it.

Further, you differentiate between “the reality” that you’re typing at your keyboard and are having a conversation in an internet forum and that each person is born and eventually dies from “the reality” of whether you exist or not (which contradicts your earlier assertion of “the reality” that each person is born and eventually dies—unless you have some other definitions of the words “exist,” “born” and “die”) and whether you are a manifestation of an eternal and infinite somethingness, and whether you came into being just an instant ago complete with all of your supposed memories (if you’re unsure of your memories how can you be sure about being at your keyboard typing, predicting Super Bowl winners?), but here again you don’t explain why you differentiate these things between reality and "REALITY" except to say that it’s other peoples’ problems if we don’t grasp this concept of yours.

You seem to assume that everyone should make these distinctions and that they are self-evident when the reality is that your assumptions couldn’t be further from the truth.

What presumption!
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 04:32 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

You assume that what you're trying to say is understandable to everyone and resort to petty nit-picking and put downs when pressed for further explanation of your assertions.

So far you've only explained that you differentiate "reality" when it comes to predicting Super Bowl winners and “reality” when it comes to musing about god, but you haven’t explained why you differentiate the two other than saying you can only laugh about it.

Further, you differentiate between “the reality” that you’re typing at your keyboard and are having a conversation in an internet forum and that each person is born and eventually dies from “the reality” of whether you exist or not (which contradicts your earlier assertion of “the reality” that each person is born and eventually dies—unless you have some other definitions of the words “exist,” “born” and “die”) and whether you are a manifestation of an eternal and infinite somethingness, and whether you came into being just an instant ago complete with all of your supposed memories (if you’re unsure of your memories how can you be sure about being at your keyboard typing, predicting Super Bowl winners?), but here again you don’t explain why you differentiate these things between reality and "REALITY" except to say that it’s other peoples’ problems if we don’t grasp this concept of yours.

You seem to assume that everyone should make these distinctions and that they are self-evident when the reality is that your assumptions couldn’t be further from the truth.

What presumption!

If you want to think the considerations that go into deciding who might win the Super Bowl this season...are the same as the considerations that go into deciding if there is a GOD or not...

...go for it, Blue.

It is absurd...and very laughable...but you certainly have a right to be absurd and to cause laughter.

I can ask almost any dedicated football fan for his/her selection of the likeliest team to win the Super Bowl. The relative strengths of the offensive and defensive squads will play a part in the response; the abilities of the coaching staffs...and the health of the players will play a part. Past performance will play a part...as will the schedule each team faces...and how the team has performed during the part of the schedule already finished.

And an informed guess will be offered...which may or may not come close to what eventually happens. But the considerations will be many...and visible.

IF I ask a theist if there is a GOD...or a strong atheist if there are gods...I will get an answer based on damn near nothing except a bias...a "yes" or "no" that is a totally blind guess.

Now, if you want to discount all that and consider that to be hypocrisy and evidence of a lack of coherence or consistency on my part...

...by all means DO IT.

It is an absurdity...but DO IT IF YOU WANT.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRphiZHO2k62gIThwsQaYLJOVpxTeI0_oX-hX5gR0CP9by1tkbI

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3jrvAiF4EYOF2K-Z755jj6AFcBbMAF5GEBGJtqC7WZ6dSENcynw

http://yoursmiles.org/psmile/clown/p0815.gif

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/humour-blague/clown-jonglerie/vil2_joker3.gif

If you are still wondering, Blue...

...I think this tack of your is absolutely nuts.

Sorry. I've always liked you...but you have fallen off the edge here.

Olivier5

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 05:12 pm
Someone opened the cuckoo's cage.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 05:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am simply saying that I use the word "reality" differently in different circumstance. I do that same thing with the word "know"

You need two different 'uses' because you have two unreconcilable understandings of reality, and of knowledge.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 05:27 pm
@Olivier5,
Do you happen to know how many different realities each individual has? LOL

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 06:46 pm
@Olivier5,
Subjectively the goalposts shift - The same as 'purpose/meaning'.
One man's treasure is another man's trash.
One man's meaningful is another man's pointless.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 07:29 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Someone opened the cuckoo's cage.

Be thankful you made it out.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 07:29 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
I am simply saying that I use the word "reality" differently in different circumstance. I do that same thing with the word "know"

You need two different 'uses' because you have two unreconcilable understandings of reality, and of knowledge.

Whatever!
Olivier5

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:13 pm
@mark noble,
That's not an answer to my question though. If men are not worth more than anything else, how much gold for a child?
mark noble

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 08:33 pm
@Olivier5,
I answered you - Depends on the beholder.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 09:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Beliefs about gods are also based on considerations, even when it’s damn near nothing, as you concede, or nothing at all. The considerations are also subjective, personal experiences, but they’re considerations nonetheless. You’re arbitrarily dismissing these considered beliefs in your assertions that they’re blind guesses.

What’s with the pics? Are you channeling your inner Romeo Fabulini?

You like me, you really like me!
carloslebaron

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 11:36 pm
Soul is a religious concept.

Now if you want a concise definition based in this religious word, then soul is your spiritual DNA.

A soul is a unique identification, and you can notice that in some religions that believe in re-incarnation, where the same personality of the former will come out in the new living.

While in some religions the soul is eternal, in other religions like the Judeo-Christian (when is interpreted properly) a soul can die.

From the branch of science, whatever that is not testable, objective, empirical, etc. it doesn't belong to science. So, for science the word soul can't be accepted. Perhaps a similar concept with a different name can be used, but if not objective, testable, or physically real, then is not science.

From the branch of philosophy, whoa! the soul and existence are two concepts that have been mixed like crazy. You can tell by reading the several opinions given here.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 04:21 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Beliefs about gods are also based on considerations, even when it’s damn near nothing, as you concede, or nothing at all. The considerations are also subjective, personal experiences, but they’re considerations nonetheless. You’re arbitrarily dismissing these considered beliefs in your assertions that they’re blind guesses.

The assertion, "There is a GOD"...is nothing more than a blind guess, Blue. The assertion, "I believe there is a GOD"...is nothing more than a blind guess being disguised using the word "believe"...apparently in an attempt to give the blind guess more gravitas.

Quote:
What’s with the pics? Are you channeling your inner Romeo Fabulini?

Nope. Just like pics. At times, they are worth a thousand words.

Quote:
You like me, you really like me!

Yup.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 06:35 am
@mark noble,
Ok. So how much would YOU sell your children for? If you can't fin buyers wholesale, I hear you could make quite some money by selling them bit by bit on the live organs market...

I am trying to show that a purely materialistic outlook leads to pure horror. It cannot support a sense of ethics. A worldview in which men are worth no more than cattle leads to mass murders, holocausts and purges.